Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tigers' Alan Trammell, Jack Morris Enter Baseball Hall of Fame

Well deserved and but no Lou Whitaker? A real shame because Lou's numbers are comparable to Joe Morgan's and his defense was superb--right with the best second basement ever. What happens when you are a quiet guy doing your job day in and day out.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...ame/108495876/

+1 for Sweet Lou.

Agree. Long overdue for sure.

I really think Whitaker is more deserving than Morris, who was below avg. probably 4 of his last 5 or 6 years. Whitaker's numbers are almost identical to Trammell, especially their career WAR numbers. I don't understand how he was not even on the Modern Era Committee ballot. Now the Tigers will retire Morris and Trammell's numbers and Whitaker will be further ignored. It does put the Tigers in an awkward situation because all the retired numbers are hall of famers except Willie Horton, who was given a statue for his contributions to the city as well as his career.

I always loved Lou. The Tigers should retire his number, too. I love that Cal Ripken said that Tram-Whit's record of 2nd Base-Short Stop playing together will be harder to break than his record, because it would require 2 players to have very long, totally over-lapping careers as starters, with only a handful of missed games between them. CAL RIPKEN praising your longevity and work ethic is worth more than any committee vote, if you ask me.

It's a total crime that Sweet Lou doesn't get in.

I know, CK. My joy at Tram & JMo getting in is tempered by this oversight. I hope it is somehow corrected, and the Tigers should retire his number anyway.

Sweet Lou will likely get in during the 2019 ballot. If he doesn't it's a true crime.

Isn't anyone else bothered by the fact Ilitch is now only retiring Tram and Morris now that they're in the Hall of Fame. Nothing's changed since they retired, only that they're Hall of Famers. Why wasn't this done like 20 years ago?

Now time to get Lolich in the HOF!

Right! And Frank Lary!