Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    So a guy that tours with multiple black members in his band, dated and lived with several black women and has a mixed race son is a "Proud racist"? If you don't like his music, politics or the food at his restaurants that's one thing, but that sure seems like an odd track record for someone that is a "Proud racist".
    I will take the bait and pose a question. One, that sounds an awful lot like the people who say something ignorant and racist but then claim that they have black friends so it is ok. You can have people close to you but still overall have racial prejudices. Look no further than Thomas Jefferson.

Two, assuming that Kid Rock isn't at all racist, is it really any better that he is blatantly using racist symbols to appeal to a certain group? Being racist is bad but using the beliefs of those people to profit is somehow better?

I tend to lean more towards Kid Rock being a conman than blatant racist. He appropriates culture and knows how to market it to make a profit. When you do that with confederate symbols that makes him no better than the people he is appealing to.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    You can have people close to you but still overall have racial prejudices. Look no further than Thomas Jefferson.
    Yes, big difference in owning slaves in one case,... and dating and having children with black women in the other. Not sure how anyone could miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Two, assuming that Kid Rock isn't at all racist, is it really any better that he is blatantly using racist symbols to appeal to a certain group? Being racist is bad but using the beliefs of those people to profit is somehow better?
    Because YOU and some others can only see racism in the Confederate States of America Flag doesn't mean that's what everyone else thinks when they see it. And it's NOT ok for you to label others based on what YOU think of something. It's what THEY think that makes them racist or not. And based on the sum total of his ACTIONS, there's little if any reason to believe he's a racist.

So a guy that tours with multiple black members in his band, dated and lived with several black women and has a mixed race son is a "Proud racist"? If you don't like his music, politics or the food at his restaurants that's one thing, but that sure seems like an odd track record for someone that is a "Proud racist".
    I guess Donald Sterling [[former owner of the LA Clippers) can't be racist either because he was dating a black woman at time he got caught on tape saying racist things about black people. Solid logic there, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    I guess Donald Sterling [[former owner of the LA Clippers) can't be racist either because he was dating a black woman at time he got caught on tape saying racist things about black people. Solid logic there, bro.
    Same goes for a number of black people that I've met in so-called Detroit power circles who have said that they don't want other black people [[or anyone else for that matter) to succeed in creating a new Detroit because then the current "elite circles" would be displaced. Likewise for those with ties to the street culture who have said they don't want Detroit to improve because their lifestyle would be "gentrified" away...

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Yeah, because an 80 year married billionaire paying a young woman for sex is exactly the same thing. Solid logic there, bro.

Yeah, because an 80 year married billionaire paying a young woman for sex is exactly the same thing. Solid logic there, bro.
    Hey that's your logic, he had a black girlfriend so can't be racist. You gonna push the goal posts back now?

Oh let me guess, it's apples and oranges because he's a billionaire and Kid Rock is only a millionaire? Certainly all of the women Kid Rock has copulated with over the years, black and white, were drawn to him based solely on his good looks and personality and not his immense wealth and fame, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    Yes, big difference in owning slaves in one case,... and dating and having children with black women in the other. Not sure how anyone could miss that.

Because YOU and some others can only see racism in the Confederate States of America Flag doesn't mean that's what everyone else thinks when they see it. And it's NOT ok for you to label others based on what YOU think of something. It's what THEY think that makes them racist or not. And based on the sum total of his ACTIONS, there's little if any reason to believe he's a racist.
    Yes, thank you. I am well aware of the differences. It still points out that simply being nice to black people or sleeping with them doesn't mean you can't also be racist.

I see racism in that flag because it represents the Confederacy. You know, that group of treasonous states that wanted to leave the union in order to have slaves. Crazy that I would make that sort of association. Feel free to celebrate the flag of treasonous slave owners though, I will continue to judge you. I guess I should be more tolerant of those with Nazi flags as well? You can twist the meaning of something all you want but people know what that flag represents and what the states who fought under that were fighting for.

Well, many of the same activists, politicians, and ministers who protest Kid Rock also pal around with the likes of the Nation of Islam.

I am black and I will say that just because someone else is black [[or another minority), a Democrat, or a liberal doesn't mean that he or she can't be racist as well.

That whole area is like Detroit's Disney World. Nothing is authentic, or even particularly good, but they know their customers are by and large not locals so they can serve Applebee's [[or lower) quality food at twice the price. The people eating at Kid Rock's aren't really risk takers, and they're certainly not looking to have an experience Downtown that's different from what they experience in the suburbs.

Since Coleman Young - that race card gets played in Detroit !!!

Forget the food sucks, and is overpriced
    -- it's a Black/White "thing" in the D

It really doesn't matter who gets a W in the Win column
    -- as long as you representin' in Detroit !!!!!!!

How many black ice skater players on Hockey Town Teams ???..........

If we could just get pass the nonsense you might get public transit
    to actually work in this area , eh LBrooksP what ya say brotha ???

Take a risk - ride a bus/train/transit with another race ......[[ouch)
    Naw , take the damn car and pay another $20 for parking !!!!

Happy Holidays to all
    - regardless of what you serve on the table for dinner
    Last edited by O3H; December-22-17 at 10:56 PM.

Harry's Bar, at the corner of Clifford and the I-75 service drive, tucked in the corner of the LCA, 300 feet from the main entrance. Plenty of parking in their 2 lots.

Most underappreciated restaurant in Detroit. Bar food raised to a new level of excellence. They take pride in their food. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

^^^ I love to hear about places like that. Good spots not all over-hyped. I'm not much of a bar goer but may try 'em out!

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    Harry's Bar, at the corner of Clifford and the I-75 service drive, tucked in the corner of the LCA, 300 feet from the main entrance. Plenty of parking in their 2 lots.

Most underappreciated restaurant in Detroit. Bar food raised to a new level of excellence. They take pride in their food. Not cheap, but worth every penny.
    Truth. Great spot.

Awesome food - 508 Monroe Ave, Detroit, MI 48226 - http://www.fiveguys.com/

About 1 mile from LCA

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    That whole area is like Detroit's Disney World. Nothing is authentic, or even particularly good, but they know their customers are by and large not locals so they can serve Applebee's [[or lower) quality food at twice the price. The people eating at Kid Rock's aren't really risk takers, and they're certainly not looking to have an experience Downtown that's different from what they experience in the suburbs.
    Interestingly enough, many people in the neighborhoods [[outside of Downtown, Midtown, Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, etc) like Applebees, Friday's, IHOP, Big Boy, etc. 'Authentic' and "particularly good" depends on the audience. For some, it's Coney Islands, Captain Jay's, and the local rib or soul food place. Others prefer something entirely different. Most people [[city or suburban) aren't risk takers. Unfortunately, a lot of this kind of talk is just more divisiveness and pseudo-elitism...

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Interestingly enough, many people in the neighborhoods [[outside of Downtown, Midtown, Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, etc) like Applebees, Friday's, IHOP, Big Boy, etc. 'Authentic' and "particularly good" depends on the audience. For some, it's Coney Islands, Captain Jay's, and the local rib or soul food place. Others prefer something entirely different. Most people [[city or suburban) aren't risk takers. Unfortunately, a lot of this kind of talk is just more divisiveness and pseudo-elitism...
    Great post Town Cluber. People eat what they like and that's why there are so many different choices. Works out good for everyone.

Notice how there are are ZERO posts about the personal experience at Kid Rocks restaurant - obviously its not that great to draw people in..........

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Notice how there are are ZERO posts about the personal experience at Kid Rocks restaurant - obviously its not that great to draw people in..........
    That's quite a stretch--given that this site isn't exactly representative of the average [[Metro) Detroiter.

Some might say there are 4 Million residents of greater Metro Detroit.
    The "buzz", "hype", "word of mouth" failed miserably for Kid Rock ?
    Metro Detroit is 14th among the nation's metropolitan areas, according to some studies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3