Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Effectiveness of Detroit APPS

Do these type of programs make a true difference ?
    Are things a whole lot better as we enter 2018 ?

http://www.detroitmi.gov/How-Do-I/Re...oken-Watermain

http://www.detroitmi.gov/How-Do-I/Mo...ImproveDetroit

Remember this event just a few weeks ago - NO water ???
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...nty/795934001/

These apps are very new to Detroit. Too new to have a track record. I think they are a great step in the right direction. They move the issues into a place they can be tracked. Without a good tracking system, you'll never know if you're making improvements.

The parking app is a godsend and works very well. No more dealing with broken meters and fumbling for change. Pay inside the warmth of your car and get nudged when your time is running out. Driving up city revenue while reducing the number of fines. win-win

The Improve Detroit app seems like a success to me. Three items resolved, and one, the most recent, in progress.

For anyone using this app, report a SPECIFIC problem at a SPECIFIC location. General rants are entertaining to read, but won’t get the correct repair crews to the correct locations.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Do these type of programs make a true difference ?
    Yes, they make a difference. I've been in a couple cities where parking is done by app, or by phone. Its great. Easy. Good use of new resources. Same with the 311 apps. Its what government should be doing.

Absolutely. After catching on of those adorable fix-rate $45 tickets from running out of time with the traditional at-the-meter coin or credit card options I downloaded the app. Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The parking app is a godsend and works very well. No more dealing with broken meters and fumbling for change. Pay inside the warmth of your car and get nudged when your time is running out. Driving up city revenue while reducing the number of fines. win-win

Yeah, I've only used the parking app but it is very useful. I wish it gave the option to buy in other than one hour increments, but it definitely beats feeding the meter.

These are great apps. I use the parking app all the time...saves me from digging through the car looking for quarters. As a resident, I have used the Improve Detroit app a number of times to report a problem [[large pothole, downed tree, etc.) and they have always been promptly addressed and resolved. These are both welcomed improvements.

I'm talking about FIXING stuff - not some silly parking situation - jeesh !!!

Well we had to have our outside kitchen wall sink pipes replaced with plastic. They kept freezing and bursting. It was a complex repair oddly.

Now we still leave the water running a slight bit over night when the temperature goes into the teens!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Agreed!

What I would love is for them to develop an in-app reporting system for illegally parked cars. The app user snaps a photo of the license plate of the offending vehicle and submits it. Vehicle make/model and offense can be added info, but the location can easily be based off of the app user's GPS coordinates. The nearest enforcement officer is pinged and makes their way to issue a ticket.

I'm so tired of cars parked in bike lanes, crosswalks, bus stops, etc.

We’ve used the Improve Detroit App to report abandond cars. Take photos of expired plates, flat tires, etc. Report make and model, color, plate number, location, and length of time that you know its its been there.