Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Former LEO Found Not Guilty for Shooting man begging for his life

From article:

A former police officer was acquitted Thursday of the "execution"-style killing of an unarmed man who was pleading for his life, setting off more outrage over another cop getting off despite graphic evidence.

Philip "Mitch" Brailsford was found not guilty Thursday of second-degree murder for shooting Daniel Shaver in a La Quinta Inn & Suites hallway in Mesa, Arizona.

But the horror of the incident was only fully learned after the acquittal, when authorities released body camera footage of Brailsford killing the 26-year-old as he berated him and forced him to crawl toward him.

http://www.newsweek.com/police-relea...hooting-742241

I'm normally one to give law enforcement the benefit of the doubt, but his cop screwed up. You can't bark contradictory commands at a drunk guy and then shoot him when he messes them up. I will agree that at the moment the man is shot he is clearly going for his waistband, and add that to the reason they were called on the scene [[Man with a gun) and there's enough reasonable doubt to avoid a murder conviction. That said, the victim is clearly intoxicated and was rousted in the middle of the night from his room. There's no reason for the officer to be interacting this way with a civilian that was showing no signs of aggression or defiance.

Trigger-happy cop. Maybe the victim's family can bring a wrongful death suit.

I was mortified the first time I saw the video. I watched it a few times more and Shaver makes a sudden move reaching for his back pocket. Philip Brailsford probably had enough body armor on to have let Shaver reveal what he was going for, but it's a tough call. Don't get stupid when confronted by cops.

^^^ It has been argued that he may have been trying to pull up his shorts. First things first, I don't get the whole demand to 'crawl' while at the same time cross your legs, while on your knees at the same time, hands up in the air.... eh what was next? Rub your stomach, slowly, counter-clockwise?

Sounds like the impossible 'twister' game which the man failed to his demise. The other cop couldn't have secured him while the other officer gave orders?

Also, the aiming officer would not allow the man to speak. It was just a way over the top for securing someone obviously intoxicated.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-10-17 at 12:18 PM.

How about being ordered to cut off your dogs head to be tested for rabies after being shot?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pets-head.html

• Goodwin says he was then ordered to remove his beloved pet's head - or he would be sent to jail
    • Cops said it was so the head could be sent to a lab for rabies testing

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    How about being ordered to cut off your dogs head to be tested for rabies after being shot?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pets-head.html

• Goodwin says he was then ordered to remove his beloved pet's head - or he would be sent to jail
    • Cops said it was so the head could be sent to a lab for rabies testing
    Is this real? If so, this is just awful. Did not even watch the video or finish the article. What happened to the dumbass, so called cop?

^ Yes it is real with several different sources with video,snopes verified,if that means anything.Officer was placed on administrative leave as of now.

Sick.

Sad part of both of these cases is the very small percentage of officers makes the rest look bad and generalization kicks in.

I’ve seen this game. It’s called, If you want to shoot someone, shout confusing, conflicting commands long enough, and eventually the suspect will do something wrong. Then you can justify shooting him for not complying.

^^^ Yep, that's what I was thinking, listening really carefully to the police officer commands.

I guess he figured this'd be easy to justify, dismiss, 'low-profile' - and he'd go on his way. NOPE!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-14-17 at 10:38 AM.

That cop deserves some kind of jail time or at least revocation of his badge

If the situation was that dangerous, you:

1. Have the suspect lay face down with his hands locked behind his head.
    2. Wait for backup to cuff him while you have him covered.

I've heard from other LEOs that they had no idea what this officer was trying to do. Having him flail around on the ground is more dangerous than simply walking five steps down the hall and cuffing him.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    If the situation was that dangerous, you:

1. Have the suspect lay face down with his hands locked behind his head.
    2. Wait for backup to cuff him while you have him covered.

I've heard from other LEOs that they had no idea what this officer was trying to do. Having him flail around on the ground is more dangerous than simply walking five steps down the hall and cuffing him.
    Also had his weapon emblazoned with "YOU'RE FUCKED"; he knew what he was doing; looking for an excuse to shoot him