Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Gratiot Redevelopment Thread

Gratiot is on the rise!

I've read about and noticed first hand quite a bit of development along Gratiot Avenue this past year, so I thought I'd start a thread to track the progress. Some of the developments on the radar at this time include:

1. The new tallest building in the city, which will be at Woodward and Gratiot.

2. Redevelopment of the former Joe Muer's site at Gratiot and the Fisher Fwy ramp by the good folks at Platform Development.

3. Renovation of the former police station-y building at Gratiot and Dubois.

4. A new NSO building on Mack, behind the Goeschel Building.

5. Renovation of Dueweck Park at Gratiot and Warren [[pic attached). The park has a new shelter, basketball courts, and a rock boulder border.

6. Development of some type of new housing project at Van Dyke and Warren, one block east of Dueweck Park [[went by this morning and it has been cleared and prepped for development, with utilities in).

7. Whatever redevelopment is happening across the block from On the Rise Bakery at Gratiot near McClellan [[a whole block has been cleared and it appears that it is being prepped for a building, perhaps like the newish building On the Rise occupies).

As an East-Sider all my life, its heartening to see Gratiot taking off. I'd love to hear additional details about these developments, as well as news about other projects coming on line. And, hey, I guess, speramus meliora; resurget cineribus, right?

Name:  2017-12-05 08.44.03.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  78.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Gratiot is on the rise!
    So nice to see some positive developments at last along what has long been one of the city's most neglected thoroughfares. The Eastern Market area of Gratiot is booming, and I think it shows potential signs of spreading northeastward up the street.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Renovation of the former police station-y building at Gratiot and Dubois.
    Of course, that building once was an actual police station. It was the Hunt St. Station [[later 3rd Precinct) from its completion in 1894 to 1959. Its former police use is made plainly evident by the carvings around the building's entrance.

A little more history:
    http://detroit1701.org/Hunt%20Street...20Station.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Without a doubt, the 3rd is the most gorgeous of the still-standing historic Detroit Police Stations, in my opinion. Though some may argue for the old 8th Precinct, I contend that the sheer artistic beauty of the decorative sculpture, in addition to the Victorian architecture put this treasure at #1. Detroit, please take care of this precious piece of our history. It is literally a work of art!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl;538652[I
    ].....Of course, that building once was an actual police station. It was the Hunt St. Station [[later 3rd Precinct) from its completion in 1894 to 1959. [/I]

A little more history:
    http://detroit1701.org/Hunt%20Street...20Station.html

You'll all be happy to know about my redevelopment of the block of Gratiot between Grandy and Jos Campau, where two historic storefronts are being restored as well as lofts/apartments above. The buildings were built in 1877 and 1905 respectively. Notably the 1905 building was the home of Jimmie's Bike Shop for many years before going into foreclosure. It's a "small" project compared to some of these other large developments, but a seriously a big undertaking for me and the tenants involved. I truly believe it's the smaller buildings that lend more character to the urban fabric so it's been very rewarding to bring these properties back to life. But it has been hard to convince lenders to fund a project that will end up with "only" five rentable units. Kind of too bad that banks are not more eager to fund smaller building redevelopments as there are many of these types of buildings across the city. I am also working on redeveloping the open space & land on my block and around the area with some nice park space and possibly future constrution. Currently, only one of the two buildings is occupied by local art rep/gallery Playground Detroit, and work will begin in earnest on the Jimmie's Bike Shop building in Spring 2018. Heard it here first!

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 2.28.49 PM.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  133.4 KB

Lots of character and potential there. Good luck.

What were once in the building on the southeast corner of Gratiot and Belvidere? It's a blindush two storey brick building? Are the any vintage photos of Gratiot between Vandyke and McClellan?

I would love to see the alleys reopened in the areas bordered by Vandyke to the eedt, Gratiot to the North, McClellan to the east, and Mack to the southeast. The alleys could be transformed into bike and walking corridors where events could be held in some of them as well as venders

I found some info on the project at Gratiot south of McClellan. Its called Gratiot Cental Commons and its being developed at 9100 Gratiot by the Detroit Catholic Pastoral Alliance, in partnership with MHT Housing, a low income housing developer. The project has secured LIHTC funds through MSHDA and has broken ground. It will feature over 35 residential units and 12,000 square feet of commercial space in a zero-setback building fronting Gratiot. A pic is here:

http://www.dcpasite.com/our-programs...ntral-commons/