Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Umm, nothing much happened per the first charges that went off @ 8:30 AM...... they may have to go to plan B. Blasts did not go as planned. Just smoke. Nothing fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Umm, nothing much happened per the first charges that went off @ 8:30 AM...... they may have to go to plan B. Blasts did not go as planned. Just smoke. Nothing fell.
    The Barton Marllow engineers must be so proud today. The old girl just withstood a coordinated detonation. 🤣

Needed more Boom!

Even though they're broadcasting the pictures live, the Det. News posts at 9:03 am that in a matter of 10 seconds a highly anticipated implosion brought down the upper ring.

Fake News!

^^^ Hah. The epitome of, I would say........ my bad for bringing it up.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-03-17 at 09:37 AM.

How shocking, incorrect news in the face of conflicting realities!

Perhaps our first big heavy snow will do what the explosions did not. I'd hate to be the person to go up that structure to investigate what went wrong........

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Even though they're broadcasting the pictures live, the Det. News posts at 9:03 am that in a matter of 10 seconds a highly anticipated implosion brought down the upper ring.

They planned for the wrecking ball after the implosion. I don't think it was supposed to bring the whole thing down.

That's true.

It was the ghost of John Bonham. 'Houses of the Holy' never come down easy.Name:  1977_04-30_PontiacSilverdome_crowd-venue.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  44.4 KB

Oops. Pity the workers who get to go in there to see what went wrong in a structure that might just needs a good breeze to finish.

My wife took the kids. The viewing lot was packed. The inner ring was supposed to come down [[the bit that held up the roof) but it didn't. I could hear the explosion from 6 miles away, and it was loud from here.

I've seen shows about imploding buildings - when this happens they generally leave the structure alone for a day before checking out what happened. Sometimes it only takes a few more small charges, or they'll tie the supports to a few bulldozers [[with a LONG cable) and pull it the rest of the way down.

It's not uncommon. The demolition guys work off of whatever blueprints are available, which might not include on-site changes made for some reason or another. The blueprints say you need at least X grade concrete for the supports, but you can only get Y grade concrete, so you use Y grade concrete. Now the supports are 20% stronger.
    Last edited by JBMcB; December-03-17 at 12:18 PM.

They're saying it was a wiring problem. I find that hard to believe. I thought they routinely do a continuity test just before ignition.

I set my alarm to go see it but then I decided I'd rather sleep.

Anything associated with the Detroit Lions is automatically scheduled for disaster. Take a knee.

I watched but no worries, it's all over the internet now!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    I set my alarm to go see it but then I decided I'd rather sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I watched but no worries, it's all over the internet now!
    I'm glad I stayed home! In the YouTube video I watched people were laughing that none of it fell after the explosions.

Built Ford tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    It was the ghost of John Bonham. 'Houses of the Holy' never come down easy.Name:  1977_04-30_PontiacSilverdome_crowd-venue.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  44.4 KB
    I'm in that pic somewhere...unless it was during a restroom break.

This dud was kind of an allegory of the Lions' season--great expectations, a great start, then nothing.

Why would you expect any different? The Lions bombed in there for years and it never came down.��

Everybody knows you schedule implosions at Lions stadiums for 1:00 pm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast