Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Where are the calls to remove the metal detectors at drunken NFL football games, Beer swilling MLB stadiums and god knows what their on concerts where we will be so much safer with the gun toting hero wannabes that will protect us from emotionaly unstable idiots packing guns so the rest of us can get caught in the crossfire of their life long dream of getting in a shootout like they see on TV?

Seems like every time we get this shit we have to hear that “get rid of the gun free zones because we need gun filled zones”

Well that plan didn’t work in this case.

A perimeter fence and the metal detectors might have.

Nero Guest

I think that teens still need parental supervision at their age. The curfew was the right response.

Canceling next year's event is not the right response. Did they cancel races in Boston after the Boston Marathon bombing? Are they still thinking about holding outdoor concerts in Las Vegas?

I do believe that Detroit celebrated the end of Devil's Night recently. Let us not blow things out of proportion, but do let us call for justice. Everyone just wants to see Detroit respond like any other city. For awhile Detroit government and the DPD wasn't doing that. That is what we do not want to see anymore.

We just want to see proper responses. No one is really blaming Detroit for society-wide problems. Detroit trying to take some surprise progressive steps for the future might even win over some new hearts whom are invested in the matter.

OK, it time for a news reference link or two. Police Chief Craig stops short of a curfew for this event, yet also seems to be considering the option. The article states that the event started from a high school game at Ford Field. Though persons involved were not from rival schools, only East English Village Preparatory Academy HS.

Noel Night shooting stemmed from fight at high school football game

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...-football-game

Detroit police arrest teen in Noel Night shooting, mull curfew for event

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...rfew-for-event
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-05-17 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Me either. I've lived here for almost 20 years and can count on a few hands the people I've known who were maimed or killed by gun violence.
    Really? You personally know 40 or 50 people who were shot? Most people around the world don't even know one.

Detroit and Denver are roughly the same size in population. Compare the levels of gun violence where Detroit is a sophisticated mid-western city and Denver is in the wild and woolly west.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Really? You personally know 40 or 50 people who were shot? Most people around the world don't even know one.
    In our family alone, in the last 10 years we've buried 2 who were shot and killed, and have a Nephew, father of 4 who is paralyzed after being shot multiple times in the back after being robbed while coming out of an 8 mile bar. My man's best childhood friend, a beloved father who worked his ass off every day was shot and left to die by State Fair back in the 2000's over a petty dispute. Another Detroit friend and good father was gunned down in his front yard in broad daylight in a drive-by meant for someone else passing by. None of these shooters have been brought to legal justice. I've lost count of the acquaintances and neighbors [[not in Corktown obviously) who have been shot. I wont insult everyone's intelligence by acting like all of these men were just innocent victims on the straight and narrow, some weren't.

It's way worse for my guy, he went to DPS and has lived here his whole life, knows of dozens killed by gunplay, and had family killed before I met him. It's a miracle that he somehow managed to survive all of this, to thrive and become a wonderful man.

Hood living puts you directly into the proximity of folks who live and die by the sword. There is a lot of hood in this town, and Midtown is not protected in some magic bubble, just sayin.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; December-05-17 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Hood living puts you directly into the proximity of folks who live and die by the sword. There is a lot of hood in this town, and Midtown is not protected in some magic bubble, just sayin.
    detroitsgwen, you bring up a delicate point I've been pondering over the past few days. Detroit from the 70s and until the early 2010s became very "hood" if you will. While most big cities in America had diversity of types of neighborhoods, Detroit, essentially lost ground to lawlessness and ghetto-ized itself in large swaths of the city, and the deep racial segregation was always fact.

Now that white/suburban born and bred people are moving in and/or spending more time in the city, many of the "native" residents of the city are still poor and have a mentality vastly different from those new comers. They don't leave how they act at home and change once they cross into midtown/downtown.

So then we get the people who have no idea what to do because they lack either street smarts or common sense because they don't know any better, it gives ammunition to those suburbanites who despise Detroit [[aka black people), and the city looks bad because of it.

We don't know how to "city" because we've never had to live together.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Detroit and Denver are roughly the same size in population. Compare the levels of gun violence where Detroit is a sophisticated mid-western city and Denver is in the wild and woolly west.
    Yes!

Denver Colorado with the booming diversified economy in that "wild and woolly west" where the firearm buyers back round checks have been expanded above and beyond federal standards at the gun buyers expense and magazine capacitiy limitations have been instituted.

It is nice when differing opinions can come to complete agreement on who should be emulated. Obviously we agree that Colorado has many less idiots than Michigan does Hermod.

There is hope for sane reasonable logical thought.

He did not say 40 or 50 people... you did.

Last edited by Zacha341; December-05-17 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    OK, it time for a news reference link or two. Police Chief Craig stops short of a curfew for this event, yet also seems to be considering the option. The article states that the event started from a high school game at Ford Field. Though persons involved were not from rival schools, only East English Village Preparatory Academy HS.

Noel Night shooting stemmed from fight at high school football game

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...-football-game

Detroit police arrest teen in Noel Night shooting, mull curfew for event

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...rfew-for-event

"Detroit police say the shooting happened Saturday around 7:30 p.m.on John R and Farnsworth, which is in front of the Detroit Institute of Arts."

Really? "In front of" the DIA? Another bonehead reporter.

Gwenivere, sorry you've been so touched by the realities of violence...no doubt you have more painful wisdom than many who post here...and I respect the hell out of you.

Meddle,
    "Most people around the world" called...they said they've never seen you outside of midtown.

You're playing around right? I've been around this city all my life and I must know at least ten folks who've been shot, and a couple who were killed. I've also seen strangers get shot at or who have been shot, including one man shot dead right in front of me. And I'm a middle-class white guy. Detroit is hardly most places around the world, and one of the main reasons for that is that we're awash in guns in a way that other major cities around the world [[especially outside of the gun-happy USA) are not.

Of course most of those shootings were back in the 'bad ol' days of the '70s and '80s. Part of what has begun bringing this city back is more events like Noel Night where we can all get together and have a safe fun good time. I've been to most of the Noel Nights over the years [[couldn't go this year because I had to be on the road for my work) and I've never seen even a hint of trouble.

I hope that this remains an isolated incident and that we don't have any more of this type of thing happening at our public events. I'd hate nothing more than a return to those bad ol' days. Nothing will scare people off, and hurt our progress, worse than fears of random and deadly violence.

Yeah, I peeped that error instantly. I know the area well, it was clearly the backside of the DIA, the front side of CCS [[the old building) area, etc. Oh duh!

The front of the DIA faces Woodward - oh double duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "Detroit police say the shooting happened Saturday around 7:30 p.m.on John R and Farnsworth, which is in front of the Detroit Institute of Arts."

Really? "In front of" the DIA? Another bonehead reporter.

He did not say 40 or 50 people... you did.

The quote was 'count on many hands'. I have 10 fingers, so 'many hands' would be possibly 30, 40, 50 ....

Yeah, I peeped that error instantly. I know the area well, it was clearly the backside of the DIA, the front side of CCS [[the old building) area, etc. Oh duh!

The front of the DIA faces Woodward - oh double duh.
    Between the CCS and the Scarab Club, [[closer to the Scarab Club) right where there's that crack in the sidewalk, the one that looks like the Rio Grande.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    You're playing around right?
    Again, I said 'most people worldwide'. I stand by that as most people personally don't know anyone who has been shot [[outside of wartime casualties). I only know of one and it was largely by his own doing ... a deputy who did not wait for backup. And that was many years after I left the city in 98. I never knew one while I was there.

Well ok, does that count webbed fingers........?

The quote was 'count on many hands'. I have 10 fingers, so 'many hands' would be possibly 30, 40, 50 ....

I'll take note not to trip over that the next time I am over there!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Between the CCS and the Scarab Club, [[closer to the Scarab Club) right where there's that crack in the sidewalk, the one that looks like the Rio Grande.

I only know of one and it was largely by his own doing ... a deputy who did not wait for backup. And that was many years after I left the city in 98. I never knew one while I was there.
    So it was actually someone else's doing...

I understand were Nero is coming from... however, I must admit, I have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to Detroit. In this area, there is a disproportionate response to negativity out of a city. All cities have issues, and so does Detroit, what I believe I am trying to convey is that just because stuff like this happens does not mean one has to boycott everything Detroit.

There are large swaths of the suburban population that does not visit Detroit, that is not normal. So while my defense of Detroit may seem irrational, we are talking to irrational anti-Detroit people for the most part... at least it seems that I am.

I am being selfish, I want to have a central city and not the donut metropolis that I grew up in.

I think there are numbers of the suburban gen-pop; ha, a prison term! [[WSU alum amongst em) that do not visit the D, who in fact, have patronized this event for many years...this is a key demographic that may be slow to grasp the "central city" concept, but their future participation remains key.
    NN shooting? Major psychological setback.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2