Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Speaking of sports franchises... What About Arena Football?

I wonder if Little Caesars Arena would ever want to get an Arena Football team or bring back the Detroit Shock of the WNBA. I know the Shock lost money, but I wonder if that could be turned around. I went to some old Detroit Drive games in the 90s. I thought it was fast and fun. And, if I recall correctly, tickets were very affordable. Since both leagues play in the Pistons/Red Wings off-season, it seems to me like they might want to fill those seats with the return of some old Detroit teams.

Does anyone think there would be a fan base for either return? Do you think LCA would benefit by having them, or would it just block out concert dates? Anyone with specific info about the teams & their Detroit departures, please spill what you know.

The leagues themselves are not in a great place. Arena football is down to 7 teams, and the WNBA is heavily subsidized by the NBA. Both struggle to attract fans.

With both the Pistons & Wings struggling to draw and depressed ticket prices, especially for the Pistons, the timing isn't good. There is only so many entertainment dollars to go around and now that both teams are booking events under one umbrella they would be indirectly competing against their other venues in the spring and summer.

Bring back the Detroit [[Ypsi) Wheels.....is the Suds Factory still around?

My understanding is that bringing the WNBA back to Detroit has been discussed amongst the arena's stakeholders.

The Shocks were easily the most successful team in the league from a performance standpoint. But unfortunately, that wasn't enough to withstand the headwinds of Autopocalypse and [[at that time) a poor location.

If the stars all aligned, I'm sure the league would love to come back.

I don't think a WNBA or Arena football franchise is going to LCA. Metro Detroit used to have Cobo Arena, The Palace, and Joe Louis for events. Now its only LCA. There aren't going to be many open dates anyway; its hard to use them on events that aren't well attended. Would anyone watch the WNBA at Calihan Hall or is that a complete non-starter? It would be a much more appropriately sized venue.
    Last edited by schulzte; December-09-17 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schulzte View Post
    I don't think a WNBA or Arena football franchise is going to LCA. Metro Detroit used to have Cobo Arena, The Palace, and Joe Louis for events. Now its only LCA. There aren't going to be many open dates anyway; its hard to use them on events that aren't well attended. Would anyone watch the WNBA at Calihan Hall or is that a complete non-starter? It would be a much more appropriately sized venue.
    I don't think the WNBA is coming back because the league is struggling, they've already failed once in this market and the Pistons aren't drawing but open dates at LCA has nothing to do with it. The WNBA schedule runs May-Sept. when the arena is mostly unused.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I don't think the WNBA is coming back because the league is struggling, they've already failed once in this market and the Pistons aren't drawing but open dates at LCA has nothing to do with it. The WNBA schedule runs May-Sept. when the arena is mostly unused.
    As I stated above, the Shocks failed at a time when the region's economy was in a downward spiral [[no one was spending money to attend games in fear of losing their jobs) and when they were playing way out in the boonies.

Statistically, no team has performed as well as Detroit's franchise. This is definitely something league consider when it comes to franchise relocations and expansions.

With Detroit's economy being healthier today and there now being a centrally-located venue to play in, why shouldn't Detroit be given another chance?

I have nothing against the WNBA, but I think Detroit should focus on MLS as that is the new growth sport in America.

Likewise, not a fan of adding arena football and other minor sports.

There is a limit to the number and amount of sports an area can support.

Go big in soccer.

So because the "Shocks" had a few good seasons almost a decade ago, we're more likely to get a team? Average attendance in the WNBA last year was just over 7,000 and that was considered a "good" year. The WNBA needs to focus on building up the markets of existing teams, not expanding to new markets.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    As I stated above, the Shocks failed at a time when the region's economy was in a downward spiral [[no one was spending money to attend games in fear of losing their jobs) and when they were playing way out in the boonies.

Statistically, no team has performed as well as Detroit's franchise. This is definitely something league consider when it comes to franchise relocations and expansions.

With Detroit's economy being healthier today and there now being a centrally-located venue to play in, why shouldn't Detroit be given another chance?
    The Palace might’ve been a better location financially for the owners. Most people who attended the Shock games had vouchers for free tickets, and money was made on parking and concessions since there’s not much else nearby. A lot of concerts at Pine Knob were the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    So because the "Shocks" had a few good seasons almost a decade ago, we're more likely to get a team? Average attendance in the WNBA last year was just over 7,000 and that was considered a "good" year. The WNBA needs to focus on building up the markets of existing teams, not expanding to new markets.
    That's not what I said.

But I did say if all of the stars were to align, Detroit should be given another shot at the WNBA.

It doesn't have to be a new franchinse, but perhaps a franchise that's relocated from another city [[like how we lost the Shocks before).

The LCA would literally be better off scheduling 15 Kid Rock concerts during the summer than bringing in a WNBA team, new or relocated. And it's the Detroit Shock, not the Shocks lol.

it would be great, but... probably not right now, unless an investor flush with money were to step in for a new WNBA team. Start fresh, don't bring back the shock.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    The LCA would literally be better off scheduling 15 Kid Rock concerts during the summer than bringing in a WNBA team, new or relocated. And it's the Detroit Shock, not the Shocks lol.
    Meh, I'm not really a huge sports fan. So it's an honest mistake [[sort of like people who say "Kmarts").

The only reason I knew about the information I mentioned earlier about the Detroit Shock is because I did some research while pondering the same question the OP had.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-09-17 at 07:13 PM.

I think you're much more likely to see more MMA type events, like the UFC show that sold out LCA last weekend, or even pro wrestling, than you are to see a return of the money-losing WNBA. And arena football is dying, so I doubt you'll see it again locally either. So, what will fill the spring & summer dates at LCA, beyond those few concert tours that can reasonably come close to filling a 20,000+ seat venue, remains very much open to question.

It's all academic now, but I thought that if the new soccer stadium had been built near Greektown, maybe we could attract a new Canadian Football League team. The league has 9 nine teams, and a Detroit franchise could have evened the conferences. CFL plays mostly on Thu, Fri, and Sat, so they wouldn't interfere with the Lions.
    Last edited by masterblaster; December-11-17 at 05:15 AM.