Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Housing commission plans to sell brewster douglass site to Gilbert

Another massive housing development could break ground at BD site per Gilbert's Bedrock. HUD approval still would be needed, but it sounds like the plan the city floated last year will be similar in scope if Gilbert is authorized to purchase the property.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...te-to-gilberts

More great news.

As SammyS and I say land in that area is among the most valuable residential land in Detroit. Needs more and more development to reach critical mass and this is another good step.

Right on Steve

Not subscribed to access the article but I'd assume that with Gilbert's success with City Modern, Bedrock will likely continue with the formula of high end [[$350/sqft +) mixed with 20% affordable [[no choice). Possibly a high rise thrown in if unrestricted. Note that there are height restrictions immediately south of City Modern for new construction.

Keep 'em coming

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Right on Steve

Not subscribed to access the article but I'd assume that with Gilbert's success with City Modern, Bedrock will likely continue with the formula of high end [[$350/sqft +) mixed with 20% affordable [[no choice). Possibly a high rise thrown in if unrestricted. Note that there are height restrictions immediately south of City Modern for new construction.

Keep 'em coming
    Type the title of the article into your browser and search, and you should be able to access the article

BTW, is this project directly EAST of City Modern or closer to Mack?

Is it 75-Service Drive/Alfred/St Antoine/Wilkins?

I assume Brewster Douglass reference covers a fair amount of land back there. Correct?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE re-stitch the urban fabric back to the area.

I'm voting for Brewster Douglass to replace John Conyers.

City Modern Phase 2?

I hope. The area around the 75\375 interchange has low density with many open fields. Now throw in something on the lot in front of Brewery Park, reconfigure the interchange, maybe add a few streets to connect the area, and you’ve got yourself a gentrified Paradise Valley-Lite

Ready, Set, Go!!!

Hope to see some kind of mid/high rise in this area. Building no higher than 4 floors would be a huge waste of the potential here. Plus imagine the views you could get from a 10th floor or higher window here!

You can pay an homage to what was once there with a few 15 story towers. I don't think it needs to be an entire district of taller structures but one or two could be cool and give it a sense of place as opposed to the entire district being similarly designed apartment buildings.

Are we talking this?

Juts for comparison, here's City Modern which I believe is a $100M project

Revive the street grid, connect it with Brush and Eastern Market if possible.

Add some high rises, but not all of it should be high rises, but 2-3 or would be great. Really make it a community too.

^^
    it would be sweet to cover over the I-75 to connect Eastern Market with a greenway. Same flanking Woodward over the Fisher Fwy

All the potential things Gilbert could do there excite me. Bringing more people- in whatever configuration- warms my heart. I would expect the Bedrock crew to go for a wide mix of building types, sizes, prices. But whatever. Its all an improvement.

I assume this doesn't include the Rec Center parcel [[the NE corner not colored in on the view posted above). I remember hearing something about the Vinsetta Garage guy and one of the Crains wanting to convert that building for use as a restaurant [[seems awful big for that) and build housing around it. Is that project still moving forward?

According to the article, it does not include the Rec center parcel or the other parcels that were included in the prior RFP last year. The article states that the street grid would be upgraded and replaced to original. But if DG follows the prior city proposal, I don't think we are going to see towers going there. Most likely will be fairly similar to the City Modern development.

He may do that but didn't the HUD proposal come with certain stipulations that affected the design? Without restrictions things may change.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    You can pay an homage to what was once there with a few 15 story towers. I don't think it needs to be an entire district of taller structures but one or two could be cool and give it a sense of place as opposed to the entire district being similarly designed apartment buildings.
    The city is in the process drafting a form-based code for Brush Park that would basically require future development mimic City Modern. So towers in that neighborhood aren't very likely the Brush/Watson rfp requires developers follow it even if it isn't adopted by council.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5lj7tgbodc...DRAFT.pdf?dl=0

Thanks for the link! Although I would like to see a bit more building diversity in that area it is nice that they are putting some serious thought into the neighborhood and are looking to insure that it is densely populated.

Good to hear. Hope they stick to modern and sleek design over an Orleans Landing type garbage that looked outdated even at the rendering level.

If the DHC is talking about to sell the Brewster-Douglass Housing Projects to Gilbert. They are talking the whole housing projects all the way up to Mack and I-75.

We are looking at the another Gilberttown annexation expansion.

are there tax incentives being sought for this, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    are there tax incentives being sought for this, too?
    I would assume so, yes. But I don't think they would be as inclusive as the ones that were/are being awarded for Gilbert's 4 projects downtown.