Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which is Detroit's most iconic landmark?

The exterior cleaning of the Book Tower in Downtown got me thinking. For me, the Book Tower is the [[architectural) symbol of Detroit, although plenty would argue. Which is it for you?

The Ren Cen

The Fisher Building. Stands out for miles.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The Ren Cen

Screw Coleman's coin rollers. Just plain ugly, just like he was.

Besides, they have the same type of building in other cities. Atlanta and LA as I recall, maybe others, so it hardly says 'Detroit'.

Fox Theater

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Besides, they have the same type of building in other cities. Atlanta and LA as I recall, maybe others, so it hardly says 'Detroit'.
    Mayor Young wasn't yet in office when the four original towers and hotel were started.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    Mayor Young wasn't yet in office when the four original towers and hotel were started.
    For some people, everything is about Young.

As far as the original question, I think that it really depends upon what you mean by iconic. What people always depict as the icon of the city is, in fact, Ren Cen. But it isn't really a good choice, as it is basically an alien presence dropped onto the waterfront for no good reason.

I would say the Fisher Building would be the best choice, an excellent representative of Detroit's era of mass building, and aside from being a great building its isolation really makes it stand out. And I say that as an unabashed Book Tower fan.

Ren Cen. Always has been this 40yo. Surprised the Penobscot hasn’t been mentioned yet. That would trump the others mentioned so far. The blinking red ball....that’s an icon!

Guardian.characters

FWIW............I take the word Iconic to mean "symbol associated with"

In that respect there are only 2 choices.

1) The Ren. Ctr

2) Mich Central Depot

Those are the things that have appeared in countless movies, in disrepair or all their glory.

They are the buildings mostly like to gather a reaction from a non-Detroiter.........when seen........."oooh, that's Detroit".

There are architecture and urban geeks who love and appreciate Book [[myself included), and various other buildings.

But show a typical person in Toronto, New York or L.A. that building......and you might get 'nice building'..........but not that instant association w/Detroit.

Iconic? It’s RenCen unfortunately. Every first time visitor wants to see it and will call it out when they get their first view of it.

My favorite? Penobscot Building wins easy. Still would love to see her get the bath she so badly needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

To correct you, the Ren Cen was actually Henry Ford II's "coin rollers."

BTW, say what you will about the way Coleman ran the city and his personality, but ugly he wasn't. In fact, he was quite attractive in his day.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...re-id486826475
    Last edited by 313WX; November-23-17 at 01:00 AM.

The big tire on I-94 on the way in from the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Surprised the Penobscot hasn’t been mentioned yet.

The blinking red ball....that’s an icon!
    That, and the MichCon building with the top floor lit stood out for downtown.

I might have said Tiger Stadium until 1999. If you don't think a ballpark could be a city's most iconic landmark what would you pick for Boston?

Definitely Michigan Central. It's not my favorite building but it seems like anyone who has ever heard about Detroit has seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The big tire on I-94 on the way in from the airport.
    I was going to say that! I also like the big stove on the east side and the old city hall.

Name:  ec43118b8205796821d387a2c7e9217e.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  40.8 KB

Name:  190ee15f3179f6174371f8981583de6c--abandoned-detroit-environmental-art.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  33.4 KB
    Last edited by Hermod; November-23-17 at 09:24 AM.

Locally/in the region, the Spirit of Detroit statue.

Nationally/internationally, the RenCen

Spirit of Detroit statue??

Default The Zoo bears

The bear fountain at the Zoo, the most photographed object of all, period. Name:  DSCN0818.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  113.8 KB Name:  DSCN0818-2.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  124.1 KB

I agree, I think the Spirit of Detroit. It's right by Hart Plaza and so a lot of visitors see it, putting sports jerseys on it is popular, it's included on a lot of letterheads, and it's often included in videos about Detroit.

I'd also say that the Ren Cen is iconic, because it has an iconic form, a prominent location, a prominent owner, and because it was pushed as a symbol of Detroit's... renaissance for a few decades. A lot of logos etc feature the Ren Cen.

Dodge Fountain is pretty iconic. A lot of people have seen it or interacted with it, it's commonly shown in videos, and it has an iconic form. I've also seen it on letterheads before. I'd rate it as being less iconic than the Spirit of Detroit though. I think the Joe Louis Fist is in the same category.

imo the *idea* of MCS is iconic but if you asked random people to draw it, I think most people don't really know what it looks like.

I think the Fisher Building, Guardian, Penobscot, and other buildings are popular, but I think to the average person they're "another old building but this one is bigger and fancier and I know its name".

I've been away for 40 years, and when I think of Detroit buildings, the first one I think of is the Fisher Building.

Funny though, but when I think of The Penobscot Building, I think less of the building itself, and more about the faild attempt to rename it The City National Bank Bldg. in the mid '60's. Memories can be funny things sometimes.....

Iconic means different things for a visitor compared to a local, obviously.

MCS is one of my faves, but it's kind of tucked away rather than positioned prominently.

RenCen - without it the Detroit skyline wouldn't be unmistakable as it is now.

MSC - probably a more recent icon, but has to be nearly equal to RenCen. there is nothing more "Detroit" than a massive abandoned train station. I wonder if this iconic status will continue once it's restored?

Oddly enough, nobody has mentioned Matty's Other Folly, the one with the big red letters that millions of people actually use every year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast