Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

https://detroit.eater.com/2018/1/21/...-shawn-mcclain

Riverfront Holdings, Inc. is partnering with McClain’s restaurant group McClain Camarota Hospitality in the project. Greg Keffer of architecture and design firm Rockwell Group has been tapped to develop the project. The restaurant is expected to feature “multiple concepts,” Claudia Killeen, GM manager of Renaissance Center Development says in the release.
    McClain tells Crain’s that the unnamed-restaurant project is on track to begin a buildout in March. Diners can expect a “much larger” bar than Coach Insignia offered with plenty of events space.

Good to see something filling this space. I was starting to get worried it would just sit vacant.

Also good to have another recognized and distinguished chef in town too. Hope it works out.

Walked through the Ren Cen today. There were construction signs naming several contractors and temporary drywall around the exterior elevators to the top, so work appears to be starting.

Restaurant atop RenCen still a go

The new restaurant being built out on the 71st and 72nd floor of the Renaissance Center is expected to open at the end of 2019 — more than a year later than originally planned.

This is my favorite part:

"The team from McClain Camarota Hospitality is partnered with us to launch a dynamic, multi-concept dining and social hub atop the city that celebrates Detroit's bold legacy and boundless future."

The bar that was up there before was very warm and inviting. However the restaurant was stuffy and not at all what works in Detroit dining these days. Hopefully the new concept will reflect that approachable sophistication that Detroit is now well known for.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    This is my favorite part:

"The team from McClain Camarota Hospitality is partnered with us to launch a dynamic, multi-concept dining and social hub atop the city that celebrates Detroit's bold legacy and boundless future."

The bar that was up there before was very warm and inviting. However the restaurant was stuffy and not at all what works in Detroit dining these days. Hopefully the new concept will reflect that approachable sophistication that Detroit is now well known for.
    Agree. I enjoyed going up to the bar area at the end of their run. Fair priced drinks and could enjoy the view. The restaurant was always just ok. Sometimes fancy food can be good but I'm not into small portions for $30+ plus being al a carte.
    Hope they finish soon. Ren Cen has always been a fun place to explore.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...-top-of-rencen

Good luck to the new restaurant/bar owners!!

I wish the new operator all the best. The view up there is fantastic - day or night. The problems we had when I was a manager up there in '79/'80 was the almost complete lack of food storage space, and food preparation space on that level. We were very dependent on storage and advanced prep taking place 70+ stories below in the main kitchen - with only two high rise service elevators. Moving guests up there from the lobby was another bottleneck. The back areas of the hotel are vast, maze-like and poorly designed. This was a very challenging hotel from a management and logistical standpoint.

Highlands Detroit opening in November

https://www.highlandsdetroit.com/

The new restaurant space planned for the top of the Renaissance Center will feature four food, drink and event components when it opens mid-November.
    The four concepts are:
    • Highlands Steakhouse: A steakhouse with an "epic collection" of wine and "backdrop of blazing stoves." The sommelier is Nick Hetzel.
    • Hearth 71: A "funky, casual" restaurant with locally sourced dishes and local microbrews
    • High Bar: A bar and lounge with cocktails from mixologist Tony Abou-Ganim
    • Highland Events: A private event space filled with "highly-curated" events
    Last edited by hybridy; August-23-19 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Being a road warrior for 25 years, I had a very basic principle: Never eat in the hotel restaurant!
    Or an empty one.

If you were a "road warrior" you probably stayed at a lot of lower scale hotels to save budget money. You are so wrong in that MANY upscale restaurants are now in hotels. Just don't stay at Red Roof or an extended stay. Take a look at the Book Cadillac and Roast.

Glad to see they aren't sticking with the stuffy while table cloth experience of yesterday. The swankiness portrayed by the venue as well as the stated dress code and 70 story elevator ride I think scared off a lot of potential patrons for Coach, it doesn't sound like this place will have that problem.

Speaking of top floor restaurants, does anyone know what is currently in the old Top of the Flame space? I assume Bedrock just converted it to office space but thought someone might know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Speaking of top floor restaurants, does anyone know what is currently in the old Top of the Flame space? I assume Bedrock just converted it to office space but thought someone might know for sure.
    From Lowell in 2006:

“I just spoke with my sister-in-law who worked there for a number of years. Her office was in the former Flame space and she had a dramatic up-straits view of Belle Isle, Ren Cen and more.

Her recollection of the Flame's closing was 'around 1979' afterwhich it was converted to office.

Her connections got us on the roof for fireworks. That was a most dramatic vista with the firework bursting at eye level and roar of the swirling throngs in Hart Plaza rising. The gas company put on a pre-fireworks shows for the kids. I remember a magician who was an amazing pickpocket and who required that I turn off my video camera before doing his act.”

Anyone know how Granite City is doing? The patio always looks empty, although the corner of the tunnel entrance at Jefferson is just a place to suck exhaust fumes.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    ...and 70 story elevator ride I think scared off a lot of potential patrons for Coach...
    Actually the 70 story elevator ride along the side of the building was a draw to getting people up to the top. If you're scared of heights, you won't want to be 73 stories up looking "down" on the rest of the city.

When it used to be the Summit Restaurant, there were many people always lined up at the base of the elevator to go to the top to just get a view or have a drink.

My niece hated the open glass elevator, so she just stared towards the doorway going up...so as not to see the dizzying heights.

The elevator ride is kinda unique in that you are riding up the the elevator with 2 of the 4 39 story towers in your peripheral view. As soon as you hit the top of those buildings, you get a feeling that you have broken thru the top of the central tower and are just heading skyward. It's an experience that few single tower buildings can offer.
    Last edited by Gistok; August-30-19 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Actually the 70 story elevator ride along the side of the building was a draw to getting people up to the top. If you're scared of heights, you won't want to be 73 stories up looking "down" on the rest of the city.

When it used to be the Summit Restaurant, where were many people always lined up at the base of the elevator to go to the top to just get a view or have a drink.

My niece hated the open glass elevator, so she just stared towards the doorway going up...so as not to see the dizzying heights.

The elevator ride is kinda unique in that you are riding up the the elevator with 2 of the 4 39 story towers in your peripheral view. As soon as you hit the top of those buildings, you get a feeling that you have broken thru the top of the central tower and are just headins skyward. It's an experience that few single tower buildings can offer.
    Plus you got to keep your glass when you bought a drink. I still have a couple with "world's tallest hotel" on the side.

I'd grab a pepsi up there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2