Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Washington isn't a swamp, it's a cesspool.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Washington isn't a swamp, it's a cesspool.
    Ryan calls the House, the People's House. I call it "the house of il-repute."

Many reputations there are definitely, ill.

I'm not buying the accusations against Conyers.

Despite his paper marriage of convenience to nut-ball,.. it's been a somewhat open secret for decades that he is a closeted gay.

I doubt he'd be harassing woman in a sexual manner.
    Last edited by Bigdd; November-25-17 at 07:41 AM.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Agreed. A lecherous jerk is a lecherous jerk. And if there actually is a payout to a victim or victims [[I wish Congress was subject to the Freedom of Information Act!), then it would be confirmed. I know some people dont think this yet, but I do believe his career is now over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    I'm not buying the accusations against Conyers.

Despite his paper marriage of convenience to nut-ball,.. it's been a somewhat open secret for decades that he is a closeted gay.

I doubt he'd be harassing woman in a sexual manner.
    That's one good reason.

The other good reason is that its unproven. Blindly believing accusations is a fast road to hell. Sure, some really bad people get what they deserve -- but some really good people will get accused for political gain.

I know its not in vogue to accuse the 'victims', but its important to remember that victimhood can be a draw for some.

Its dangerous territory. Be careful everyone.

Let's make sure the whataboutism isn't also used by dems.

Yep, especially as the gallows seems to be have very ample bi-partisan space remaining.

Sorta useless to celebrate this-or-that person getting his just due, as the next day it's your guy!

When they finally circle about Trump, he'll not be able to call it a repub-only witch hunt.

Oh, Bill Clinton must be saying 'Whew... I think I'm off the hook......'

He was the first time around after all.

They're not digging up graves yet or Ted Kennedy might be in trouble, a tad~ others as well..............

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    ...Be careful everyone.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-26-17 at 01:36 PM.

I don't think Conyers is done. The same folk who defended Bill Clinton and KK will be at the voting precincts to vote him back in. Though always expect the unexpected. He may step down on his own!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Agreed. A lecherous jerk is a lecherous jerk. And if there actually is a payout to a victim or victims [[I wish Congress was subject to the Freedom of Information Act!), then it would be confirmed. I know some people dont think this yet, but I do believe his career is now over.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I don't think Conyers is done. The same folk who defended Bill Clinton and KK will be at the voting precincts to vote him back in. Though always expect the unexpected. He may step down on his own!
    An
    And that's as it should be.

Too often, these indiscretions are being judged in the media by today's standards.

Should we judge Truman solely by his use of nuclear weapons?

Should we judge Planned Parenthood solely by their founder's beliefs in sterilizing the poor?

Should we judge Jefferson solely by slave owning?

Litmus tests that turn the paper red or blue aren't helpful.

I'd rather the voters decide, unless we're talking clear criminal activity.

So Convers or Franken or Moore were/are perverts. The ballot box is a better way to decide who should represent us that the media or the courts [[again, clear criminal exception)

He may well just step down.

I always figured he had to stay in Congress at all costs,.. because otherwise he had no excuse to stay 550 miles away from nut-ball. But now that he's divorced,.. he can probably just relax on a beach somewhere.
    Last edited by Bigdd; November-26-17 at 11:42 AM.

Interesting points. I do judge those who are continue to do what they set out to do, but let us not digress.

Yes, for certain the court of opinion can be very scary. We've seen the outworking of this in history. Let us just hope those who vote are THINKING.

Clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    ....Too often, these indiscretions are being judged in the media by today's standards.

Should we judge Truman solely by his use of nuclear weapons?

Should we judge Planned Parenthood solely by their founder's beliefs in sterilizing the poor?

Should we judge Jefferson solely by slave owning?

Litmus tests that turn the paper red or blue aren't helpful.

I'd rather the voters decide, unless we're talking clear criminal activity. ......

News: John Conyers announces that he will step down as ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/26/politi...ary/index.html

http://www.freep.com/story/news/poli...own/895841001/

The freep article has an interesting comment that Nancy Pelosi needs to step down as well -- considering her support of Clinton and Conyers re. similar issues.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-26-17 at 04:20 PM.

No surprise to me. I basically thought the Dems would throw him under the bus. [[Dems are more than happy to have Nadler as ranking member of the Judiciary Committee).

That said, sexual harassment comes in many flavors and degrees of severity.

The penalty should reflect that. There are many forms of penalty.

What Moore is accused is off the charts.
    Last edited by emu steve; November-26-17 at 02:24 PM.

Moore and Franken are louses, but they aren't from here. Conyers is my Congressman. If he isn't guilty [[and didn't use any taxpayer money to cover his ass), he should stay on, vigorously defend his reputation, and work hard for the taxpayers. If he is, he shouldn't just resign from committee leadership, he should be prosecuted [[if applicable), thrown out on his ass, forced to pay back the money and humiliated. Or at least have the decency to resign and go away, never to be heard of again.

And the Pelosi line "He is an icon who supports women" is absurd and irrelevant. If you vote for programs to benefit kids, but beat the ones you come into contact with, you cannot be accurately referred to as a defender of children. If John Conyers did and said inappropriate things, he should suffer appropriate consequences, like everyone else. Voting record or inferred longevity-derived "icon" status is not relevant, and citing it only hurts her own argument. But then again, as a conservative, I do hope that Democrats maintain Pelosi as their leader for eternity.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; November-26-17 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    No surprise to me. I basically thought the Dems would throw him under the bus. [[Dems are more than happy to have Nadler as ranking member of the Judiciary Committee).

That said, sexual harassment comes in many flavors and degrees of severity.

The penalty should reflect that. There are many forms of penalty.

What Moore is accused is off the charts.
    The problem with your statement is that someone has to decide on the penalty. If you were dictator, I trust you'd be just. But you're not, and we have a system that hasn't yet even figured out how to determine who is guilty, and who is not.

Franken and Rose were judged very quickly by the media. I suspect the actual truth isn't as clear as the public execution by media.

We are heading towards mob rule. That's a really bad thing.

We've had 30-40 years since the sexual revolution started, and a good 10-20 years since nearly every major company in this country has had mandatory sexual harassment training and required reporting procedures. Apparently this didn't work 100%. Neither has the court system. Victims don't seem to believe they can get justice. c.f. BLM

There was a popular bumper sticker years ago.... if desire peace, seek justice.

Its clear that our justice system hasn't delivered for women [[and blacks and name-your-victim). How do we fix this? How does Detroit respond. We have a Human Right Department that spends its day doing something, but apparently not dealing with women being groped by ex-mayors.

Do we need a local 'small harassment claims' court, that has lower standards and allows individuals to get results? How do we do this without turning it into a vehicle for tossing mud at one's political and social opponents?

I don't know, but does anyone here think the justice system is helping Duke's alleged rape victims, Charlie Rose's alleged flash victims, or Franken's alleged gropees?

Aside from the harassment allegations, the dude is 88 freaking years old. Retire, for god's sake.

Two points about Conyers:

1). I was watching Andrea Mitchell and a guest said really seemed to question his competence. The 'he has his good days and he has his...'.
    The word was that his staff runs his office. As folks may know many MoC have served even though their mental facilities were very compromised.

2). The problem with Congress is simple. I posted that Catholic bishops are literally kings of their diocese but there is oversight by the Vatican. Catholics may be familiar with visits every 5 years to Rome, etc.

The problem with Congress is worse. There is no Vatican or Pope, to exercise oversight. Each MoC is essentially a king or queen, be they be just or unjust, honest or dishonest. It is close to an honor system.

Congress needs their own IG [[Inspector General) to audit books, etc.

All of this said and not done, I suspect Conyers doesn't run for re-election in 2018.

J'accuse - J'accuse!

That is all that is needed!

If I ran a news outlet, before I'd run a story accusing anyone of misconduct I'd require the accuser submit to a polygraph. Also, before I ran a response from an accused, I'd require a polygraph, or disclose that he or she had refused one.

I know that polygraphs are determined by courts to be unreliable and the results inadmissible. However, police departments use them frequently on suspects who agree to submit to them, primarily to eliminate them as suspects. Government agencies use them all the time [[CIA, FBI etc) on their own employees.

It's disturbing to me that none of the accusers ever have volunteered to take them or the accused to volunteer to use them as a defense.

I am appalled at that idiot McConnell claiming he believes Judge Moore's accusers when he has absolutely no basis other than their words to support his belief. As if he's so smart nobody can fool him.

Don't believe anyone about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    Don't believe anyone about anything.
    So said the NAZI SS officers about what happened to all the Jewish people, how things where going on the Russian Front, and about Hitler being being insane...

AbetterDetroit: I presume you don't think buyers should beware.

I have some great land to sell you in FL. I promise you it's all above water. Trust me.

I'll bet you voted for Hilary and that she never had any classified material on her private server. [[LOL)

Your choices to replace: Joel Loving, Monica Conyers, Christine Beatty, Ann Ivory Calvert, Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick. However word has it a former shot boy from Menjoes is the favorite....

It's going to be Ian Conyers vs Hansen Clarke vs Robert Davis vs Rev. Fill-in-the-blank

Robert Davis vs. Rev. Fill-in-the-blank? Now that was just wrong!! ----

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast