Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit: The Most Exciting City in America?

So asks the New York Times' latest Detroit-gasm in a lengthy review posted in today's Travel Section written by Reif Larsen and based off his visit this past summer.

While the article starts of disappointingly with the usual Detroit recovery tropes--urban gardens, Phil Cooley, Slow Roll and Gilbertville renewal, etc. it gains depth as it goes along and becomes a good read. One gets the feeling that the author grows in understanding over time branching into the issues of mobility, or lack thereof, and neighborhood challenges that remain.

At the bottom of the article are links to more recent NYT Detroit coverage, similarly favorable and interesting. It's nice to be liked!

What to Read Before Heading to Detroit NOV. 20, 2017

Detroit: From Motor City to Housing Incubator NOV. 4, 2017

NONFICTION
    In Praise of the Black Men and Women Who Built Detroit SEPT. 6, 2017

Finding $816 Million, and Fast, to Save Detroit NOV. 7, 2014

This is very satisfying. When I lived in NY and would mention that I thought Detroit had a bright future and that I intended to move back, I would get responses of shock and bewilderment. Even before the "revival" began, though, when I brought friends to visit Detroit, they would undoubtedly change their mind. The combination of history, creativity, cool if often dilapidated structures, and midwestern friendliness would get to them. The last point should not be underestimated. When I brought my friend Joanna- a lifelong New Yorker- to visit, she kept asking me if I knew the people that exchange a "hello" or "how are you?" with me on the street. She just couldn't believe that you would have a friendly, spontaneous interaction with people you don't know.

Mikey, good points.

One of the nice things about the Midwest [[not the cold weather) but the warmth of its people.

Natives of Detroit [[and the Midwest) can tell the difference in the temperatures [[warmth) of Midwest people compared to those in NYC, D.C., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    This is very satisfying. When I lived in NY and would mention that I thought Detroit had a bright future and that I intended to move back, I would get responses of shock and bewilderment. Even before the "revival" began, though, when I brought friends to visit Detroit, they would undoubtedly change their mind. The combination of history, creativity, cool if often dilapidated structures, and midwestern friendliness would get to them. The last point should not be underestimated. When I brought my friend Joanna- a lifelong New Yorker- to visit, she kept asking me if I knew the people that exchange a "hello" or "how are you?" with me on the street. She just couldn't believe that you would have a friendly, spontaneous interaction with people you don't know.
    I had the same experiences. But almost overnight Detroit became the "it" place. It is not as hard of a conversation to have as it used to be. I have native NYer friends who now visit Detroit at least once a year.

Detroit need to still remain a working person's town with a thriving downtown. Neighborhoods are what made Detroit a great sought after place 50 or so years ago. I dont agree with councilwoman Sheffield philosophy of forcing section 8 into condos and apartment buildings where tenants are paying more than $900 a month in rent or note. I do think that the poorer low income neighborhood should be taken care of for the lower income people. Detroit could still be a white collar-blue collar town having neighborhoods that has a mixture or techies, mechanics, artists, etc. These neighborhoods as well as the poorer neighborhoods should have strict ordinances for the communities to make sure that the communities don't deteriorate such as they had done years ago. Boston/Edison, Indian Village, Sherwood Forest/Palmer Woods/Green Acres, Rosedale Park should have the business/retail district for the area and stay away from having section 8 in those areas. Those areas should have the more mid end to high end retail in their business districts. I think that Detroit should not try to be a metropolis such as Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Atlanta, and Dallas. I think that Detroit such be a city of it's own. A few experts also had said this including the late Tony Goldman, I think that was his name, a few years back. I would live in a working to almost low income myself not because I cant afford the higher end areas but to live within my means and try to help build up those communities.

I never thought that I would see a lead essay in the NY Times Sunday travel section with the title Detroit: The most exciting city in America? Does that mean Detroit ranks with Montreal, San Fran and New York? It was interesting to see citations of interesting places other than downtown or Midtown.
    The author mentioned the High Line. More than two years ago the architects who designed the renovation of the High Line were asked to come up with plans for Historic Fort Wayne. What became of that endeavor?

I thought the title worked well

Detroit is growing from its core at a accelerating rate almost directly from ruins. I have seen other US cities grow before, many faster but almost always from a lot of new construction. What is going on here is fairly unprecedented particularly by the predictions of just a few years ago that it was dead and never coming back.

Detroits revival and the way it is reclaiming it’s own vacancy is exciting to watch. If it keeps it up there are going to plenty of new business opportunities that had disappeared that will be needed again and new ideas, existing technologies, business and personal services will be in high demand.

Exciting stuff to witness if you want Detroit to succeed.