Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Beatification of Solanus Casey to Pack Ford Field Today

This is one of these kind-of-a-big-deal Detroit stories that does make that big of deal media waves, but Father Solanus Casey whose career centered with the Capuchins here in Detroit will become only the the third American to be sainted. A huge event really.

The ceremony takes place at Ford Field today in what is expected to be a packed house of 70,000 local, national and international attendees. Eucharist [communion] will be served, a daunting logistical feat, in and of itself.
    The Capuchin will be the third American-born person to be beatified in the U.S. He’ll become one of three Americans who currently hold the title of Blessed, one step away from being named a Catholic saint.

By a decree of Pope Francis, Casey will be honored because Catholic officials say a Panamanian woman’s prayer at Casey’s tomb in Detroit was answered by a miracle: her skin disease healed through his intercession.

Nearly 70,000 people — from parishes across metro Detroit as well as Ireland, Italy, Guam and Panama — are expected to pack Ford Field for the beatification ceremony. About 500 priests will be in attendance, including 235 brown-robed Capuchin friars and four red-robed Catholic cardinals.
    And then Lions take the place back on Thursday, reminding me of one of my favorite one liners, "And the score at halftime is the lions 27, the Christians nothing.

I have my tickets. Looking forward to a once in a lifetime experience. Missed the Pope when he was here in the 80's so figured I had to attend this one.

My father attended the Papal mass in the 80's as an RCIA candidate. He mentioned to me that the communion procession was so well orchestrated that the 90,000 people were served in less than 30 minutes. Amazing!

There was a great article in one of the locals about the history of the altar being used today. It's the same one from the JP2 mass and was stored at Dominos Farm for years.

Really wish I could be there. A great man. Truly a saint. And the Capuchins are the only charity I support. They've done more for Detroit than your tax dollars ever will.

Lowell this is so bittersweet... back a few years ago when my mother was 85, I took her and her best friend to visit the center on Mt. Eliott... We were all Lutherans, but that didn't stop us... mom was fighting colon cancer for a few years... and we prayed at Fr. Casey's tomb. Mom made it all the way until 88, without pain.

Visiting the Bonaveture Monastery and Father Solanus Casey Center is a wonderful experience... it was such a beautiful and tranquil site.

When they built the center, back when he was first declared Venerable, they made it large enough to handle the large crowds that will be coming in the future, especially once Sainthood is achieve.

Father Casey was such a humble and simple man. He passed away in July 1957... at St. John Hospital. At the hospital I stumbled upon the plaque outside of room 315 where he passed away.

That stretch of Mt. Eliott will become a major pilgrimage site once Sainthood is achieved. It seems hard to believe that this quiet stretch of the city could become a major attraction... but that will be the case.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3519...7i13312!8i6656

I watched at home, and sent away for one of the 3rd class relics that the Solanus Casey center gives out, for free. Donations accepted of course. But, happy to do that since all the money collected goes into the good works they do there.

Absolutely incredible experience to have a packed Ford Field celebrating a life well lived. I don't use these terms all that often but the entire Mass and ceremony was moving. Father Solanus Casey was an iconic Detroiter who is still working for the city and on its best behalf well after his death. This will undoubtedly serve to be another reason for many to visit Detroit who otherwise may never have occasion to. Proud to have him and his legacy as a major part of our city!

I bet that most Forumers don't even know the impact of what the sainthood of Father Solanus would have on Detroit. There would be tens of thousands of Pilgrims taking bus tours [[or cars) from all over the country [[and world) to the shrine of Fr. Solanus.

They would likely have to further expand the monastery... and possibly even add a hotel to the complex. For those of you who have never been there... it is worth a visit, even for non believers [[heck I'm Lutheran... and I've been twice). A very tranquil place with great architecture... I can see this being a bustling area of the lower east side once sainthood is bestowed.

Fr. Solanus would be our first native born American male saint.
    Last edited by Gistok; November-25-17 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I bet that most Forumers don't even know the impact of what the sainthood of Father Solanus would have on Detroit.
    Fr. Solanus would be our first native born American male saint.
    Father Casey [[as my mom's family called him) was quite the presence at St. Bonaventure's on the east side in the 1940s to 1950s when my mother and her cousins lived in the neighborhood. Although they were parishioners of Our Lady of Sorrows, and often went to San Francesco [[i.e. "The Mother Church" of east side Italians) on Holy Days and big events, it was tradition for their crowd to St. Bonaventure's on New Years Day for Mass. That's a holy day of obligation for Catholics; dad would say better to go feeing good, than going to sleep for a couple of hours and going to church feeling lousy, i.e. hungover. [[Heh, heh, Daddy! )

Yes, they would party all New Year's Eve and go, still tipsy I'm sure, to Mass. Father Casey would hold the door open for them and graciously greet all the pious partiers! When he was declared venerable in 1995, my mother and grandmother were both alive and we had a nice talk about Father Casey. He was always there to hear your troubles, my mom said. And to think he is now one step away from sainthood, and my people knew him!

I was an infant when he died, though there's some dispute among relatives as to whether it was he who gave me a blessing or if it was the priest at Our Lady of Sorrows. [[I was baptized at San Francesco.)

The assistant priest in my childhood parish was made an archbishop many years ago, but this is really the ultimate. The Irish branch of my family is going positively bananas, as you can imagine! LOL