Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fine Arts Facade

This, I like. Obviously a long ass way to go to something actually being done with it, but it's a start.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-arts-building

Headline starts "Ilitches seek developer..."

Umm, you destroyed the theater, how about you develop it?

Lowell, keep in perspective that the Adams Theatre had been remodeled out of its historic character over five decades ago. And it was a cobbled together design with tunnel and bridges connecting the two buildings together. The original design would not pass ADA requirements [[unless those get rolled back---nothing would surprise me). A new building/development covering the Adams Street frontage and the old auditorium site will make the most effective use of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Headline starts "Ilitches seek developer..."

Umm, you destroyed the theater, how about you develop it?
    They've made it clear between this and the properties they announced months ago that they have zero interest in developing anything that isn't taxpayer funded and sports related. They're happy slapping their names on a press release and letting others do the heavy lifting.

While it is a bit obnoxious after these many decades of wasted time to see the Illitches now sitting as mere middleman/slumlords who are going to be flipping their properties to other developers rather than following through themselves, I guess that's for the best. The "other developers" part is key. Because other developers might actually do something good and productive. I hope the Illitches sell many more of their properties to real developers-- the sooner the better.

It begs the question if the site includes the site of the former Hurley Hospital... the rather more narrow strip between the Fine Arts facade and the Kales Building. The Hurley site has been a parking lot for over 60 years...the 7 story hospital building was torn down around the 1940s-1950s.
    Last edited by Gistok; November-17-17 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It begs the question if the site includes the site of the former Hurley Hospital... the rather more narrow strip between the Fine Arts facade and the Kales Building. The Hurley site has been a parking lot for over 60 years...the 7 story hospital building was torn down around the 1940s-1950s.
    Gistok, the building was built for Dr. Ernest Shurly. The building was originally 4 stories, with a 3 story extension added sometime before 1930.
    Designed by Rogers & MacFarlane for Dr. Ernest L. Shurly. Office building/Hospital 60 West Adams built 1893-1894 Grand Circus Park, Detroit, MI. Includes an article featuring the building from an 1893 edition of the Detroit Free Press.

Demolished: Date unknown to me
    Extensive alterations and an addition.
    Image from Wayne State University's Motor City Collection, circa 1930.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Lowell, keep in perspective that the Adams Theatre had been remodeled out of its historic character over five decades ago. And it was a cobbled together design with tunnel and bridges connecting the two buildings together. The original design would not pass ADA requirements [[unless those get rolled back---nothing would surprise me). A new building/development covering the Adams Street frontage and the old auditorium site will make the most effective use of the site.
    The building itself could've been mothballed instead of demolished though.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Gistok, the building was built for Dr. Ernest Shurly. The building was originally 4 stories, with a 3 story extension added sometime before 1930.
    Designed by Rogers & MacFarlane for Dr. Ernest L. Shurly. Office building/Hospital 60 West Adams built 1893-1894 Grand Circus Park, Detroit, MI. Includes an article featuring the building from an 1893 edition of the Detroit Free Press.

Demolished: Date unknown to me
    Extensive alterations and an addition.
    Image from Wayne State University's Motor City Collection, circa 1930.
    Thanks p69rrh51... Nice closeup images. When I first saw the property on a Sanford map... it did indeed list it as SHURLY HOSPITAL. None of my Google searches came across a hospital of that name, but did mention Hurley Hosplital, and I had always thought it was a Detroit location for that hospital. Guess I was wrong in the name.... But it's a pity it was razed.. it was a beautiful building that filled in the north wall of west GCP.

From what I remember, the FAB was constructed by a wood post and beam method, which would be a challenge to bring up to standard for a building that tall. Here's an old Sanborn map from a distant past thread that I did showing the Adams Theatre and Shurley Hosp.

Name:  AdamsTheat.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  48.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    From what I remember, the FAB was constructed by a wood post and beam method, which would be a challenge to bring up to standard for a building that tall.
    Name:  AdamsTheat.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  48.0 KB
    Your memory is correct. The facade was the only significant portion and it was saved and will be part of the new development. But of course, since the Illitches/Olympia are involved none of that matters on this blog.

Now maybe the following tidbit is well known by the assembly that gathers to these pages, but it is news to me.

Dr. Burt Shurley moved into the newly constructed Francis Palms apartments in 1896 and happened to spy an attractive young lass who lived a few doors away on Jefferson Ave.: Viola Palms, daughter of Frederick Francis Palms and granddaughter to The Wealthiest Man In Michigan, Francis Palms.

She, the dear sweet Viola, was of course cousins with the Book family.

Dr. Shurley, was a smart man in many respects.