Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Help locating birth mother

Born Larry Thomas Caperton 1-18-1957
    at Florence Crittendon Hospital in Detroit
    Any information on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Larry - Good luck. I mean that in the best possible way. I would suggest paying for Ancestry. Also, contact the Michigan Department of Social Services in Lansing and see what they have - or it may be in Wayne County Courts. It took me forever and I had my birth certificate. Ancestry is a good start though to see if you match DNA with anyone else. And the fact that the internet is here is a better helper than phone calls and microfiche and writing letters to people - although I have had LUCK doing that too. But Ancestry is your best helper, in my humble opinion of looking for someone for over 30 years. It worked for me. I should also add it isn't just the DNA part of Ancestry - it is the Census Reports and all the City Directories and the family trees that are already created that you might have some link to. I should also add that very few people want to help you in general, but if you get into Ancestry, the genealogist types will help you and they are good at it. I don't mean paying more for the Ancestry, I mean "talking" to others on Ancestry.

I'd echo the DNA test as a possible first step with Ancestry, as they have the largest database available to match to. You can then download raw DNA files to compare and upload to FTDNA and MyHeritage, as well as Gedmatch. From there you can possibly piece together who is related to you on either side of the DNA results [[Mother and Father) you get. The name you mentioned is your birth name? There's loads of Capertons in the 1940 census, but finding a birth mother is kind of tough. Public records in Ancestry list a couple candidates in terms of a mother named Caperton, but can't really pin it down that way.
    Last edited by townonenorth; November-18-17 at 09:24 PM.