Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Detroit-Windsor Art Scene

The Detroit-Windsor Art Scene is an exciting archipelago of creative islands that can be difficult to navigate. Over the decades and throughout the valley years of Detroit, it has survived and thrived in sketchy settings and classy galleries alike.

Name:  DetroitArtScene.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  56.6 KB

Today the Detroit art scene is somewhat of an international darling enjoying media attention and becoming attractive to outside artists arriving to become a part of our creative energy.

But where is it?

I am pleased to present THE DETROIT ART SCENE, a spreadsheet view of over 100 sites with links to their Facebook pages, Google Street views, addresses and more.

Enjoy:
    http://www.atdetroit.net/Detroit-Art-Scene.htm

WOW.... didn't know there were so many Lowell.... I guess I'll have to stop buying my objet d'art at gas stations then.....

I love how you have the areas named.... sounds like London Underground subway stops... NoHam... DownRiviera... Westburb.

I love the way you included "Did we miss something?" and Streetview links.

Very thoughtful.

Not sure there is much left to celebrate. Art in a gallery is like animals in a zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Not sure there is much left to celebrate. Art in a gallery is like animals in a zoo.
    I don't completely disagree with you, but even a farmer has to sell a pig now and then to keep farming.

Thanks for posting this list Lowell. Great reference for grand times onward!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I don't completely disagree with you, but even a farmer has to sell a pig now and then to keep farming.
    Coincidentally, just this morning I heard on the radio that Vincent van Gogh sold only one painting during his entire life. That's just dumbfounding. If only he had known what the value of his work would become!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Coincidentally, just this morning I heard on the radio that Vincent van Gogh sold only one painting during his entire life. That's just dumbfounding. If only he had known what the value of his work would become!
    If he had heard on the radio what you just said, he would have probably cut his other ear off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Look at Monet that are bringing 80 million plus.

With the recent court cases of wartime stolen art being returned to the original owners and the buyers left holding the bag,it seems as though high end art has become a risky venture.

Updates today include Windsor venues and a few new Detroit additions.

Enjoy:
    http://www.atdetroit.net/Detroit-Art-Scene.htm

A Leonardo da Vinci painting just sold yesterday [[Christie’s) for $450+ million.

On a per square inch basis that’s pretty expensive real estate.

thank you, Lowell, for gathering this information. I am going to use it as a resource when I come to town 12/27-12/31 to lay the groundwork for my film production.

if anyone has any advise on which of these centers are in any way connected to the film community, I would be grateful for any and all advise and leads. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    I was pretty impressed by the Monet and Church exhibit[[s) at the DIA.

Also impressed by the number of entries in Lowell’s spreadsheet.

As the Detroit Art Scene stirs again, I have uploaded my first update since just prior to the arrival of the pandemic. There have been a number of new additions and, sadly, a number of closures. I am relying on the audience to provide me with any more. If you spot any kindly inform me. Enjoy.