Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Remembrance Day

Default Remembrance Day

For years, Andrew Foote used to post this on his International Metropolis website. Alas, that site is no more, so in honor of Remembrance Day, I offer the following.....

My grandfather served as a medic in WWI.

We recently found a couple of postcards he sent from France around New Years 1919. The first one was hand-embroidered.

Word is he was never quite the same after returning from that harrowing experience.

Spelling copied verbatim:
    Pvt. F/C Loy M. XXXXXXXX
    Med. Det.
    Hq. Cl. Camp, 4th Depot Div.
    85th Div. A. P. O. 789
    Am. E. F. France

Mr. and Mrs. Guy XXXXXXXX,
    Reynolds,
    Nebr.
    U.S.A.
    Toul France Dec. 17, 1918
    Will send you a New Years card from France. hoping that I shall not be so far away again on New Years or any other time after I get home again. It rains here every day. The sun is almost always hid behind the clouds. The weather has been quite warm so far for this late in the season. I received your fine letter of Nov. 7th last Eve. Write often, Loy

Toul France March 26, 1919

Just a card tonight. I'm fine, except from being home-sick. I wouldn't live here if I had the whole country. It's raining again everyday. I heard from the 358th Inf. and Ray was never a member of that organization so I wrote to Hqs. 89th Div. but have not heard from them yet. I'm anxious to see the 89th get the Foot-ball championship next Sat. at Paris. It looks as if you will have you summer's work over befor I get home. Its sure fine business being here so long after the war is over.
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-11-17 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

We recently found a couple of postcards he sent from France around New Years 1919. The first one was hand-embroidered.
    Thanks to you grandfather for his contribution to keeping our world safe and more peaceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

We recently found a couple of postcards he sent from France around New Years 1919.
    This is beautiful stuff. How wonderful that you still have it. My grandfather was in the army during WWI but was never sent overseas. Instead they assigned him to be a guard for a few years at a rather well-known military prison: Alcatraz.

I would highly recommend the Veteran's Day service at the Episcopal Cathedral of St. Paul. I attended last night and it's rather moving as we honor all American, Canadian, and British service members. It's not a full mass, it's more of an extended prayer service.

It's a good way to pay your respects and give thanks if you're unsure of any other way to do so.