Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Kovacs Bar in Detroit's Delray neighborhood demolished

"The iconic Delray tavern, a popular haunt in Detroit’s once Hungarian enclave, is just the latest building to be demolished in an area being cleared for construction of the planned Gordie Howe International Bridge, which will span the Detroit River, connecting the United States and Canada."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...dge/841161001/

Egészségedre, Kovacs!

I think I still owe Steve a couple of bux from my beer tab.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; November-10-17 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    Let's link directly to the story: Kovacs, Now That's a Word.

Was there only once and could not keep my eyes off the bar. Glad someone saved it and looking foward to see where it ends up.

Cool back story ^ and a shame a survivor had to go.

Where I live the DOT wanted to add a lane to the highway further cutting through the neighborhoods,the city had DOT move the houses for infill to the surrounding neighborhood empty lots.

It was fun watching them move buildings like the one portrayed here,the interior was not complete so it was converted to condos,but the exterior of the building was preserved.

The moved houses were renovated and sold under a first home buyers program and the buyers had to take a home maintenance course that explained the ins and outs of owning and maintaining a vintage house before they could take possession.

It gets pricey but the return in stabilizing existing neighborhoods long term is the payback.

Really cool looking bar,more so Deco looking.