Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mike Duggan Wins Re-election by landslide victory

Over a 40 point margin. Incredible! So glad to see my fellow detroiters know that a mayor this great doesn't come around often [[see the last 60 years).

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ung/107445284/

Well done, Detroit voters! I'm very optimistic for Detroit's future.

Congratulations,still the right man for the job,no matter what his politics are.

Agreed with the above. None of the other *potential* mayors in city government would be able to handle the gig. Whoever succeeds Duggan eventually, I hope, does not come from city government.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ung/107445284/

over a 40 point margin. incredible! so glad to see my fellow detroiters know that a mayor this great doesn't come around often [[see the last 60 years)
    Glad to see it, I think Mr. Duggan has done a fine job and things are slowly but steadily improving. Those of you who have read my humble posts over the years know that your kindly old professor is a bit of a transit wonk, so little things like restoring 24 hour service and restoring service to Belle Isle mean a lot.

One interesting tidbit from the News article, since, as you know, money talks: Duggan, says the article, "raised about $2.2 million to Young's just under $39,000."

When one candidate is able to fund-raise at more than a fifty-to-one margin over the other, that tells you a lot about what people are thinking. And to those who would say, well sure, but fat cats and wealthy businesspeople, I say unto you, Bernie Sanders. Another note: if I had run for mayor, which is not possible, I could have raised a hell of a lot more than $39,000, and I'm relatively a nobody.

I don't think there was any doubt on this one. He has done a pretty good job just getting things back on track that other cities would never have thought to be an issue [[streetlights anyone?). He needs to continue to drive Detroit as a destination for business and residents, but I do agree, there needs to be a big push over this term to bring attention to neglected areas of the city through blight removal, redevelopment, job programs, etc. He himself said he needed to be judged on Detroit's population numbers and stemming the loss of residents, so lets see where that goes over the next 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Over a 40 point margin.
    Doesn't seem like a lot over a total Zero for an opponent.

Mayor
    One 4-year term Votes Vote %
    Mike Duggan 72,450 72%
    Coleman A. Young II 28,164 28%

Why only 100,000 votes? What's the population now?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Mayor
    Mike Duggan 72,450 72%

Shall we say the election was hardly in doubt.

In Virginia, the election was supposedly in doubt [[the pundits missed the Democratic zeal to send a message) and turnout was near 50%. And NoVa got an inch of rain during a cold, rainy, miserable day.

I doubt the folks in Detroit were sending a message. Just stay the course and we'll be content.

The outfit that Coleman had on when he voted looked like he was going to a trick or treat party after. Did Mongo advise him on how to look professional ??

Mayor
    Mike Duggan 72,450 72%

Because all the new kiddies are using Mom & Pop's address to avoid spending their coffee and alcohol money, so they can't vote. Or worse, don't care to.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    The outfit that Coleman had on when he voted looked like he was going to a trick or treat party after. Did Mongo advise him on how to look professional ??
    Both DeMongo and CAYJR approached the election with a 60's mentality. It's good to see the Citizenry has moved on.

Hah. Not exactly 'trick or treat' party'! I think it was an homage to his father who wore those hat styles [[as did my dad and uncles) but it was just not working as well for CY2.

He's too young to carry if off! I did dig his cool glasses though......!

https://media.clickondetroit.com/pho...0_1280_720.png

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-09-17 at 07:03 AM.

I dig in for duggan!!! Four more years, four more years, four more years!!!

Mayor
    Mike Duggan 72,450 72%

Because over 450,000 Detroiters are not voting. That's includes over remaining 390,000 Black Detroiters.