Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Interesting. I too do not perceive value when I think of Target. Also, I don't see it as the storer where I can get more than one or two things [[available). Trget always seems to have too little variety and lack of focus. And yes 'middle-of-the-road' is for sure going more online traction.

If I had to pick between Target and Meijers, it would be Meijers.

Yes, same here. When Target opened in Canada, and I gave it a chance, checked it out a number of times and found nothing eyepopping or different from what was out there.

I don't get the hate with Target. I rarely walk out empty handed from there.

I don't hate Target. Actually I like the look, feel and layout of Target.

I just need a bit of an edge cost-wise and their women's clothing line really tanked over the years... Like they changed their buyer or something. And I don't even consider them for house cleaning products... too expensive.

On the other hand I really can't stand Walmart. I will go there for certain things, but find the vibe, and layout too much even for the savings.

So cost isn't the only factor for me. I like Dollar General, and Meijers and a bit of Aldies for most of my shopping.

Zacha, I think you have hit the nail on the head as a consumer: shopping at multiple different stores to fit your preferences and budget is much smarter than just rewarding a single retailer with your money, no matter what.

Some people are rabid target fans and do the majority of their shopping there. I like Target, but it's not a destination for me.

They have a nice variety of housewares and decor stuff. Their staples seem a little expensive to me and I can't take the grocery section seriously.

Weekly, my first stop is Sam's Club, then Meijer. If I need something specific, like a baking pan and don't love the selection at Meijer, then I'll got to Target and or BB&B.

I avoid Wal-Mart except for large size socks. They have made improvements, but outside of grocery the stores feel very cluttered to me.

I have the convenience of having a new Kroger Marketplace and Meijer right across from one another, so whatever perks me more is where I'll end up.

If I need something as fast as possible, I'll just go to Walgreens or Dollar General.

I went to BB&B for the first time in about 15 years two weeks ago. It seems that with the demise of department stores... BB&B now has a large bridal registry and selections.

For paper products [[tissues, toilet paper and paper towels)... I find Aldi's is now a better value than even the dollar stores. Tissues at dollar stores are $1 for 108 count, while at Aldi's they are $1.09 for 175 count.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I have the convenience of having a new Kroger Marketplace and Meijer right across from one another, so whatever perks me more is where I'll end up.
    Roseville... 13 Mile & Little Mack?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Roseville... 13 Mile & Little Mack?
    Could also be 26 Mile & Van Dyke, straddling Shelby [[Kroger Marketplace) & Washington [[Meijer) Township
    Last edited by Onthe405; November-09-17 at 11:39 AM.

Actually, I was referring to Fort Street in Southgate.

Goodbye Eastland Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Goodbye Eastland Mall.
    Good riddance to bad rubbish!

With Target, I know many women who like to go there to impulse shop. They have a large array of goods that still provides the "Stroll and Browse" kinda feel that many mothers still identify with. Crucify me if you think that idea is chauvinist.

Question being - will that be enough for them to survive the culling of brick and mortar retail that is evidently underway.

Lastly, big retail can't go under entirely, right? Three reasons come to mind immediately:

1> Last minute xmas/birthday/Halloween shopping has always been a thing. You scramble around town trying to get that last minute item to perfect your list/costume/etc. These big box stores offer product breadth and product depth, therefore diminishing the amount of time scrambling from store to store.

2> Clothing: Ordering clothing online has never been a slam dunk to me. People want to try things on - and see the real deal before they open the pocketbook up. More so, with shoes they can always have a funny feel or look. Having these items delivered to your house via online orders seems like it would foster more work than it's worth. I can understand buying tools or books online, but clothing has always been more personal to me.

3> Lower income groups who will continue to lack access to the internet, and bank accounts/credit cards for purchasing purposes. Hate to admit it, but the standard of living is not keeping up with technology in the 21st century. We will always have lower income groups that lack the means to support themselves entirely online.

I played at Eastland when it was woods/swamp. Was very relieved when it was built, saved me from the dreaded bus ride downtown with ma. [[not including Xmas time trips. ) Ate lunch there when I was in HS. And my first real job was at Sanders there. Now I feel what my ma felt about her old neighborhood a block from Packards.

RIP

has the store closed yet? any major deals?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    has the store closed yet? any major deals?
    I was there when visiting for Christmas and saw no signs of the store closure [[other than the Pharmacy being closed).

I know someone who retired as a manager before the store closing was announced. He started getting calls from former co-workers after they found out. I think he said only 25 out of over 100 employees were going to be kept. Everyone else will be let go. I’ve forgotten the exact number of total employees he mentioned.

Walmart Neighborhood Market [[groceries only) can be quite nice. Wider aisles and the worst of the "Walmart shoppers" don't seem to go there.

We used to go to Target a lot, but they pretty much eliminated junior size for women which my wife needs.

TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Ross seem to be Amazon-proof as you have to really shop and get lucky to find what you want in the size you want, but you won't get it any where else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2