Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Eastland Target closing

The Minneapolis Star Tribune is reporting today that Target is closing 12 stores nationwide, including the Harper Woods location:

http://www.startribune.com/target-is...ngs/455882443/

So sad. Good bye Eastland. Maybe this will lead to a redevelopment of that giant parcel and some new tax revenues for little old Harper Woods.

This will likely be the final nail in the coffin for Eastland. That place has been Hell on Earth for about the last 15 years or so. Rampant drug use and sales were/are common right out in the open inside the mall. Shootings inside the mall as well as on the grounds happened far too often. The criminal element has taken a firm hold of that mall and driven everybody else away.

Our children were forbidden to go there as teenagers and they will not go there now as adults. My wife has not been there in decades. I went occasionally when I needed something quick from Hudson's/Macy's but the last time was probably 7 or 8 years ago and it was dangerous then.

The only decent concern there is Lowe's, which I patronize on rare occasions. The rest of the retail offerings are low grade schlock. A mall cannot survive with a tenant roster of nothing but schlock houses.

RIP Eastland.

To put things in perspective, this pretty much leaves no retail options for folks on the eastside when it comes to general merchandise [[not counting drug stores or dollar stores). Pretty sad.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-07-17 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    RIP Eastland.

To put things in perspective, this pretty much leaves no retail options for folks on the eastside when it comes to general merchandise [[not counting drug stores or dollar stores). Pretty sad.
    So very true.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    RIP Eastland.

We do have some nice retail establishments on The Hill and in The Village as well as some nice independent retailers on Mack Avenue. I am not one who particularly enjoys shopping but if I cannot find what I want close to home, Somerset Mall is only about 25 minutes away.

With the Eastland Target and 9/Harper Kmart both closing it really does hollow-out the retail options on the east side. Really do have to hope that the Eastland site is appropriately redeveloped -- perhaps in a manner similar to Tel-Twelve. It's a big site -- unlike Northland I don't think the City of HW is really in a position to buy the property -- so hopefully something is destined to happen in the near term to bring some life to the property.

Quote Originally Posted by shoelessjoe View Post
    With the Eastland Target and 9/Harper Kmart both closing it really does hollow-out the retail options on the east side. Really do have to hope that the Eastland site is appropriately redeveloped -- perhaps in a manner similar to Tel-Twelve. It's a big site -- unlike Northland I don't think the City of HW is really in a position to buy the property -- so hopefully something is destined to happen in the near term to bring some life to the property.
    Krogers has already bought the Kmarts building on 9 and Harper and is going to shut down the Krogers at 9 and Mack.

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    Krogers has already bought the Kmarts building on 9 and Harper and is going to shut down the Krogers at 9 and Mack.
    The only catch in this is that the new location will only offer expanded offerings of a normal Kroger. For the time being they won't be opening any more Marketplace locations nationwide indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    We do have some nice retail establishments on The Hill and in The Village as well as some nice independent retailers on Mack Avenue. I am not one who particularly enjoys shopping but if I cannot find what I want close to home, Somerset Mall is only about 25 minutes away.
    Or the M-59 corridor, even though the traffic is horrendous....

Quote Originally Posted by shoelessjoe View Post
    Unless that's a bit of a hike to them, at least they'll have the Meijer at Schoenherr and 10 Mile after that opens.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Unless that's a bit of a hike to them, at least they'll have the Meijer at Schoenherr and 10 Mile after that opens.
    Did Macomb Mall close? Did I miss something? Gratiot still offers a large swath of merchandise shopping from 8 Mile and above. I cannot speak to what kind of retailers are in the city proper.

Having lived in the Pointes for some years, I can recall seeing many locals at the retail stores, including the Target, along Gratiot in Roseville and Clinton Township. Many considered the Eastland Target fine for a quick trip during the daytime, but preferred the Gratiot store overall.

The Hill and Village do offer some options, but the pointes and St. Clair Shores seem to be underserved from a retail perspective. Maybe the numbers don't bear this out, but it always seemed that way when I lived there. At least some kind of decent home goods store would be nice to have in the area [[besides pricey Pier One).

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Did Macomb Mall close? Did I miss something? Gratiot still offers a large swath of merchandise shopping from 8 Mile and above. I cannot speak to what kind of retailers are in the city proper.
    Although Sears has closed at Macomb Mall, the At Home store will be replacing it. There is Kohls, Dick's and a few others stores within the mall but many empty spaces as well. You also have JC Penney's just off the freeway and Target just up the road. If I have to do "mall" shopping, I prefer Partridge over Lakeside.

I do believe people living in the Pointes and SCS are screwed. Not to mention the driving time to get to Lakeside or Partridge.
    Last edited by Maof; November-08-17 at 11:42 AM.

To be clear, I was referring to the lower east side in my post.

Yes, there's still the area around Macomb Mall, but it's a hike for many.

Brick and mortar retail is in full retreat everywhere in the country, while malls and the departments stores that anchored them are increasingly going the way of soda fountains, five-and-dimes, and cafeterias. The east side, with its lagging income demographics, is I think just a bellweather here of times to come everywhere, as under-performing big box stores begin to follow department stores in fading away.

The bigger question is what will be left? Certain types of old fashioned retail strips, like Kercheval in the Pointes, seem able to hang on. As do specialty 'destination' malls like Somerset [[although I think the future may be rough on them too). Growing income bifurcation seems to be leaving us with high-end or specialty stores and Wal-Mart or even lower down the economic scale chains [[the dollar stores) on the ground, with mostly online shopping outlets filling the vast in-between space.

St. Clair Shores is by no means screwed... going from 10 1/2 Mile along Gratiot up toward 14 1/2 mile... we have Costco, Sam's Club, 2 Aldi's, T.J.Maxx, Kohl's, Toys R Us, Target, Michael's, Meijer [[on Little Mack), Walmart, Nino Salvaggio's [[in SCS) and a lot of smaller stores along the way.

And Partridge Creek is only 15 minutes to the north. Going Gratiot to Harrington/Cass to Romeo Plank to Partridge Creek Blvd.... one never even has to get onto the M-59 traffic jam.
    Last edited by Gistok; November-08-17 at 04:48 PM.

I've finally had the "pleasure" [[?) of experiencing both Lakeside and Partridge on a weekend. Holy crap, it's a suicide mission. There's nothing I need @ either that badly that'll make me do that again. Talk about congestion! Bet it's fun @ Christmas time.

What Macomb County doesn't realize is that in 15-20 years, their M-59 retail juggernaut is going to be a ghost town. Take the empty big box stores at Eastland [[Macy's, Sears, Target, etc.) and put them on steroids and that is what Hall Road will be. With retail bankruptcies and consolidations, there will be tons of vacant space out there.

Luckily, St. Clair Shores was able to absorb the planned closing of Kmart with a new Kroger standing by.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    St. Clair Shores is by no means screwed... going from 10 1/2 Mile along Gratiot up toward 14 1/2 mile... we have Costco, Sam's Club, 2 Aldi's, T.J.Maxx, Kohl's, Toys R Us, Target, Michael's, Meijer [[on Little Mack), Walmart, Nino Salvaggio's [[in SCS) and a lot of smaller stores along the way.

And Partridge Creek is only 15 minutes to the north. Going Gratiot to Harrington/Cass to Romeo Plank to Partridge Creek Blvd.... one never even has to get onto the M-59 traffic jam.
    I was thinking along the lines of mostly clothing stores which, at one time, was found mainly in malls [[one stop shopping). I hit up all the stores you mentioned and Aldi's is one of my favorites. I avoid hall road, if possible, and take a similar route to Partridge starting at Crocker.
    Last edited by Maof; November-08-17 at 06:41 PM.

Poor management helped the closing of Eastland Target

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of mostly clothing stores which, at one time, was found mainly in malls [[one stop shopping). I hit up all the stores you mentioned and Aldi's is one of my favorites. I avoid hall road, if possible, and take a similar route to Partridge starting at Crocker.
    No problem... I was just making a general statement, not answering you specifically.

Aldi's is one of my favorites too... and the one at Gratiot & 14 Mile was one of the first local ones to get the upgrade... 50% larger, nicer interior, and more items to choose from. It's nice that the Aldi's store model is successful in Detroit as well... I think we'll be seeing more of them in the city in the future. Besides cheap prices and quality food items... they are a great employer with decent wages and full benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    . . .as do specialty 'destination' malls like Somerset [[although I think the future may be rough on them too). Growing income bifurcation seems to be leaving us with high-end or specialty stores and Wal-Mart or even lower down the economic scale chains [[the dollar stores) on the ground, with mostly online shopping outlets filling the vast in-between space.
    Al, to expand on your point, the long term prospects don't look good for "destination" luxury retail catering to high income consumers [[i.e. Somerset, Partridge) because of fast-changing demographics & values.

Statistically, people under 40 [[even wealthy ones) show little interest in what have traditionally been "desirable, enviable" status symbols, which are the mainstay of these destinations.

Brands like Nordstrom, Coach, Rolex, Ralph Lauren, and Cadillac are catering almost exclusively to an older, shrinking base [[stateside, anyway), and are having little to no success in appealing to a younger set of consumers.

Look at Mark Zuckerberg, who sort of embodies the traits of a 21st century multi-billionaire.

Demand for most of this 'stuff' will probably go the way of country club memberships, Sterling silver cigarette lighters, and fur coats---although trends sometimes do cycle back around.
    Last edited by Onthe405; November-08-17 at 09:35 PM.

I agree with most posts on this thread. Target as a company is in a real bind. While infinitely better run than the train wreck that is Sears-Kmart, they have neither the "value" business that Walmart gets nor the real higher end stuff that can attract specialty business. It's nice but-middle-of-the-road housewares and fashions are especially vulnerable to online competition. And unlike Walmart, they have not massively invested in online sales. They have had a disaster in their pharmacy and grocery divisions [[pharmacies are now outsourced to CVS & they keep replacing grocery management as they are unable to realize either significant profits or foot traffic generation goals). They are beset by the troubles facing most major retailers. This could be a company that in the end could do everything correctly to stay in business, and still find that the shopping dollars went elsewhere.

Interesting. I too do not perceive value when I think of Target. Also, I don't see it as the store where I can get more than one or two things [[available). Target always seems to have too little variety and lack of focus. And yes 'middle-of-the-road' is for sure getting more online traction.

If I had to pick between Target and Meijers, it would be Meijers.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-09-17 at 06:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast