Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Paging MasterBlaster

Hey, I saw on that other thread that you're over in Afganistan. Near what city? so we can track the news... Most of all: I want you to stay safe over there. Keep your head down and don't befriend anyone you didn't grow up with. No kids, no old men, no one.

Hello, gnome. Thanks for the words of advice! I am stationed at Bagram Airfield, about 30 miles north of Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan. Bagram Airfield is a very large military establishment - there are about 15,000 to 20,000 soldiers, civilians [[me), and contractors from all over the world. The're soldiers here from New Zealand, Australia, Romania, Poland, Egypt, France, and the list goes on! I really getting a cultural experience here!

Bagram is relatively safe, compared to the southern parts of the country like Kandahar, and Helmund Province, where the Taliban has a stronghold. I stay at the base 99% of the time. In late June, a couple rockets were launched from one of the surrounding villages and hit inside the base, hitting a barracks building and killing one. But other than that, there has been little bloodshed.

I've got to go now, since it has turned midnight here, but in a later post I will explain what I do, and how we are spending those billions of dollars that could go to more police or a rapid transit system !

Great, glad to hear you're doing fine. Plz use this thread to keep us up to speed with what you're doing and how it goes. pics would be cool.

Remember you've got friends here who are interested in your whereabouts.