Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The hypocrisy of Mr. Dan Gilbert

A brilliant business guy? No question about it, none at all. Revitalization of the business district...I'm not gonna argue against it...too many pros. He's created a cool city, conducive to a procurement of the first job/college educated/cheap labor/high turnover demographic that's the bread and butter of his work force...ensuring a long term, robust bottom line.
    I'm not one to argue with a great business model.

It makes me want to spit...to think of Gilbert calling out from some moral pedestal, 3 women back in 2014 for spray painting his precious "alley"...taking to social media and labeling them "degenerates", posting photos and offering a reward for their apprehension. While we had last month, in midtown, multiple women abducted and raped, who lived in a comfort zone Gilbert's economic universe helped create...yet not a peep from Detroit's second coming.

So it's his responsibility to comment on crimes committed in Midtown? Really?

No, it's not his responsibility to comment on crimes in midtown...or downtown or the northwest side...and it is most certainly not his responsibility to offer a reward for the apprehension of those who perpetrated the violence on these 3 girls.

Well, Gilbert is helping to set up a rape kit tracking system, so I assume he's against rape. I guess that isn't enough, though.

http://people.com/crime/rape-kit-backlog-testing-how-detroit-became-the-leader-of-the-movement/

Default Please show any reports of the 3 rapes / kidnapping in Midtown

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside... View Post
    While we had last month, in midtown, multiple women abducted and raped, who lived in a comfort zone Gilbert's economic universe helped create...yet not a peep from Detroit's second coming.
    Are you talking about the rape/abductions that took place north of New Center, near the Highland Park border? That is nowhere near Midtown and isn't even policed by the same police force as Midtown.

I try to keep up with the news, but maybe I missed something. Do you have any links to any reports on the abductions in Midtown?

I am guessing that Mr Gilbert can expect one less card this holiday season,the message sent that it is better to think twice before scribbling on somebody else's private property was received.

I honestly thought someone was going to offer a thoughtful, valid criticism. Instead, we got this bizzaro hot take, trying to draw a comparison between a spray painting incident 3 years ago to a rape. Good work, everyone.

I guess what Mr. Gilbert does and has already done for Detroit and the citizens is a thankless endeavor. Obviously, for some, no matter what good he has accomplished it will never be appreciated. I thank Mr. Gilbert for investing in Detroit, for seeing a brighter future for the people who live and work there, for the jobs created by his visions.

Someone vandalizes his private property verse something completely unrelated to to him. Am I missing something? Did this post kill more brain cells than I initially suspected?

"Bizzaro hot take"...ok, that's fair...and pretty funny!
    [COLOR=rgba[[0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]To clarify, for those who prefer clarity....I in no wise meant to suggest Mr. Gilbert is pro-rape. My good fellows, this isn't a character assassination!

His collaboration with prosecuter Worthy and UPS on the rape kit tracking program is laudable to the highest degree. I write this with absolute sincerity...the good this has done for the victims of sexual assault is beyond what words can express.
    [/COLOR]

Uhhhhhh what kind of topic is this.

I thought maybe this might venture onto the MLS proposal bid and the Gratiot jail site, but this topic? Odd.

I don't think Gilbert's camera network covers midtown. My understanding is that he's been a huge partner in fighting crime in the areas where he's able to help.

A brilliant business guy? No question about it, none at all. Revitalization of the business district...I'm not gonna argue against it...too many pros. He's created a cool city, conducive to a procurement of the first job/college educated/cheap labor/high turnover demographic that's the bread and butter of his work force...ensuring a long term, robust bottom line.
    I'm not one to argue with a great business model.

It makes me want to spit...to think of Gilbert calling out from some moral pedestal, 3 women back in 2014 for spray painting his precious "alley"...taking to social media and labeling them "degenerates", posting photos and offering a reward for their apprehension. While we had last month, in midtown, multiple women abducted and raped, who lived in a comfort zone Gilbert's economic universe helped create...yet not a peep from Detroit's second coming.
    I would venture to say that every block in the city has been vandalized in one way or another by assholes. A line in the sand being drawn is okay with me.

For those of you that never heard the result: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...deal/14557115/

The girls each got $2,000 in restitution, 60 hours of community service, no jail time, and expungement from their record if they stay out of trouble for a year.

That punishment is pretty standard outcome for offense charged.
    Except for Mr.Gilbert's high profile influence, his embarrassing overzealousness..reward offerering...social media shaming...character assailing....these girls would not have all been charged w/ felonies...as they initially were.

That punishment is pretty standard outcome for offense charged.
    Except for Mr.Gilbert's high profile influence, his embarrassing overzealousness..reward offerering...social media shaming...character assailing....these girls would not have all been charged w/ felonies...as they initially were.
    If some asshole girls decided to damage my property I would certainly want to go after them with the law. Why should he be any different?

...not a moment too soon, the Bard has spoken!

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanViews View Post
    Someone vandalizes his private property verse something completely unrelated to to him. Am I missing something? Did this post kill more brain cells than I initially suspected?
    If someone sprayed paint on cars, it would be a crime. Painting brick and other private property surfaces is no different. If Detroit had more money, it could spare time and effort to decrease property crimes. Consider the societal benefits of when neighbors, or even strangers, look out for each other in the absence of police.

"Graffiti is vandalism. Where graffiti flourishes, communities suffer. Graffiti intimidates residents. It encourages street gangs. It discourages tourists, lowers property values and invites other kinds of crime. Graffiti painted New York City into a corner, but we don't have to stay there." -Mayor Giuliani

^ that's where there was a hugh multistory factory that became graffiti central on the outside,the property owner decided to convert to condos and is being sued by the graffiti artists claiming that it should be considered as thier proprietary right and demanding compensation.

Dan Gilbert is neither mayor or the chief of police. The areas in question aren't quite Midtown either. The periphery of Midtown perhaps. Graffiti removal and abatement is a waste of resources.

Default Graffiti

Information that I found on another website said that this was the graffiti that the girls painted. I'm only the messenger! Name:  build the wall.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  73.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Information that I found on another website said that this was the graffiti that the girls painted. I'm only the messenger! Name:  build the wall.jpg
    That's a totally outrageous statement!

That graffiti in the photo is the one Bham and I painted.

That's Ohio University's Graffiti Wall.

Ohio University Greek Week events cancelled over pro-Trump graffiti on free speech wall [[Apr 12, 2016)

lol I guess you got the wrong message.

I would consider that a bill board for public education,so no problem with that one.

I checked my source again and it said that the same girls were seen painting graffiti at Ohio University last year so it looks like they guilty of both of them!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast