Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default WSU Tartars shirt?

Does anyone know if Wayne State sells faux-vintage Tartar shirts? Thanks!
    Last edited by Evelyn; October-28-17 at 11:50 AM.

Highly unlikely the school sells that but there's websites out there that sell those shirts.

https://www.prepsportswear.com/vintageteams/college/michigan/wayne-state-tartars/men-t-shirts/productlist?category=8&schoolid=2858296

Cool.

I had to have the license plate frame for my car custom made. Wayne State only sells Warrior stuff now,.. and it's all terribly cheap quality.

When & why did they have to change their name? What does Wayne State have against flavorful sauces?

WSU changed from Tartars to Warriors in 1999. I think the jokes about condiments and teeth plaque didn't help, and then-President Reid wanted to push athletics more. A better name would help.

Tartars was the name of a Mongolian tribe, and was adopted in 1927 by student vote.

https://wayne.edu/newsroom/release/1...-identity-1301

So it was a racist name insulting to Monogolians. I understand now.

I can't understand why Munies never stuck.

Maybe it was to honor and recognize the Tartar people.

I still have my dad's Wayne Tartars hat, his Wayne U. [[before it was State) track uniform, and his 78 record of Wayne's "Tartar War March" fight song. Along with about a hundred or more ancient copies of the Wayne [[or Detroit, as it was called for a while) Collegian newspaper.

There is a company out there selling EMU Huron logo shirts. I wonder if they have WSU Tartar stuff.