Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ilitch/Tigers Support for Big Three with CF Ads

See this piece from today's Freep:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2009904050437

I am by no means a fan of Mike Ilitch but I thought the decision to display Big Three ads in centerfield free of charge is a good, positive move on the part of him and the Tigers organization. And I want to believe Ilitch was truly "embarrassed by the attention" created by this decision. Then I read it will say "The Detroit Tigers support our automakers" beneath the ads. This makes it sound like the Big Three are nothing but a charity case and also a self-serving/self-advertising move on the part of the Tigers. Am I being too harsh?

You may be a little harsh. It's still more of a plus than a negative but I do agree it would have been better to leave the line out because it does underscore to anyone out of state or seeing it on tv that it's not a paid ad. We may be more sensitive to these things however as, unfortunately, a lot of people aren't even paying attention to the Big 3 let alone reading into the ads. The sickening part to me is the overly sappy article by Mr. Sappy, Mitch Albom. Can't believe I used to like reading that guy - many yrs ago.

I think this was a class act, but I'm wondering if it might backfire. How many people who don't know Mr. Illitch provided the advertising for free will castigate the Big 3 for 'expensive advertising' when they are in such financial straights.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Olddetroiter View Post
    I think this was a class act, but I'm wondering if it might backfire. How many people who don't know Mr. Illitch provided the advertising for free will castigate the Big 3 for 'expensive advertising' when they are in such financial straights.
    I don't anticipate that being an issue. Advertising is a business expense and it's not as if these are overpriced Super bowl ads.

I also like the idea of locally based businesses visibly supporting each other [[and thought Ford lighting their HQ to recognize GM's 100th was especially way cool).

I just thought it was a class act by Mr. Illitch, and nothing more. Why is it that someone has got to think the man has ulterior motives. From reading the article, he spoke about his father working for Ford's, and how it put food on the table at his parents home. I feel pretty much the same way, as my father was an experimental gear cutter at Hydramatic. Dad was a great supporter of GM, he wouldn't think of owning anything but a GM product.

in my opinion, we in the Detroit area don't need anymore Senator Shelbys and Corkers that all they can speak of is negative. These companies HAVE got to survive for the sake of the entire region.

Whoa. Only 5 posts. If this were an Ilitch bashing thread there wouldn't be enough space.

Peter Gammons gave Mr. Ilitch a big shout-out last night on ESPN's Baseball Tonight. If you're an Ilitch basher, it's probably a sign that he's pulling strings in the media. Anyway, it seems like a good thing to do, regardless of his motives.

That is an incredibly nice gesture by Ilitch. Frankly, I'm shocked. I didn't think he had a philanthropic bone in his body.

I'm fine with it. I hope it means those monstrous "GENERAL MOTORS" letters are gone from center field. Talk about tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    That is an incredibly nice gesture by Ilitch. Frankly, I'm shocked. I didn't think he had a philanthropic bone in his body.
    Mr and Mrs Ilitch do a lot of philanthropic work. They just do not make sure it makes headlines in the newspapers.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by waz View Post
    I'm fine with it. I hope it means those monstrous "GENERAL MOTORS" letters are gone from center field. Talk about tacky.
    GM owned rights to the fountain and provided the vehicles, but can't do it this year so Illitch is going to buy one vehicle from each of the Big 3 for this display this year.

Cool beans!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/19123804/detail.html

The General Motors letters were not tacky.A Honda sign would be tacky.Bless you Mr. I.We know we need to support our local "jewels",or "outsiders will take them away,right Martha?Like our jobs.
    What happened to the GM letters they took off the GM building?In storage I hope.

Here is a savvy PR move by Mike Illitch that solicited a puff piece. If Illitch were honestly concerned about the state of the local economy, he would have easily paid for past-recent demolitions of his neglected buildings in the City of Detroit himself - most of those historically significant buildings demolished solely for the sake of short-sighted, surface lot parking. Then, he could have done the responsible thing a billionaire like him would do - absolve a city millions in debt millions in the cost of demolition. But he didn't think about that, did he? Instead, he made a grand gesture in center field that millions of viewers at home could see.
    Last edited by oneway; April-08-09 at 02:33 PM.

Bumping this ......... I was at Comerica Park this weekend [[for the first time since 2006, living out of town) and noticed this. It's a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by oneway View Post
    ... a savvy PR move by Mike Illitch that solicited a puff piece. ... he made a grand gesture in center field that millions of viewers at home could see.
    Business. Observing the overall reactions, indeed savvy.

I'm with Oneway on this one. I don't believe Illitch's have a charitable or philanthropic bone in their bodies. If they're's so concerned, there are scores of ways for them to put their money where their mouths are - something that might actually cost time and money. I still remember Denise Illitch saying in an interview back in the 90's, that the Illitch's had a fund to assist small businesses in the Grand Circus Park area. This was in the run-up to the august vote to approve taxpayer/city/county/state funding of the new ballparks. It was a sales pitch designed to make them look like they were really concerned about Detroit. I made a note to remember it because it was so far fetched and unlike the Illitch's. Needless to say, Illitch's's have never assisted a business in the area that I'm aware of. Also, I'd like someone to name an Illitch philanthropic or charitable project. I'm not saying they do nothing, I'm saying, in relative terms, they do very little. And even if they did considerable good, it's completely offset by their destructiveness.

As someone who knows a few of the Illitches, I will say that they're chiefly business people and about the profits of their companies, but they're not heartless Scrooges by any means. So rehabbing buildings that make no sense financially, you won't see much of that with the Illitches.

But they do quietly give lots of money to local charities through their multitude of companies as well as through their charitable foundation. Will you see a front page press release on them giving away money? Never. They quietly give away a lot of money in this community to organizations that they are impressed with after following them for several years. It's something they feel people in their position should do because it's their responsibility as members of the community, not as a PR stunt or to attract more attention to their companies.

Forgot to add [[no pun intended) that Mike's intentions are probably not entirely charitable with the fountain and ads. Remember the Big 3 are some of the largest purchasers of advertising in the world, even in this economy. "You scratch my back in these times and I'll scratch yours when I get back on my feet."

Quote Originally Posted by BVos View Post
    As someone who knows a few of the Illitches, I will say that they're chiefly business people and about the profits of their companies, but they're not heartless Scrooges by any means. So rehabbing buildings that make no sense financially, you won't see much of that with the Illitches.

But they do quietly give lots of money to local charities through their multitude of companies as well as through their charitable foundation. Will you see a front page press release on them giving away money? Never. They quietly give away a lot of money in this community to organizations that they are impressed with after following them for several years. It's something they feel people in their position should do because it's their responsibility as members of the community, not as a PR stunt or to attract more attention to their companies.
    Again, this would certainly make business sense. And of course, they may collect any of those nice incentivizing tax benefits associated with charitable donations . This is how we do...

Bvos, thanks for your post. I appreciate that you defend your friends and business associates. I also know a few of the Illitches [[not well by any means) and have for quite a few years. That doesn't explain what their charities are and what they do. If you have knowledge of the names, purposes and goals [[vision statements) of their charitable organizations, the amounts they've donated or gifted, it would help to make your point. And, I might be persuaded to think differently of the Illitches. So far, even people I know who are fairly high up in the Illitch Organizations haven't been able to fully explain what their charitible activities are and what the amounts are. This isn't a matter of the Illitches holding it close to their chests out of modesty. It's a matter of whether they actually do something to give back. I'm not making a case for Art Van, Karmanos or the Manoogians, but they've funded major charities in the area. What comparable philanthropy have the Illitches built or funded? I'd imagine if they are actually doing something, even secretively, it would get out to the public somehow. No signs of it yet.

Bvos, another thought : not every building and structure is meant to be rehabbed. By the same token, not every building is a bottom line, immediate, financial decison to be demolished. Yes, I know we have an over abundance of vacant buildings in Detroit. The Madison Lennox is a good example of a building that even a lot of business people thought to be a great subject for a rehab. If the Illitches hadn't owned it, it more than likely would've become a boutique hotel or some other use. Even the DAC, not a very likely institution to speak out against any business, much less a member's business, endorsed the rehab of the ML. The Super Dooper Pooper Bowl would've been the perfect opportunity. I saw the tinker toy facade of the Fine Arts building last week. What a farce! What's the purpose? Is that erector set sitting there better for downtown than the Fine Arts building, vacant or not? Personally, I think the Illitches have demonstrated no vision for Detroit other than successful sports teams. That's not bad- it's certainly a boon economically, but true vision goes far beyond hockey and baseball. I'll also never forgive them Tiger Stadium. If they didn't want it, the least they could've done was to reject the money they took for years under the pretense of securing and safeguarding it.

Isn't there a hospice south of the DMC [[in Brush Park area?) named after Marion Ilitch's parents? I somehow remember them involved with that project.

1kielsondrive, yes there's plenty to be angry with them over. And then once in a while they do a nice gesture, such as the signage at Comerica Park.

They also saved Masonic Temple from certain closure by paying their enormous DTE bills. But the flip side of that one is that the got the booking rights for the 4,404 seat Masonic and 1,585 seat Scottish Rite Theatres.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    I'm with Oneway on this one. I don't believe Illitch's have a charitable or philanthropic bone in their bodies.
    The fountain is prime advertising space. GM told Illitch they couldn't afford it. Illitch had offers from unnamed companies willing to pay more than what GM was paying. Illitch decided to give the most prime advertising space in the park [[besides behind home plate) to GM, Ford, and Chrysler free of charge.

If it was a "savvy business move," Illitch would have accepted the $2M from whatever company wanted the space, and that would be that. This wasn't a savvy business move, it was an act of solidarity from one major part of daily life in Detroit to another. Sort of like "we're all in this together, and we support you." Which is exactly what the sign says under the three ads. Geez the negativity on this board can turn even the simplest of things into a conspiracy....

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    That doesn't explain what their charities are and what they do. If you have knowledge of the names, purposes and goals [[vision statements) of their charitable organizations, the amounts they've donated or gifted, it would help to make your point. And, I might be persuaded to think differently of the Illitches.
    Here you go: http://www.ilitchcharities.org/

I think for someone of Illitch's wealth, stature and supposed status in the Detroit, Michigan and national communities, this is pretty meager. Thanks for posting it Detroitej72.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast