ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Boil Water Alert- Oakland County

Water main break.

Communities affected by the boil-water advisory:

• Bloomfield Township
    • Commerce
    • Farmington Hills – North of 696
    • Keego Harbor
    • Oakland Township – The Hills of Oakland and Kings Pointe Subdivisions only
    • Orchard Lake
    • Novi – In the area bounded by 14 mile on the north, 8 mile on the south, Napier on the west, and Haggerty on the east.
    • Novi Township
    • Rochester Hills – North of Hamlin and West of Livernois
    • Wixom

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...day/793814001/

Default Boil Alert

Looks like we'll have to get by on Scotch and bottled water until the boil alert ends...

Name:  20171024_125058_resized.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  188.7 KB

I live in an unaffected part of Rochester Hills. I've heard that some of the suburbs have ZERO water pressure and that's why the school have closed [[no sprinkler or hydrant pressure).

Was at the Costco in Livonia around one o'clock. They were already out of bottled water, and had quite a few customers waiting around for an apparently-imminent delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Looks like we'll have to get by on Scotch and bottled water until the boil alert ends...
    Reminds me of this quote attributed to Mark Twain, "When God created the American West he provided plenty of whiskey to drink and just enough water to fight over."

Water is a commodity people take for granted.
    For the most part , water is thought of as CHEAP
    -- until it becomes scarce, and then it becomes precious, like gold

Lack of investment? Incompetenece? Just one of those things? Has it been determined? We just gotta place blame. Nice to see that Flint's not the only place where things go wrong.

Isn't Oakland County one of the richest in the country ?
    No doubt LBrooksP saved his constituents from high taxes
    -- by basically not funding the infrastructure projects.

Infrastructure costs money, and politicians want to be RE-elected.

Oakland County ranked:
    #200 for Median Household Income [[among all counties in USA)
    #93 for Per Capita Income

People have money , time to RAISE those taxes a bit more
    Last edited by O3H; October-25-17 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Isn't Oakland County one of the richest in the country ?
    No doubt LBrooksP saved his constituents from high taxes
    -- by basically not funding the infrastructure projects.

Infrastructure costs money, and politicians want to be RE-elected.

Oakland County ranked:
    #200 for Median Household Income [[among all counties in USA)
    #93 for Per Capita Income

People have money , time to RAISE those taxes a bit more
    My Bloomfield twp taxes went up $1800/yr [[$250k market) in 2015. I pity the sucker who paid $380k for the house last month. The assessor is going to nail him. In addition he'll get hit with 15 yr/$15k specialty assessment to redo the subdivision roads . So from 2014-2018 the property tax will essentially double.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    My Bloomfield twp taxes went up $1800/yr [[$250k market) in 2015. I pity the sucker who paid $380k for the house last month. The assessor is going to nail him. In addition he'll get hit with 15 yr/$15k specialty assessment to redo the subdivision roads . So from 2014-2018 the property tax will essentially double.
    The subdivision 25 MPH roads in Bloomfield Township are absolutely appalling, but I have heard nothing about a specialty assessment of any type.

First Flint now Oakland County.

Sooo who "likes" that bottled water taste - compared to your home tap ?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    The subdivision 25 MPH roads in Bloomfield Township are absolutely appalling, but I have heard nothing about a specialty assessment of any type.
    While main roads are fine, Bloomfield Twp has amazingly appalling secondary roads, sometimes like you're riding through rural Afghanistan instead of one of the richest places in the country.

I guess it's because everything was built out from the 50's through the 70's, and the roads have gone to hell?

this is specifically referring to Westchester Village. the hoa wants to hire private contractors to rebuild roads/curbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    First Flint now Oakland County.
    Nope, completely different.

Flint - Water had high levels of lead and was covered up my local and state officials who LIED to residents. Water system damaged by lack of anti-corrosive chemicals.

Oakland County - Water main break causes low pressure which leads to possible intrusions into the water supply. Everyone is notified immediately.

What happened in Flint is still outrageous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    this is specifically referring to Westchester Village. the hoa wants to hire private contractors to rebuild roads/curbs.
    Oh okay, got it now. I live across Maple Road, in Bloomfield Village, I don’t even think we have an HOA, I’ve never heard of one. I think I remember a vote on total road repaving several years ago that got soundly defeated. The neighborhood roads here are absolutely terrible, two summers ago they did some full repaving for certain short stretches, they did very little of that this year. If you call and complain about a particular area they will come out and do some woefully inadequate patching that doesn’t last at all, but they do respond, very timely.

Oh okay, got it now. I live across Maple Road, in Bloomfield Village, I don’t even think we have an HOA, I’ve never heard of one.
    My sister lives in BV, and yeah, roads are amazingly terrible. Covington is ridiculous.

I thought you have annual HOA fees? I doubt it would be that huge a burden to have a special assessment to get the roads in reasonable shape, especially given the BV demographic.

Ohhhh YUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMM !!! Boiled Water

What tastes better than boiled - Bottled Water - mmmm TASTY !!!

Oh what's that you say - tap water tastes just fine, good for coffee too.

How much would you pay extra - to keep that tap water flowing - daily ??

...I think I remember a vote on total road repaving several years ago that got soundly defeated. The neighborhood roads here are absolutely terrible...
    That's your answer why the roads are so bad. It is the will of the people to break their axles.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    That's your answer why the roads are so bad. It is the will of the people to break their axles.
    Not really, The people just don’t seem to want to pay extra for it. The 25MPH neighborhood roads in Bloomfield Township are in worse shape then just about any other city around here that I’ve driven on. In Detroit, Warren, Madison Heights, Hazel Park, Birmingham, the neighborhood streets , for the most part, are in much better shape. A very good friend of mine lives in Troy, in the Big Beaver / Adams Road area, that entire subdivision was repaved in the the Summer of 2016, I couldn’t believe they would do that, his street was no where near as bad as the Bloomfield Township side streets. He didn’t mention anything about any addition assessment either.

Other then that the township services are fantastic, there’s nothing to complain about other then the pavement on the side streets. Some people aren’t happy unless they have something to complain about, hoping that’s not me, I never wanted to be like that.

Not really, The people just don’t seem to want to pay extra for it. The 25MPH neighborhood roads in Bloomfield Township are in worse shape then just about any other city around here that I’ve driven on. In Detroit, Warren, Madison Heights, Hazel Park, Birmingham, the neighborhood streets , for the most part, are in much better shape. A very good friend of mine lives in Troy, in the Big Beaver / Adams Road area, that entire subdivision was repaved in the the Summer of 2016, I couldn’t believe they would do that, his street was no where near as bad as the Bloomfield Township side streets. He didn’t mention anything about any addition assessment either.

Other then that the township services are fantastic, there’s nothing to complain about other then the pavement on the side streets. Some people aren’t happy unless they have something to complain about, hoping that’s not me, I never wanted to be like that.
    In Farmington Hills, the subdivision votes to redo the streets in the sub, and the city and the sub split the cost. The money goes on your tax assessment, and takes about 10 years to pay off. It seems fair to split the cost with the city, since the roads aren't used by anybody except the residents.

So when does the GLWA get in bed with MDOT ?
    Can't get to the underground pipes without tearing up the road.

I'm happy to be out of bloomfield twp...they're excessive at the very least regarding permitting & ordinances. the 'ladies' in the township office are anything but. they seem not to understand they work for the people. regarding the subdivision roads, they're original from the 1950's, so they're due for an upgrade. they're all township roads, not private roads so one could assume the township should repave them with township taxes and not an additional assessment. I for one, want all the contractors and heavy equipment operators to pay user fees. the sub is now full heinous spec built mcmansions and the builders add a lot of wear and tear to the roads.

Wow. My property tax is less than $400.00/year [[no typo there) and they pave our roads every few years, rotating which sections need it.

I pay about $20/mo for county water. Septic tanks so no sewerage charge.

And since my nearest neighbors are a 1/4 mile away, I don't have to hear them flush their toilet either.

Septic in the State of Michigan is basically UN-regulated.
    No one checks, inspects, regulates, administers septic in Michigan.

The Michigan Supreme Court has concluded
    a municipality can be held liable for,
    and is required to prevent,
    a discharge that originates within its borders,
    even when the discharge is by a private party.

No central system exists to track the locations or
    conditions of these systems as Michigan lacks a
    statewide sanitary code that would require inspections.

Only 11 of Michigan’s 83 counties conduct septic inspections
    at time the time of real estate transaction.

More than half of all new single-family houses built today
    in Michigan are not serviced by a public wastewater utility
    but instead rely on individual septic systems.

Estimates that at least 130,000 systems statewide are
    likely failing and discharging as much as
    31 million gallons of sewage per day.
    Last edited by O3H; October-31-17 at 08:59 AM.