Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lonely Planet names Detroit the top city to visit in U.S.

And #2 in the world:

Lonely Planet, one of the largest travel book publishers in the world, is set to name Detroit the second best city in the world to visit in 2018, the latest national distinction in a growing list of them that officials say adds up to a lot of buzz.

Even celebrities, such as actor and former rapper Mark Wahlberg, are singing the city's praises.

But, even if Detroit wasn't No. 1 in the Lonely Planet ranking, folks who closely follow these lists said they will gladly take No. 2 — for now.

"It's damn good!" said Larry Alexander, head of the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau, given Lonely Planet's reputation, reach and influence. "This is gigantic for Detroit to be included. I'll take No. 2 and be very happy."

http://www.freep.com/story/travel/mi...net/791360001/

Clickbait nonsense, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Clickbait nonsense, right?
    Hardly. LP is the most read travel guide in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Hardly. LP is the most read travel guide in the world.
    They came up with a non-scientific list based on highly subjective criteria.

That seems to describe clickbait perfectly to me, just like the clickbait below that listed Detroit as the worst city to visit.

http://www.escapehere.com/destinatio...united-states/

"I get it."

Take the QLine to LCA [[or another sports facility). Think I'm BSing? [[Okay, tongue-in-cheek).

The top spot on the Lonely Planet list went to Seville, Spain. But, Detroit beat out Canberra, Australia; Hamburg, Germany; Kaohsiung, Taiwan; Antwerp, Belgium; Matera, Italy; Guanajuato, Mexico; and Oslo, Norway.

San Juan, Puerto Rico, the only other American city in the top 10, was No. 8.

What made the travel publisher take notice of Detroit?

Howard, who is expected to be in Detroit on Wednesday to help the city celebrate its honor, praised Detroit for its new hotels, stadiums, parks, improved public transportation,
    and, what, he called the city's "ever-present creative energy and innovation."

So after I visit Detroit again, I'm going to Puerto Rico [[not soon, though
    ).
    Last edited by emu steve; October-24-17 at 07:24 PM.

I don't usually give these sorts of lists much attention. I'm quite sure most try hard to find surprising suggestions in order to attract attention. But I will say people grossly underestimate how interesting Detroit is to visit, not least among them the people who live there. Particularly those who live out into the suburbs and rarely visit themselves. And Lonely Planet's niche in the travel guide market is to cater to seasoned travelers much more interested in experiencing local culture than first class accommodations and Michelin star restaurants. Detroit makes a lot more sense for their readers than it does for say, people who prefer to travel with Frommer's, Fodor's, or Rick Steve's.
    Last edited by bust; October-24-17 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    They came up with a non-scientific list based on highly subjective criteria.

That seems to describe clickbait perfectly to me, just like the clickbait below that listed Detroit as the worst city to visit.

http://www.escapehere.com/destinatio...united-states/
    I don't get your point. Lonely Planet is the holy grail of world travel guides. They don't make clickbait lists.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I don't get your point. Lonely Planet is the holy grail of world travel guides. They don't make clickbait lists.
    Travelled the world with a LP paperback about 20 years ago. I think they still have credibility.

Lonely Planet is excellent. And Detroit is definitely underrated. But even as a booster I have to say I don't think it's that underrated...

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Travelled the world with a LP paperback about 20 years ago. I think they still have credibility.
    Used LP all around urban and rural China ten years ago. Never thought it steered me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I don't usually give these sorts of lists much attention. I'm quite sure most try hard to find surprising suggestions in order to attract attention. But I will say people grossly underestimate how interesting Detroit is to visit, not least among them the people who live there. Particularly those who live out into the suburbs and rarely visit themselves. And Lonely Planet's niche in the travel guide market is to cater to seasoned travelers much more interested in experiencing local culture than first class accommodations and Michelin star restaurants. Detroit makes a lot more sense for their readers than it does for say, people who prefer to travel with Frommer's, Fodor's, or Rick Steve's.
    Not sure if agree with you on this one bust. This past weekend the downtown was bursting at the seems with daytripping suburbanites all over the place.

It's pretty interesting people watching, all the groups of them seem to have at least one tour guide imbedded saying something like "and now we have a ......" or "next you all have to see the ...." and someone in the group is often asking "where is this river walk?" Like it's going to have a turnstile in Capital park or on Fort Street and when you go through it your there!

And the wedding parties. Had to have at least two dozen of them spread out taking pictures of people and buildings all Saturday afternoon.

The changes just a keep on coming. Sure wasn't like that 5 years ago.

I didn't say all suburbanites. My own parents live in the suburbs, appreciate the city, and come in often. I said those who rarely visit. You know the ones.... Those whose glimpses of the city are usually just the rooftops they see over the expressway embankments when their travel takes them through. There are still plenty of them too. Hopefully fewer than 5 years ago.
    Last edited by bust; October-24-17 at 10:23 PM.

So this is the worst place to live in America but the second best place to visit in the world. Interesting dynamic there.

I've been to 49 US States and 33 countries, and I've seen every sort of city and town. I know these lists are built with very subjective criteria and motives, but Detroit really does have a unique vibe that visitors can appreciate and enjoy. #2 in the world probably not...but a destination city worthy of a visit, certainly.

I'm on this forum all the time. I don't live in Detroit. I'm from Australia. I work in the media.

Lonely Planet was formed by a UK husband and wife team [[Tony and I don't remember her name) who travelled south, across Asia, to Australia in the 1970s.

Along the way, they gathered facts and figures that might help other budget travellers [[note that we don't spell it 'travelers') in the form of a stapled-together travel guide called 'The Yellow Bible'.

Once they arrived and settled in Australia, they launched Lonely Planet Publications, but even the Lonely Planet name was a mistake because the printer/publisher mis-read the book's title [['Lovely Planet') and labelled it Lonely Planet.

Tony did quite well with Lonely Planet Publications and ended up living permanently in Australia and driving a Ferrari, despite being a cheap scumbag in his early days.

Even I myself ended up a magazine columnist, and a travel writer, who authored four travel guide books.

[[I know that I am a true scumbag because the money I earned by authoring each travel guide book was literally gone within 24 hours of being paid for each book.)

I am endeared [[and fascinated) with Detroit because I was there to cover issues and stories pertaining to the 2013 municipal bankruptcy of the city and the 2014 anniversary of Detroit turning 313 years old. [[Being Detroiters, I assume you know what 'The 313' is.)

You have a great and grand city with many fascinating flaws and foibles. Like a phoenix you will rise again... but don't get me started - I could type and write forever...
    Last edited by night-timer; October-25-17 at 04:14 AM.

"You have a great and grand city with many fascinating flaws and foibles. Like a phoenix you will rise again... but don't get me started - I could type and write forever... "

Yes, that seems to be a consensus here.

I can name many great things about Detroit and many shall I say 'not great' things about Detroit.

So it becomes like a Rorschach test: You can look at the same stimulus [[Detroit) and choose to see what you want.

I have friends who were supposed to be in Detroit this past week. Wanted to see the Henry Ford, Gross Pointes, and some of Detroit.

They went to Europe last month and never did schedule the trip to Detroit.

A good travel adviser gives the tourists a list of the places to visit. Detroit isn't like So. Cal -- start somewhere in downtown L.A., head for the Pacific and drive and drive and drive and end up in Laguana Beach or wherever.
    Last edited by emu steve; October-25-17 at 06:15 AM.

But Detroit is more than a boomtown: the largest city in Michigan has a varied and complex history that spans more than three centuries and industries from motor cars to Motown. Those investing in the city are, for the most part, respecting that heritage by choosing to restore, not replace, gambling that the extra expense of a renovation will yield returns in character. Their efforts complement the stalwarts that have been there all along, amplifying the Motor City's unique voice. Not only is there more than ever to enjoy in Detroit, you can also eat, sleep and play in buildings that were moldering ruins just a few years ago. Meet the new Detroit, America’s most ambitious renovation project.

Full write up on Detroit: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/gre...2-1479d27680c5