Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Kodachrome image slide print taken from the Maccabees Building

The attached photo is from the DetroitYes Hall of Fame posted by MikeM I believe. It is a Kodachrome slide print taken from the Maccabees Building in 1954. I have a number of questions about this image. The first one is does anyone know what that red brick building in the center of the image is that I have drawn a red heart around. Follow up question may be self apparent but does that building still exist?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mortalman; October-22-17 at 07:26 PM.

I don't know anything about the building, but it does still exist.

https://goo.gl/maps/cCZc6ZJNHYG2

Same building, different angle?

http://historicdetroit.org/building/thompson-home/

I should have known that buiding since I walked past it for 4 years while I was going to WSU!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I don't know anything about the building, but it does still exist.

https://goo.gl/maps/cCZc6ZJNHYG2

I have attached the image again with another building circled in yellow this time. I looked at both of your links but don't see this building. Any idea what this next building is?Name:  Red Building3.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  41.8 KB

It's Hilberry Theater across the street on Cass.

That is the Thompson Home for Old Ladies before WSU remuddled the exterior.
    Designed by Mason & Rice. Thompson Home for Old Ladies, 4756 Cass Avenue built in 1884 Warren-Prentis Historic District, Detroit, MI. Includes an image of the building from the archives of the Detroit Historical Society, circa 1900.

The second building is;
    Designed by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls. First Church of Christ Scientist 4743 Cass Avenue built 1916-1917 Midtown Detroit, MI. Includes an image of the church from a book on Bryant & Detwiler Construction Company published in 1921.

Currently the Hillberry Theatre.

We're doing so good with identifying the buildings but the bonus is you are coming up with the construction companies, too. So, I have attached a new image with a building on the far right circled or halfName:  Red Building4.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  42.5 KB-circled in green. Is there enough of the building to identify it, too?
    Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    The second building is;
    Designed by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls. First Church of Christ Scientist 4743 Cass Avenue built 1916-1917 Midtown Detroit, MI. Includes an image of the church from a book on Bryant & Detwiler Construction Company published in 1921.

Currently the Hillberry Theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by mortalman View Post
    We're doing so good with identifying the buildings but the bonus is you are coming up with the construction companies, too. So, I have attached a new image with a building on the far right circled or halfName:  Red Building4.jpg
Size:  42.5 KB-circled in green. Is there enough of the building to identify it, too?
    You must be joking?

You're probably not familiar with Midtown and WSU I take it.... that happens to be one of the most iconic buildings in all of Midtown... WSUs Old Main....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Ma...te_University)

Fortunately or unfortunately I had classes in Old Main in the late 1960s!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You're probably not familiar with Midtown and WSU I take it.... that happens to be one of the most iconic buildings in all of Midtown... WSUs Old Main....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Ma...te_University)

Fortunately or unfortunately I had classes in Old Main in the late 1960s!
    They weren't the mandatory art/drawing classes, were they?