Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Light l16....

Default Light l16....

Dear interested members of the DetroitYes Non-Detroit Forums, I am very much interested in the new technology and new camera known as the LIGHT L16. Have any of my fellow members had first hand experience with one of these cameras and if so would you be willing to share what you know. The price on them is on the heavy side so getting as much information from people that share my interests is valuable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'd wait for the review on here:
    https://www.dpreview.com/

I've read that people have concerns that the preliminary example photos were shot under ideal conditions - lots of natural light, outdoor shots of people not doing much. No action shots, no low-light shots, no high contrast shots, no backlit shots. That usually means it won't work well in those conditions.

Why are the lenses scattered in such an erratic pattern? Is this a joke?

These are all good points you make Re: natural light, outdoor shots of people not doing much, no action shots, no low-light shots, no high contrast shots and no back-lit shots are all excellent points to make. I am gathering information from a photographic forum I belong to and will share the more important points back here. At $1,300 for a subscribed camera in a predisposition mode and approximately $1,700 retail price it behooves me to get as much information as I can prior to a purchase if that's what I decide upon. Thanks, again.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I'd wait for the review on here:
    https://www.dpreview.com/

I've read that people have concerns that the preliminary example photos were shot under ideal conditions - lots of natural light, outdoor shots of people not doing much. No action shots, no low-light shots, no high contrast shots, no backlit shots. That usually means it won't work well in those conditions.

There is a method to their madness in terms of the lens positions but I'll have to go back to the product video to be able to make an intelligent comment on this question. My assumption in terms of the "high quality" of the product along with the expensive price that it is probably not a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Why are the lenses scattered in such an erratic pattern? Is this a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by mortalman View Post
    ....My assumption in terms of the "high quality" of the product along with the expensive price that it is probably not a joke.
    Fair enough. At first it looked like something from an article in The Onion.

They say they had to "fold" all the optics to make it thinner. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Astronomers have been doing something similar for many years now. They combine images from many small telescopes into one image that is "as if" taken from one large telescope. Their rationale is that the price of a mirror increases with the fourth[[!) power of its diameter. Large optics get very expensive very fast.

The images captured by these modules are combined into single photos, giving the camera some groundbreaking features. These include 52-megapixel+ photos, 5x optical zoom, ultra-low light performance, depth of field control, and more, all in a relatively small compact camera.
    I don't understand why they refer to what look like lenses as modules, but apparently it's supposed to work well in very low light.And Jimaz is right about the combining images aspect. It's cool if it works
    https://petapixel.com/2017/08/04/her...camera-camera/