Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Garbage Advertisement by Coleman Young Campaign

Unreal load of garbage being spouted by the Young Mayoral Campaign. I would love to see this idiot get absolutely crushed by Duggan. I hope those of you with a vote in this election can see past the race garbage that will undoubtedly come out of Young's campaign and focus on what Duggan has accomplished and the direction this city is moving. There is a lot left for him to do, including helping branching out development into the neighborhoods, improving schools, and bringing jobs to residents, but I think he's done a pretty damn good job thus far.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ick/106796742/

A federal grand jury is investigating the Duggan administration, so the ad is factually correct.

Of course it's misleading; they aren't apples-to-apples with Kilpatrick's misdeeds, and the racial angle is sad but predictable, but that's what politicans do; they lie, pander and exaggerate. Duggan does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    A federal grand jury is investigating the Duggan administration, so the ad is factually correct.
    According to the article, the ad says that Duggan admitted to rigging contracts, which the article states is factually incorrect.

Politicians and business heads lie, cheat, swindle and rig contracts.

What matters [[at least to me) is whether or not they or their friends personally benefit.

Coleman Young II has approximately 0% chance of winning, so he might as well lob some Hail Mary passes and be provocative and throw some mud. He's sure as hell not going to upset Duggan by running on the strength of his CV. If he had any accomplishments or achievements or merits of his own to run on, he wouldn't have had to change his name.

Did Joel Loving ever meet his "father" while Young was alive? His whole story is manipulative and sickens me. I see on wikipedia he also worked for JoAnn Watson, so it's clear where he learned his game.

I agree with Dr. Jeff - Politics is always dicey, but, I'm hoping most of Detroit's voters recognize the progress that has been made and more to come and not bank on someone who's only claim to fame is his adopted name.

I like Joel, have spoken with him at community events several times, he's witty and does genuinely care about the city and Detroiters. Would I vote for him against Duggan based on what I've seen during the last 4 years of our Mayor's term? No. He doesn't possess the clout, the public buy-in, or experience to lead a city like Detroit. And his platform sucks, I told him so.

Someone had to run against Duggan, able to take the beating while knowing they were going to lose.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; October-19-17 at 10:13 PM.

He's done and nobody else are running against Mayor Duggan. Coleman Young II has gone too far. He wants black control of Detroit and white folks to stay stable under his watch just like his bigot papa did back in the 1970s.

Do yourself a favor Young, stay as senator, remove yourself from your papa's past and try to run for governor of Michigan when you get older.

I've interacted with Joel too, and have found him, as detroitsgwenivere says above, to be intelligent, engaged, and witty. Frankly, he surprised me, as I was very put off by him so glaringly riding on his biological father's coattails, but he has done pretty well in Lansing representing our district.

But he has no chance of winning this election, and is being backed by some of the most retrograde forces in the city. This ad shows all of that pretty clearly, and amounts to an ugly act of political desperation. It's certainly fair game to bring up the possible federal investigation of Duggan and his administration, but it isn't fair game to lie about the mayor admitting to the charges. And the innuendo crap about Kilpatrick, and most especially the taglines "it's as simple as black and white" and "it's time we take our city back" are nothing but reprehensible. I am heartened to see though that the good people of our city appear not to be falling for that sort of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I've interacted with Joel too, and have found him, as detroitsgwenivere says above, to be intelligent, engaged, and witty. Frankly, he surprised me, as I was very put off by him so glaringly riding on his biological father's coattails, but he has done pretty well in Lansing representing our district.

But he has no chance of winning this election, and is being backed by some of the most retrograde forces in the city. This ad shows all of that pretty clearly, and amounts to an ugly act of political desperation. It's certainly fair game to bring up the possible federal investigation of Duggan and his administration, but it isn't fair game to lie about the mayor admitting to the charges. And the innuendo crap about Kilpatrick, and most especially the taglines "it's as simple as black and white" and "it's time we take our city back" are nothing but reprehensible. I am heartened to see though that the good people of our city appear not to be falling for that sort of crap.
    I am with you on this Al

As evidenced in the last mayor election the people of Detroit are far less interested in the race of the candidate as they are in the message and their belief in that he can do what he says he will for them and the City.

If they wanted to vote for race all that had to be done was color in the circle. To vote for Duggan they had to write in his name for it was not on the ballot. It is my belief that race is the wrong angle to play against Duggan. His intentions are clear, to help all Detroiters.

Which are all the reasons he will absolutely not win! The perception and read on all of that [[whatever one thinks of Coleman Young sr) is not going to pull the larger vote percentage.

The current narrative is about inclusion and diversity [[helpful/ hopeful/ fake or whatever - that's another debate). Bottom line: a black-only power block world view of Detroit is not solvent.

However, on the other hand when it comes to poli-tricks I really try NOT to be surprised by anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    He's done and nobody else are running against Mayor Duggan. Coleman Young II has gone too far. He wants black control of Detroit and white folks to stay stable under his watch just like his bigot papa did back in the 1970s.

Do yourself a favor Young, stay as senator, remove yourself from your papa's past and try to run for governor of Michigan when you get older.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-22-17 at 08:41 AM.

Running for governor doesn't seem to be a bad idea at this point. Since he can't work in state legislature anymore because of term-limits.

However, right now Duggan seems to be more likely to be mayor after November.

If we had to put it to issues, say, transportation. Duggan's actions to improve it would give him more of an edge than Young II. The plans that Young II had for public transit were, more conceptual at best and unoriginal at worst.