Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default 2017-18 Detroit Pistons

The Pistons returned to Downtown Detroit after 39 years in the burbs won their home opener at LCA. Some observations...

Eminem did a rousing 'play ball' announcement. There was a glaring number of orange seats visible [empty seats]. The team played with energy vs. Charlotte, a team reinvigorated with the addition of Dwight Howard who ate up Andre Drummond in the first half. The Piston bench excelled and new guard Avery Bradley looks like the genuine item.

The big background story is that Andre Drummond [NBA record holder for most missed free throws in a game] has learned to shoot free throws. Rumor is he went back to some high school coach who set him straight. He shot 80% in the preseason [vs. his usual dreadful 40%]. Tonight he had only two free throws. He made the first, just missed the second, but a foot foul by Charlotte gave him a third attempt and he made it. So 2 for 2.

If this is for real, the Pistons are for real.

Thoughts.

It genuinely surprises me that in today's hyper-sensitive world they would pick someone with such a plethora of woman-hating/beating/killing and anti-gay lyrics in his music to open the whole show. I would think he would be radioactive. But then again, if you hate Donald Trump [[and I am not a fan), it seems that all sins are forgiven.

It will be interesting to see how the Pistons draw if the team performs as expected, hanging around .500. Will African-Americans show up in significantly greater numbers? What about those in the western/downriver burbs who couldn't be bothered making the trek to the Palace? In Toronto, the Raptors have a much younger, downtown crowd attending their games than the Leafs. Will Detroit's new residents choose Pistons or Wings games? Gores said it will take a season for fans to adopt their new home but then he's saying that to buy time so people don't constantly talk about the small crowds. The Pistons biggest problem however is lack of identity and a star - no Ben Wallace, no Grant Hill, not even a Jerry Stackhouse. The biggest crowds this season will again be to see the visiting stars come to town.

The Drummond free throw improvement is actually a very big deal. Hope it's for real. They've lost plenty of close games the past few years because of Drummond's struggles at the line.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    It genuinely surprises me that in today's hyper-sensitive world they would pick someone with such a plethora of woman-hating/beating/killing and anti-gay lyrics in his music to open the whole show. I would think he would be radioactive. But then again, if you hate Donald Trump [[and I am not a fan), it seems that all sins are forgiven.
    Eminem is an entertainer rapping about random fictional stuff. Why would an actor, singer, or entertainer be banned from any public engagement because of a movie or song? Clint Eastwood should be banned because Dirty Harry was a racist, violent suspect-beating cop?

In contrast, Trump is the President, has the planet on edge, thrives on hatred and division, and could end all humanity within minutes. If you can't see the difference between fiction and reality, you're likely a Trump cultist.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    The Drummond free throw improvement is actually a very big deal. Hope it's for real. They've lost plenty of close games the past few years because of Drummond's struggles at the line.
    Not even the missed free throws but more that he would be sitting on the bench during key periods of the game, with SVG knowing that the other team would just keep sending him to the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    In contrast, Trump is the President, has the planet on edge, thrives on hatred and division, and could end all humanity within minutes. If you can't see the difference between fiction and reality, you're likely a Trump cultist.
    To begin with, I noted in the post you responded to, as I have in the past, that I am not a Trumper. I am a conservative. I could write a book about why he isn't conservative. Second, my point was not a criticism of Eminem, per se [[although I do in fact not care for his music), but rather a criticism of the hypersensitive Left who seem for only once to not care about "offensive" words uttered by someone. I think the only reason he gets a pass is his general public disapproval of Trump, his rap of a few weeks ago in particular.

As it is, I hope the Pistons flourish at LCA, but college basketball is the real game for me. My heart, more exciting, less attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Not even the missed free throws but more that he would be sitting on the bench during key periods of the game, with SVG knowing that the other team would just keep sending him to the line.
    Absolutely. It will be a big change to be able to keep him in the game when it's tight.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the Pistons draw if the team performs as expected, hanging around .500. Will African-Americans show up in significantly greater numbers? What about those in the western/downriver burbs who couldn't be bothered making the trek to the Palace? In Toronto, the Raptors have a much younger, downtown crowd attending their games than the Leafs. Will Detroit's new residents choose Pistons or Wings games? Gores said it will take a season for fans to adopt their new home but then he's saying that to buy time so people don't constantly talk about the small crowds. The Pistons biggest problem however is lack of identity and a star - no Ben Wallace, no Grant Hill, not even a Jerry Stackhouse. The biggest crowds this season will again be to see the visiting stars come to town.
    I agree with that. It’s been a problem for the last few years, a bunch of role players and no big kahuna.

A few observations from the home opener:

1. The crowd was not impressive. Could be a combination of a bland team [[as mentioned earlier, no relatable stars), high prices [[especially for lower bowl tickets) and a Wednesday night matchup against the Hornets, but there were a ton of empty seats.

2. The upper deck design is a MESS. It is WAY too steep, meaning there is almost no leg room, and you are craning your neck to look down on the floor. Why they put the cupholders on the floor is beyond me. And sliding by people to leave your row is a great way to get to know everyone in the row, if you know what I mean. If you sit on the sideline sections in the upper deck, you either have that pointless gondola blocking almost your entire view, or you have the giant gondola looming over your head. What good is the biggest scoreboard if you have to watch replays on a 42-inch flatscreen? It's an odd feeling. I'd rather stay home than sit in those seats.

3. The arena is 98% a Wings arena. There are almost zero Pistons items in there, besides a few posters and projections. I hope they have plans to move some more stuff in there soon.

4. It was by far the most diverse crowd I've ever seen at a Pistons game, and possibly any Detroit sporting event for that matter. Really cool, and I hope the organization recognizes this.

5. The Pistons marketing and in-game presentation needs some work. It just feels cheap and inauthentic, especially now that they are actually in the city. Seems like they are more focused on all the dance teams, drumlines, trampoline guys, and performances, as opposed to getting the crowd hyped for the game. Feels more like a circus at times. Sorry, but Mason has got to go.

6. The concourse, food options, bathrooms, and entrances are all amazing. Clean, wide open, and really fan-friendly. Staff is super helpful as well.

The location is far better, but there are some flaws with the design of the arena. I think a lot of the other stuff can and will be fixed.

3. The arena is 98% a Wings arena. There are almost zero Pistons items in there, besides a few posters and projections. I hope they have plans to move some more stuff in there soon.

This is what I don't like about them sharing the arena with the Wings. The Palace was theirs, and they didn't have the Red Wings dominate everything in the arena. They were actually going to put the Winged Wheel logo on the roof, before they decided against it, and used the Little Ceasars logo instead, at the last minute. The Pistons should have equal billing, and they don't.

Ground breaking today for the Pistons' practice facility.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Ground breaking today for the Pistons' practice facility.
    Well if any team needs to practise it's these guys. Down 21 at the half to the 76ers on your home court? The most impressive thing was how loud such a tiny crowd was booing. Watching Drummond stand still and wave his arm as Embiid repeatedly blew by him was embarrassing. Pistons and Wings have both committed huge contracts to mediocre players and are going nowhere for a long time.

Huge win last night. Beat the Warriors on the road, on the second game of a back to back. The season is early, but this team has a defensive swagger we haven't seen in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Huge win last night. Beat the Warriors on the road, on the second game of a back to back. The season is early, but this team has a defensive swagger we haven't seen in a long time.
    No kidding. I was flipping between Pistons, Lions & World Series and ended up stuck on the Pistons game. Golden State was extremely sloppy with the ball but still it was impressive the Pistons forced so many turnovers with higher energy, having played the night before. Drummond's biggest weakness is his inability to stop drives to the basket but fortunately the Warriors' big men would rather shoot 3's. Pistons deserve a nice size crowd when they return home. Will they get it?

No kidding. I was flipping between Pistons, Lions & World Series and ended up stuck on the Pistons game. Golden State was extremely sloppy with the ball but still it was impressive the Pistons forced so many turnovers with higher energy, having played the night before. Drummond's biggest weakness is his inability to stop drives to the basket but fortunately the Warriors' big men would rather shoot 3's. Pistons deserve a nice size crowd when they return home. Will they get it?
    One thing about crowds in October.

I'm a big sports fan [[doubt anyone here is surprised) and as Don was saying there is a LOT of sports happening in October.

For ME, it is college FB, NFL, NBA, MLB playoffs, college MBB [[Nov.), etc. [[I'm not a NHL fan and not much MLS).

So it isn't surprising that fans have more events than time. Those who buy various partial season plans may opt to 'back load' their purchases [[more during the 2nd half of the NBA or NHL seasons).

NBA and NHL will have more of the sports world to themselves as the football seasons [[college and pro) wind down. Lions' season ends in two months. MLB season ends this week.

BTW, one of the biggest advantages MLB has is a pretty clean sports calendar during June - August. NBA and NHL playoffs end. MLS and MLB have July to themselves.
    Last edited by emu steve; October-30-17 at 09:17 AM.

I'm really getting to like this team because they are playing team ball, lots of assists, lots of defense, and a bench that is blowing away the other benches. I'm particularly impressed with newcomer Avery Bradley who plays a ferocious defense and can triple with ease. It's a long season, but this a good start.

Pistons are at the "Lonzo Ball" Lakers tonight. Would be sweet, if they complete the "Hat Trick" on this 3 game roadie. It's definitely doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Pistons are at the "Lonzo Ball" Lakers tonight. Would be sweet, if they complete the "Hat Trick" on this 3 game roadie. It's definitely doable.
    You mean it's not Caldwell-Pope's team? Will be fun watching him against Bradley tonight. May have to PVR though. Verlander going for World Series takes priority.

You mean it's not Caldwell-Pope's team? Will be fun watching him against Bradley tonight. May have to PVR though. Verlander going for World Series takes priority.
    Pistons couldn't close the deal. Lakers blew them out by 20. They looked and played like they were ready to come home, didn't play a lick of defense, that was seen in the previous games. Pitiful. Verlander pitched well, just didn't get any run support. That was Houston's chance. Dodgers will close it out tonight I believe.

Going 2-1 on a west coast trip and beating the Clippers and Warriors is a fantastic result, despite the lethargic performance last night.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Going 2-1 on a west coast trip and beating the Clippers and Warriors is a fantastic result, despite the lethargic performance last night.
    Games like last night remind us of the difference between the top teams and the rest of the league. Average teams need high energy and a good shooting night to win. They can't just turn it on down the stretch.

What??? Drummond goes 14 for 16 from the free throw line? Did I just see some pigs flying over head? And he leads the team in FT Percentage?

Folks if this keeps up we have a serious deep-in-the-playoffs team.

Not only was it great to see is FT% so high, the fact that he got to the line that many times was encouraging. I think he's avoided contact in the past because his confidence is so low. If he starts to shift how he plays in the paint, look out.

I've been watching the Pistons through this 10 year slump and they always seemed to just be going through the motion. This group looks to be having fun playing together and moving the ball around real well. It is very early in the season but if they continue to play up to their opponents then this could be a fun season to watch. The catching point will be if they play down to the teams they should already beat.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast