Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default $125 million plan would rehab commercial corridors across Detroit

Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan on Thursday announced a $125 million plan to revitalize nearly two dozen commercial corridors in neighborhoods across the city.

The plan would "beautify" 22 miles of storefronts, attract businesses and pave walkable streetscapes in 23 commercial corridors that can help recapture an estimated $2.6 billion that residents spend at businesses outside of the city, Duggan said, citing a Detroit Economic Development Corp. study to be released soon.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...across-detroit

Streetscaping is usually not only a good investment, but really improves the appearance of the area. I have seen some nice streetscaping.

That is certainly one thing the Duggan administration can do to help the neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Streetscaping is usually not only a good investment, but really improves the appearance of the area. I have seen some nice streetscaping.

That is certainly one thing the Duggan administration can do to help the neighborhoods.
    In the 70s/80s streetscaping was done and the streets died. Grand River/Greenfield - GR / Oakman - 7 / Gratiot - Chene / Mack.

Where was it a good investment?

Seems like pork at best to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    In the 70s/80s streetscaping was done and the streets died. Grand River/Greenfield - GR / Oakman - 7 / Gratiot - Chene / Mack.

Those streets were going to die anyway. Plus, turning those streets into shopping mall like atmospheres was a bad idea from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosoftFan View Post
    Those streets were going to die anyway. Plus, turning those streets into shopping mall like atmospheres was a bad idea from the start.
    Yep. Spending money in Detroit during the 80s and 90s produced little results. There was no magic wand to prevent Detroit's downward trajectory.

I see these big investments, regardless of what they are, as falling into two broad categories or phases, depending on the times:

1). Trying to stop the bleeding.

2). Trying to accelerate or turbo-charge [[I know too strong a word) growth.

Presumably, Detroit is in phase #2, with efforts to enhance the BANDWAGON EFFECT of positive growth for Detroit.

Presumably Detroit has entered the phase where money spent to strengthen neighborhoods will payoff.
    Last edited by emu steve; October-20-17 at 09:13 AM.

I'm not sure it will help now. Those areas need more than facelifts. They need viable retailers [[not more party stores and wig shops) and they are hard to come by since so many are closing stores nationwide. They also need residents with sufficient income to be able to support the stores.

In my day, there were also chain grocery stores in almost all of those locations. Grandland [[Grand River/Fenkell) had three, Kroger, A&P and one more. How many chain grocery stores are in the city as a whole now?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    How many chain grocery stores are in the city as a whole now?
    Aldi, Meijer and several various operations owned by Spartan-Nash.

I think timing matters. And so definitely does design. Done right it would help. Done badly it would not.

Besides, streetscaping is something wealthier communities do regularly. Boy do I know: I grew up in Grosse Pointe, where they take sidewalk repair to an excess. It's been quite the opposite in Detroit. But why shouldn't Detroiters get a little love for their streets too, especially in their commercial districts where it can make the most impact?

When Grosse Pointe Woods took over the streetscaping of Mack Avenue from the county [[who is legally obligated to do the work but was neglecting it) I think it was a great investment. It seemed to be a big help for businesses there. A lot of new ones opened up and it's certainly a much better shopping district today. Of course that means jobs and conveniences for local residents too.

As to Detroit's most recent proposal, I think the recent work improving E. Jefferson is a great start and would like to see it progress. Continue to do it right and it will be a good investment. Just one Detroit example. There are more that I think offer opportunity...
    Last edited by bust; October-20-17 at 11:21 AM.

Whatever happened to the plan to fix Michigan Ave. in Corktown? I seem to remember posts on here about 10 yrs. ago saying the state was scheduled to do it in 3 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'm not sure it will help now. Those areas need more than facelifts. They need viable retailers [[not more party stores and wig shops) and they are hard to come by since so many are closing stores nationwide. They also need residents with sufficient income to be able to support the stores.

In my day, there were also chain grocery stores in almost all of those locations. Grandland [[Grand River/Fenkell) had three, Kroger, A&P and one more. How many chain grocery stores are in the city as a whole now?
    The Detroit neighborhoods don't really have wig shops - that was more of a downtown thing.

Concerning viable retail, the walkable commercial corridors of Berkley, Clawson, and Ferndale are bursting at the seams with restaurants, bars, and shops.

Some commercial districts are seeing increased number of businesses such as Jefferson-Chalmers:

Norma G's Caribbean restaurant starts construction in Jefferson Chalmers

Bar Botanica is planning an inclusive 'tropical speakeasy' for Jefferson Chalmers

Detroit-based contractors sought for $17 million hotel renovation

New decor boutique promised in Jefferson Chalmers [[actually Kercheval)

A women's clothing store and a coffee shop also opened on the strip in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosoftFan View Post
    1970's era streetscaping still hangs on in the Wyoming-Curtis commercial district

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cu...7!4d-83.160174

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    1970's era streetscaping still hangs on in the Wyoming-Curtis commercial district

What was the thing with the double pink posts and strip of metal at the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What was the thing with the double pink posts and strip of metal at the top?
    I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that it's supposed to be a design element that brings cohesiveness/unity to the area, and something to consolidate lighting onto. I suppose it worked to some extent because that stretch seems to be more distinctive because of it.

I hadn't been there in years. Great to see. History is alive.

Here's my opinion, since you all asked for it.

Pave the streets nicely. Repair/replace curbs and sidewalks. Put out trash cans. Empty them regularly. Run a street sweeper.

That's the enhancements that pay. Anything beyond that like picking designer colors is not an investment, but just a way of spending money because its fun.

Get the basics right first. That's what the businesses need. Streets, sidewalks, garbage collection, cops.

[[Makes me think about those cool pulsating globes on Washington Boulevard. I kinda miss them. Spent a lot of time walking through there during the dark era.)

No need for beautification of any kind. Propping or plopping small storefront businesses onto Detroit streets while courting Amazon doesn't compute. Detroit may be the new model of retail-less cities. A readymade environment for the drone prone future?

DetroitNightLights Guest

Streetscaping in the mid-2000s saved Washington Boulevard.

Name:  Unknown-3.jpeg
Views: 800
Size:  10.4 KB

Name:  DCP_4456.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  31.5 KB
    [[Picture from Detroit Funk)

Some might argue that most of that was after they messed it up in the 1970s, from this:

Name:  2011036042.JPG
Views: 752
Size:  71.9 KB

I know it looked better at some point before this. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitNightLights View Post
    Streetscaping in the mid-2000s saved Washington Boulevard.
    The 2000's streetscaping was just a reversal of a really bad earlier streetscaping.

I guess if we've got nothing else to do with our money, why not let today's designers streetscape for tomorrow's designers to update? And the contractors love it too! And its a chance to tax our residents more too!

Get the basics right first. That's what the businesses need. Streets, sidewalks, garbage collection, cops.
    I'm not sure whether you intended to include this in your list or not, but I think careful consideration of traffic patterns -- for all important modes of transit -- is also very key. Traffic that is too fast and/or reckless should be tamed. People should feel comfortable walking. Pedestrians should be safe. Signage and traffic controls should be clear and work efficiently. Bike lanes are a definite nice to have where there is ample room for them like on E. Jefferson and Michigan. I agree colors don't matter much. In fact I'd rather they be unobtrusive than call attention to themselves, except as needed. The importance of streetlights is to provide light. I'd rather twice the light from two simple ones hung in optimal locations than half as much from some gaudy collection of globes or faux historical lanterns placed too far from the center of the street in favor of their design.

But that said I really do love trees. I think they are a also great part of any good streepscaping project when money provides.

...Since you all asked for my opinion too.
    Last edited by bust; October-22-17 at 03:32 PM.

DetroitNightLights Guest

In this era of the 1970s, they believed they could bring Detroit back by making its retail corridors more like shopping malls. At the time suburban shopping places like the originally open air Wonderland Mall were coming online with the great idea to enclose the public walkways. In Detroit, they would try to cover and theme the sidewalks of many shopping districts. This is probably what is going on here and in the pics from Washington Boulevard. Wasn't Woodward even made pedestrian only for awhile. I think Washington looked even better during the city beautiful movement.

I'm not happy we have to go and fix this stuff by moving it back to what it was. But, I understand what the city went through and that it needs to be fixed now.

The Mayor is right on about this.

Honestly I think now Washington Boulevard has boring sidewalks and useless grass and trees in the median. The old design might have been goofy but at least it created useful public space. You can imagine something similar today with performance spaces and food trucks and fountains and stuff. The current design does provide a lot of street parking though.

DetroitNightLights Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Honestly I think now Washington Boulevard has boring sidewalks and useless grass and trees in the median. The old design might have been goofy but at least it created useful public space. You can imagine something similar today with performance spaces and food trucks and fountains and stuff. The current design does provide a lot of street parking though.
    We weren't thinking that advanced yet when we redid that one. I like how they made the one on Woodward south of Campus Maritus into a park. What do they call it? The Woodward Promenade? The far part of Cadillac Square is nice too.

DetroitNightLights Guest

You guys know that a big problem with the good neighborhoods was that they were hiding behind crumpy commercial corridors. My husband [[)was a lot more involved with these forums than me, he used to compare Old Rosdale Gardens in Livonia to Old Corktown. The commercial streets in Livonia use security vehicles that go up and down the street, and make it feel safe at night and off times. Otherwise they are nicely kept up. Doesn't it sound like Mayor Duggan is doing that with these corridors?

Wasn't Woodward even made pedestrian only for awhile.
    Actually, it was made open only to buses and pedestrians for several years, but by around 1991 it reopened to all traffic.

In this era of the 1970s, they believed they could bring Detroit back by making its retail corridors more like shopping malls. At the time suburban shopping places like the originally open air Wonderland Mall were coming online with the great idea to enclose the public walkways. In Detroit, they would try to cover and theme the sidewalks of many shopping districts. This is probably what is going on here and in the pics from Washington Boulevard. Wasn't Woodward even made pedestrian only for awhile. I think Washington looked even better during the city beautiful movement.

I'm not happy we have to go and fix this stuff by moving it back to what it was. But, I understand what the city went through and that it needs to be fixed now.

The Mayor is right on about this.
    The attempt of the commercial corridors in Detroit to try to compete with the malls can be seen in the below Streetview of the Grand River and Oakman commercial district.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3734...7i13312!8i6656

The main purpose of those canopies over the sidewalks was probably to provide protection from precipitation, which was an significant advantage of the malls.

I don't think you're looking bigger picture. The corridors are ones that that have already targeted through other city initiatives like Motor City Match. So streets that a heavy concentrations of MCM winners and are starting to revive themselves like Livernois, Kercheval, etc are now being followed up with streetscape improvements. These corridors also abut areas like Fitzgerald that are part the 20 minute neighborhoods initiative.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...s%209-3-17.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast