Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "The End Is Near" [[Not For 2712 Cass - "Dilapidated House")

My friends have been joking about the 'end times' - there was a solar eclipse last August, the Big Island volcano is blowing, and D.C. area is in the middle of about 10 days of rain...

Don't know if any of that are signs of the end times.

I have NO idea when the end times for that 'dilapidated house' will be and what will happen to it and presumably after it is gone. I don't expect the owners to spend 100 - 200K and turn it into the Zads Majal.

However, I will not be on this forum when the resolution is reached.

I have informed Lowell via email that I will be deactivating my user account after almost 10 years here.

In the 10 years I have been on the forum the close in areas, e.g., downtown, Midtown, and New Center have shown really strong growth. Corktown is next.

Other than Belle Isle, Detroit, TO ME, are these areas and also Michigan Ave. from Dearborn to downtown. I may never see CAY airport in my lifetime. Eastsider I never was.

When I was at Wayne, my last two years, my apartment had a murphy bed, was hotter than hell during summer, and is now WSU green space. Good move Wayne. Not all structures are worth saving. Some as POS. That building was a POS.

I was sad to see the Hudsons building go [[I got my engagement and wedding rings there), but as hard as it might be for some to phantom, what is coming is better than what was there... Sometimes good can come from what folks think is really bad.

Later I moved to the Leland House and hopefully that returns to be a high quality residential building.

I take each building as it is and unless it is designated as 'historic' it is up the owner and city to determine its fate. Folks, like here, can have their opinions, but it isn't their money and no one elected them to exercise governance over land and land usage in the city. And some posters here don't even live in Detroit. They literally not even stakeholders, nor am I [[left Detroit decades ago and have no say in its governance.) [[BTW, I served several terms on a HOA board and we had governance over our townhouse community, almost 250 homes.).

Some buildings should be saved [[like many of the buildings along Temple near Cass). Others, like 2712 Cass should bite the dust and let the LCA 'super block' be completed. It is architecturally interesting I guess for some UDM arch. students, but quite frankly it is an eye sore and in the way.

That is my view. Unless some one can convince me that buildings [[consecrated buildings are exceptions) have souls, like people, and have to their existence, PEOPLE will determine the fate of buildings. People here usually means the property owner and the city which is empowered by the people to act on their behalf...

Banks, buildings, cows, cars, etc. exist to be part of human's existence be it food, housing, commerce, transportation, entertainment, etc.

I'll continue to follow Detroit in the papers.

In the meantime, my home town, D.C. area, is on a great roll. We are apparently finalists for both HQ2 and Apple. 2018 should be an interesting year here [[and now counting the drama happening in D.C. with the President and the Special Counsel).

Go Tigers. Go Lions. Get a MLS team [[better now than 10 years for now). I'll be anxious to see the new Hudson's building in the years ahead. And when I'm in town next month I'll stop in and get a couple White Castle hamburgers. Haven't had one in decades.

P.S. Detroit has a great mayor. Most folks don't realize how much bad can come from a bad mayor and good from a good mayor. It is all about trust and everyone seems to trust him...
    Last edited by emu steve; May-18-18 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Some should be saved [[like many of the buildings along Temple near Cass). Others, like 2712 Cass should bite the dust and let the LCA 'super block' be completed. It is architecturally interesting I guess for some UDM arch. students, but quite frankly it is an eye sore and in the way.

That is my view. Unless some one can convince me that buildings [[consecrated buildings are exceptions) have souls, like people, and have to their existence, PEOPLE will determine the fate of buildings. People here usually means the property owner and the city which is empowered by the people to act on their behalf...

Banks, buildings, cows, cars, etc. exist to be part of human's existence be it food, housing, commerce, transportation, entertainment, etc.
    You will be missed for sure! You have kept this forum fresh, as there are far fewer people posting than there were 10 years ago.

You have introduced many interesting thoughts and perspectives to the discussions we have here. I liked your comparisons of Detroit with D.C. to remind us how far behind this region is.

Your ardent support of the Ilitch family is baffling.

Concerning the old buildings: IMO, D.C. has grown because of the expansion of the federal government, the rapid transit system & its fine collection of universities in the area. But also one of the biggest reasons for its growth is it amazing architecture - residential and institutional. D.C. without its dense built form would not have attracted the millennial population and the mega investment it has.

Detroit is already unappealing because it is [[1) in flyover country, [[2) a cold weather place and is [[3) flat terrain. Without its older architecture/built form, Detroit is about as appealing as Flint, Michigan.

Oh man. Who’s now going to make reference to “SammyS” City Modern?
    I’d suggest you take a weekend off to reconsider. Always important to have opposing views around here.

MasterBlaster,

I have lived in the D.C. area for almost 40 years.

I have worked in the 'old' downtown for 3 1/2 years and near the White House for most of 25 years.

I like to [[modestly) think I have an appreciation for development, historic preservation [[even though it isn't a particular interest of mine), etc.

I LOVE the architecture of D.C. Be it Georgetown, the tudor house of Foxhall, the 'glass boxes' along K Street and other streets. And, of course, Old Town Alexandria. Not to mention what has been done and is being done along the Potomac and Anacostia.

I might have mentioned this before. I worked in an agency with a lot of buildings in D.C. I used to walk, rather than subway, between buildings. I loved to walk along K. street east of 14th street toward 9th and marvel at the new buildings go up REPLACING parking lots.

Previously I worked in the 'old downtown' around 6th and E N.W. It was old when I worked there. It is beautiful today.

I love to see things built, esp. infrastructure. Be it an arena or stadium, a subway stop, a renovated airport [[e.g., Reagan), bridges, resurfaced highways, etc. and yes a renovated government office building.

As I've mentioned before, I like the QLine. It looks good, the roadway was milled and paved, etc.
    Last edited by emu steve; May-18-18 at 10:44 AM.

BTW, if anyone doubts my 'boosterism' about Detroit. It was probably 2007 when we had an InfoSec conference and I suggested to the person responsible for putting it on that they consider Detroit.

Their reaction was: [[guess they didn't know about the + PR from the 2006 Super Bowl).

Never meant to force you out of the forum EMU Steve.

I was and am continually baffled by your support and very recent hypocrisy of the Ilitch family and Olympia Development.

My apologies if my tone was that of which made you leave. I truly believe in the diversity of this forum and your contributions have been great [[outside of Ilitch). Although we disagree on that topic, I've found myself intrigued by other topics and ideas that you've raised.

Maybe you'll come back one day. I wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Never meant to force you out of the forum EMU Steve.

I was and am continually baffled by your support and very recent hypocrisy of the Ilitch family and Olympia Development.

My apologies if my tone was that of which made you leave. I truly believe in the diversity of this forum and your contributions have been great [[outside of Ilitch). Although we disagree on that topic, I've found myself intrigued by other topics and ideas that you've raised.

Maybe you'll come back one day. I wish you well.
    It is my plan to leave after this weekend and then re-consider around September 1.

My record for a forum is 14 years and running on an EMU sports forum. We are all 'single issue' [[love of EMU sports) and have very, very few problems.

And when a few something get rowdy I get them back in line... [[I play conciliator on that forum, unlike on this one).

Best of luck with your endeavors. I hope you return time permitting.
    I enjoy the broad base of opinions, [[even when I disagree with them, ) expressed on this forum, with the common tie being the D.
    I haven't lived in the since 1985 and only rarely venture into the area as most of the places from my younger years has been torn down. But my mind needs a nudge every now and then of what was and what is replacing it.

I always view a building as an "expression" of the architects view of man and it's use by inhabitants a "story" told. Yes sometimes the "expression" is bizarre or the "story" is small or is a common tale exhibited in other remaining buildings but the one thing that can't be recreated once a building is gone is the atmosphere of the times and the blood sweat and tears that went into making the building Real.

Tom Waits song Falling Down is playing....
    "We're all falling down here on the ground."

I have enjoyed reading your posts.
    You've put so much thought and passion into them
    though - if you are at a place where those qualities
    need to be redirected best of luck in everything
    you do!

Go. Stay. Whatever.

Personally, I have enjoyed your posts over the years and agree with you that the Ilitches are unfairly vilified.

However, I don't understand [[nor need I) your "burning bridges" approach. Why notify Lowell you're off the forum? Just stop posting if you wish, and lurk if you feel like it, but keep those options open.

I think you'll be back. And hope you will.
    Except for your incessant boosterism of everything Ilitch I've enjoyed your contributions.
    You seem like a very good guy.
    Meanwhile, of all the theories posited to explain the indefensible illogic of your blind devotion to a certain family, only archfan's makes sense.
    I wish you well, in any case.
    Vaya con felicidad.
    Last edited by bust; May-19-18 at 06:23 PM.

Be well, Steve. Hope to see you back.

13. Default

All the best Steve. As I have communicated to you off-forum I hope you return. Many have taken breaks and returned, sometimes after a hiatus of several years. Hopefully you will and much sooner.

Steve, I didn't always agree with your posts, but was always respectful of your opinions. Good luck to you... and I hope you post again. The future of Detroit is looking brighter.... so that is too intoxicating to stay away for good!

As a EMU grad, I hope you stay. Best wishes and thank you for your posts.