Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Detroit to ditch Columbus Day for Indigenous Peoples Day

DETROIT - Michigan's biggest city is following the lead of several others by replacing Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day.

Detroit City Council unanimously approved the proposal on Tuesday, Oct. 10, following in the footsteps of Michigan cities like Ann Arbor, East Lansing and Ypsilanti, among others.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/article...lumbus_day.amp

All for it. If you missed it along the way, give the book "1491" a read. Tells the true story of man's history in North & South America.

Here's one for Richard....http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41567391

He might not sleep tonight when he finds out those Vikings that landed in Greenland before Columbus may have been Muslims.

Makes sense to me. The ancestors of our indigenous people were the first to "discover" America, the first to settle on the shores of the Straits of Detroit and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    All for it. If you missed it along the way, give the book "1491" a read. Tells the true story of man's history in North & South America.
    Agreed, that is a fantastic book.

As to the day, fine with me. And if Michigan and Detroit want to honor European explorers, it should really be a "voyageurs day" anyway.

I was recently in Lisbon, and went to the Maritime Musuem. While the museum naturally focuses on Portugal's history of exploration, they no longer refer to having "discovered" lands since people were already there. They now refer to when the explorers first arrived. I found it quite refreshing that they were able to take a less Euro-biased approach to their history. Saying that Columbus or any European "discovered" lands where people were living is a means to subtly dehumanize the indigenous people, and elevate the status of Europeans.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; October-13-17 at 10:59 AM.

Columbus never even set foot on what would later become the United States of America. He "discovered" modern day Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Besides, the Vikings set foot on North America centuries before Columbus reached Hispaniola.

The only reason that we celebrate Columbus Day at all is because the Knights of Columbus and prominent Italian-American individuals and organizations in the early 20th century wanted their own version of St. Patrick's Day to honor Italian culture and heritage. And they lobbied Congress to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    The only reason that we celebrate Columbus Day at all is because the Knights of Columbus and prominent Italian-American individuals and organizations in the early 20th century wanted their own version of St. Patrick's Day to honor Italian culture and heritage. And they lobbied Congress to get it.
    If this is true then when is there so much uproar from the left about Columbus Day? It is because the left is prejudiced against Italians?

This whole issue is utter nonsense. Just create another holiday to celebrate the Indians and their culture and leave the day honoring Italian culture alone.

Too many people these days aren't happy unless they're offended or outraged about something. Offense is big business these days. Oy! Such foolishness!

Oh no! Yes, that consideration does seem to surface! Everyone is at each others throats now. A perfect flux for the bigger/ broader take over.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    .... It is because the left is prejudiced against Italians?

I am just going to say Happy Leif Ericcson Day!!!

If this is true then when is there so much uproar from the left about Columbus Day? It is because the left is prejudiced against Italians?

This whole issue is utter nonsense. Just create another holiday to celebrate the Indians and their culture and leave the day honoring Italian culture alone.

Too many people these days aren't happy unless they're offended or outraged about something. Offense is big business these days. Oy! Such foolishness!
    Or create a day to celebrate Italian heritage and not celebrate someone who helped destroy indigenous American civilizations.

Columbus never even set foot on what would later become the United States of America. He "discovered" modern day Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Besides, the Vikings set foot on North America centuries before Columbus reached Hispaniola.
    Well, Columbus did visit Puerto Rico, so he did visit at least one place that would eventually become the United States of America. But correct, he never set foot on the North American mainland. Nor did he ever realize that he was not in Asia...

If somebody wanted to celebrate a Benito Mussolini Day, and I objected to that idea, would I be prejudiced against Italians?

Actually I shouldn't assume that you and the other Righties here would be opposed to a Benito Mussolini Day, you might actually support that idea.

. The biggest group with conjured up offense are the folks who have imagined a "war on Christmas." It's getting to be that time of year for everyone at Fox News to get their panties in a twist over that. I see that Drumpf was stirring that pot today.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; October-13-17 at 01:54 PM.

If somebody wanted to celebrate a Benito Mussolini Day, and I objected to that idea, would I be prejudiced against Italians?

Actually I shouldn't assume that you and the other Righties here would be opposed to a Benito Mussolini Day, you might actually support that idea.
    You're so cute with your "grievance du jour". You yourself said that Columbus never set foot on what would become the U.S.A. What do you have against him anyway?

Columbus' voyage was 525 years ago. Get over it. This latest "outrage" is a manufactured resentment and too many people are going along with it because in their shallow lives they need to be a part of the latest fad or they feel left out.

And you're also following the SJW textbook to the letter by suggesting that anyone with a different opinion that yours is a fascist, Nazi, or whatever the buzzword of the day is. It is so predictable and very cliche'.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; October-13-17 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    . The biggest group with conjured up offense are the folks who have imagined a "war on Christmas." It's getting to be that time of year for everyone at Fox News to get their panties in a twist over that. I see that Drumpf was stirring that pot today.
    War on Christmas? Nonsense! I do not celebrate Christmas and I am not the least bit offended when someone says Merry Christmas to me even though I celebrate Chanukah. I take it as that person giving me well wishes. Likewise, I frequently say Merry Christmas to my Christian friends and associates.

I do not take offence to seeing Christmas decorations in stores, schools, offices or people's homes. Different people may celebrate holidays of their choosing. Just like Columbus Day should not be erased.

There should be an Ingenuous and a Disingenuous day.

You're so cute with your "grievance du jour". You yourself said that Columbus never set foot on what would become the U.S.A. What do you have against him anyway?
    Because he was a monster and a tyrant and a mass murderer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...ons_of_tyranny

Columbus once punished a man found guilty of stealing corn by having his ears and nose cut off and then selling him into slavery. Testimony recorded in the report stated that Columbus congratulated his brother Bartolomeo on "defending the family" when the latter ordered a woman paraded naked through the streets and then had her tongue cut out for suggesting that Columbus was of lowly birth.[84] The document also describes how Columbus put down native unrest and revolt; he first ordered a brutal crackdown in which many natives were killed and then paraded their dismembered bodies through the streets in an attempt to discourage further rebellion.[85] "Columbus's government was characterised by a form of tyranny," Consuelo Varela, a Spanish historian who has seen the document, told journalists.[84] "Even those who loved him had to admit the atrocities that had taken place."[
    Sadly, this is probably why you admire him though. Maybe we should have a Hitler Day too, or are you racist against Germans? Again, I shouldn't joke about that, you probably would be fine with celebrating Hitler.

War on Christmas? Nonsense! I do not celebrate Christmas and I am not the least bit offended when someone says Merry Christmas to me even though I celebrate Chanukah. I take it as that person giving me well wishes. Likewise, I frequently say Merry Christmas to my Christian friends and associates.

I do not take offence to seeing Christmas decorations in stores, schools, offices or people's homes. Different people may celebrate holidays of their choosing. Just like Columbus Day should not be erased.
    Just curious, how do you celebrate Columbus Day? Why is it important to you? Other than a longstanding tradition whose rightful demise you take offense to. Do any of us actually "celebrate" this day, except for when we need a discounted mattress? What positive benefit do we as a nation get when we celebrate Columbus Day?

A National Indigenous People's Day, would actually be worthwhile to have and why not have it on the day their history would change forever? Learn more about native culture, history, and their contributions something schools aren't teaching as well as they should. We learn Sacajawea and Pocahontas, maybe Sitting Bull.

Where's Jim Thorpe? Charles Curtis? Navajo Codetalkers? Geronimo? [[We know that name but not his history)
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; October-13-17 at 03:54 PM.

Because he was a monster and a tyrant and a mass murderer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...ons_of_tyranny

Sadly, this is probably why you admire him though. Maybe we should have a Hitler Day too, or are you racist against Germans? Again, I shouldn't joke about that, you probably would be fine with celebrating Hitler.
    You want to offer Wikipedia as proof of something? That is just lazy pseudo-intellectualism. And even that Wikipedia article said that accusations were made against Columbus. Accusations.

And again you resort to childishly attempting to connect me with Hitler. Imagine that, me, a Jewish man whose grandparents were murdered by Hitler celebrating him. Such foolishness!

I do not hate the German people because of what Hitler did. And there is concrete proof of his atrocities, not just Wikipedia articles. I do not go around advocating for abolishing Oktoberfest celebrations because of Hitler.

Columbus was here 525 years ago. Get over it. You're just latching onto the latest made-up controversy of the week in order to feel like you're doing something. S.O.P for SJWs.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Just curious, how do you celebrate Columbus Day? Why is it important to you? Other than a longstanding tradition whose rightful demise you take offense to. Do any of us actually "celebrate" this day, except for when we need a discounted mattress? What positive benefit do we as a nation get when we celebrate Columbus Day?
    I do not celebrate Columbus Day. Nor do I celebrate St Patrick's Day, Easter, Halloween, Labor Day or Christmas. I also don't feel that they should be abolished just because I do not celebrate them.

But thanks for asking.

Foolishness like this is one of the reasons that President Trump was elected. People are tired of "feelings over facts", PC run amuck and manufactured offence by the SJWs of the left.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; October-13-17 at 04:05 PM.

I do not celebrate Columbus Day. Nor do I celebrate St Patrick's Day, Easter, Halloween, Labor Day or Christmas. I also don't feel that they should be abolished just because I do not celebrate them.

But thanks for asking.

Foolishness like this is one of the reasons that President Trump was elected. People are tired of "feelings over facts", PC run amuck and manufactured offence by the SJWs of the left.
    If you don't celebrate it then why do you care? We can celebrate Italian-American heritage without celebrating Columbus. But I do agree that this is why Trump has been elected. He is very good at spinning things like this into dog whistle issues by claiming they are attacks on "culture" and "values," even when it is not. Demagogues are always good at manipulating nationalistic tendencies.

But just because this is what his supporters thrive on doesn't mean we should stray away from having these conversations.

So do you agree that the so-called "War on Christmas" does not exist, and was simply made up by conservative politicians, conservative media, and conservative individuals with thin skins and who wallow in their perceived slights? How can anybody but a snowflake be offended by "happy holidays"? I'm actually thinking of wishing people a "Pleasant Pagan Winter Solstice."
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; October-13-17 at 04:28 PM.

You might be surprised to learn there are plenty of people of Italian descent, myself included, who would much rather celebrate Italian culture than one equally accomplished and despicable man who happens to have been Italian. And it doesn't even have to be a holiday. What other ethnic group has a national holiday? How about just a parade?

The ones throwing tantrums are those who refuse face the reality of our history. And for that matter the reality of science. The reality of economics. The reality of international relations... Reality in general. And yes, Trump tapped into their anguish as they fade into passing in order to get elected.

I hope I'm not being too optimistic about that fading into passing bit, but I don't think so.
    Last edited by bust; October-13-17 at 04:37 PM.

But thanks for asking.

You are so funny.

Hitler and his ten goons ran amok and dispatched 6 million jews. I ain't Jewish and I don't hate Germans but I sure don't put the burden of history on one guy, there must have been a whole lot of Germans fighting that war unless I'm dreaming.

So what is Spain going to do now? They celebrate Columbus Day.

If you did not know if something exists and you find it what did you do?

To Spain it was a discovery,to the ones being discovered it was an invasion.

It is a good thing Americans never killed Indians,is there a general Custer statue in Monroe Michigan,why have a statue to celebrate the killing of the Indians,they did not bow to our demands so we waged war on them,any similarities there?

Nobody really cares about the Indian population on a day to day basis but want one day to make themselves feel better?
    Last edited by Richard; October-13-17 at 06:03 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast