Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Joe Louis Site Redevelopment

We already knew that plans for redevelopment were in the works for some kind of high-rise, but the obvious concerns are coming out of the planning effort.. This area is a dead-zone. I am very disappointed that nowhere in the article was the possibility of realigning roads mentioned. I believe the infrastructure in this area is an obvious detriment to getting the most out of this development. We need to look more broadly are re-planning this area and taking out unnecessary roads and creating new connections.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ena/106545242/

Sounds like a mini-Hudson Yards kind of development.

This was a poorly written article. They spent the first half discussing what a great site, primed for redevelopment, it is and the second half discussing what a lousy site it is. They could have at least started the article by stating that opinions vary widely about the site's suitability.

I was going to recommend what I've always recommended for this site [[noticed somebody else in the comments on the article mentioned it..) A WORLD CLASS AQUARIUM. Something like the Shedd in Chicago, but uniquely Detroit.

I think it's a perfect chance to realign roads around there because it's such a weird location. If they are able to realign roads to make it more accessible, it would be great for a high-rise or heck, the aquarium idea sounds pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    I think it's a perfect chance to realign roads around there because it's such a weird location. If they are able to realign roads to make it more accessible, it would be great for a high-rise or heck, the aquarium idea sounds pretty good.
    What would you realign the roads too? The huge Joe parking deck, Cobo hall, the riverfront towers and the Lodge freeway aren't going anywhere. you would need to modify at least three to move either W. Jefferson or Yzerman drive. The biggest issue being the Lodge freeway and its ramps.

Those roads will forever be landlocked by Cobo, the Parking deck and the Lodge Freeway. They even removed access to Yzerman drive from the front of Cobo after the last Cobo renovation.

I am no expert on road alignment or transportation infrastructure, but clearly the biggest obstacle to that site being a stupendous one is the bunker-like sense one gets with fences and tunnels and confusing roads and parking. It is seemingly isolated from downtown, and very daunting to pedestrians. I am certain that there is a way to alleviate that [[not claiming to have the exact plan myself). I bet that improvements of some kind will come along with development. It needs to be both actually more accessible [[for vehicles and pedestrians) and visually more a part of downtown. I can't wait to see renderings.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I am no expert on road alignment or transportation infrastructure, but clearly the biggest obstacle to that site being a stupendous one is the bunker-like sense one gets with fences and tunnels and confusing roads and parking. It is seemingly isolated from downtown, and very daunting to pedestrians. I am certain that there is a way to alleviate that [[not claiming to have the exact plan myself). I bet that improvements of some kind will come along with development. It needs to be both actually more accessible [[for vehicles and pedestrians) and visually more a part of downtown. I can't wait to see renderings.
    I have an idea. I too am no scholar in infrastructure realignment. That being said, to me the best option is to have the Lodge end at the Larned exit instead of Jefferson. Remove the Lodge after Larned and continue Jefferson as a surface street coming out the other side of COBO.
    Divert pedestrian traffic to the River Walk [[it can be uncomfortable walking in a dark tunnel.)
    Last edited by UrbanViews; October-12-17 at 02:53 PM.

I'm not an expert either, nor do I claim to be but extending 3rd and 2nd to Jefferson would be a start. Heck, burying the Lodge would be so much better and create more walkable space on the other side of Cobo. Of course, all of this is very expensive and to me, a pipe dream, but at least I can dream right?

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 4.12.07 PM.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  105.7 KB

I believe the solution for the roads should include the following:

- Reconstruction of the Lodge to be further below-grade
    - Demolish ramp from the Lodge directly to the Joe Louis parking deck
    - Extend 3rd Street to Steve Yzerman Dr
    - Remove Sixth Street fly-over to the Riverfront Apartments and rebuild to intersect with Jefferson
    - Road diet Jefferson to three-lane road from Rosa Parks to Steve Yzerman Drive/Third Street
    - Remove Cabacier Street
    - Extend Brooklyn Street to Jefferson
    - Extend 5th Street to Jefferson

Another not an expert opinion. But why does Detroit have expressways zooming all the way into the heart of its central business district in the first place? I agree 375 should be filled in. I agree the Lodge should end at Larned or at least be buried. They serve as impenetrable pedestrian barriers that break apart Detroit's already small downtown. And they make the traffic on Jefferson intolerable, discouraging pedestrian access to the natural amenity of the waterfront.

I'm happy so many other cities have realized they should prioritize pedestrians over cars. I hope Detroit learns that lesson too.
    Last edited by bust; October-12-17 at 03:59 PM.

My thoughts for that area are hard to describe without making a 3d model which I'm too lazy to do but:

The way that 3rd avenue slopes, it's possible to pedestrianize 3rd street south of Fort, while still having enough height to continue 3rd [[as a wide pedestrian crossing) south over the freeway.

Once over the freeway this pedestrianized 3rd street would form an elevated plaza around the People Mover station. The PM station would be rebuilt. South of the PM station the plaza would lower down to ground level, integrating with the riverwalk.

Such an arrangement would solve several problems. The elevated plaza would be an enjoyable pedestrian friendly space that's integrated with both downtown and the river, solving the main problems with the sites. The plaza would provide access to the joe site, the parking lot site, and the joe garage sites. It would increase the usefuless of the PM station. Building the elevated plaza would cost money, but less than reconfiguring the freeway, and it would dramatically increase the value of those sites.

It would basically be like a small, intimately scaled version of La Defense in Paris.

I’ll make some Microsoft Paint mockups later with Google Maps. Basic tools are sometimes the best

Improved pedestrian and bicycle accessibility should take priority over road re-alignment. That area is terrible for pedestrians at the moment, minus the riverwalk.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    I believe the solution for the roads should include the following:

- Reconstruction of the Lodge to be further below-grade
    - Demolish ramp from the Lodge directly to the Joe Louis parking deck
    - Extend 3rd Street to Steve Yzerman Dr
    - Remove Sixth Street fly-over to the Riverfront Apartments and rebuild to intersect with Jefferson
    - Road diet Jefferson to three-lane road from Rosa Parks to Steve Yzerman Drive/Third Street
    - Remove Cabacier Street
    - Extend Brooklyn Street to Jefferson
    - Extend 5th Street to Jefferson
    That is an unbelievably good plan!