Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Guess the 2020 Census

Predict the following-

• Detroit’s Population in 2020
    • Racial % breakdown
    • Which neighborhoods will be experiencing growth, which ones will decline
    • General predictions about the city and metro area as a whole’s future

Interested to see what you all [[y’all for our southern friends) have to say...

Detroit's population - 575,000

Racial Breakdown - 78% Black, 14% white, 3% Hispanic, 4% two or more races, 1% Native American / Hawaiian

Neighborhoods experiencing growth - Some downtown / midtown census tract. Many downtown / midtown census tracs will continue to show a decline. The rest of the city will show a net decline

General Predictions about the city and metro area as a whole's future -

Michigan will continue to slowly bleed young and educated millennials, while the population continues to steadily age and become increasingly poorer as a whole [[as the region becomes one huge empty nest for auto industry retirees). Infrastructure overall will be in worse shape than in 2010. An auto industry downturn will probably be in full force by that time, so I would suspect the unemployment rate will be higher across the Metro area as well. There will no meaningful progress in improving mass transit from where we stand. Construction on the Gordie Howe Bridge should begin ramping up. The population will slowly rise back to 4.3 million, still below its 2000 peak.

EDIT: Now if Detroit lands Amazon HQ2, I may have to adjust my predictions.

Census report details are confidential for 72 years; only generated statistics are shared. So most folks never get to actually see their names on a census reports. I'm lucky, I can see mine in the 1940 census report! Pop, mom, me, and my Aunt Gretel, who was living with us then in Grand Rapids.

77% black, 16% white, 3% hispanic, 4% other
    Downtown, midtown, north end, new center, east riverfront, Gold Coast, corktown, West Village, Woodbridge, Mexicantown, Lafayette Park, Eastern Market.
    --highly positive for city and whatever suburbs get connected by transit or benefit of good location. highly negative for bedroom, non-transit suburbs.

3% Hispanic?? More like 10%.