Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Angelina Italian Bistro Closing Dec. 10

Sorry to see this, really liked this spot. I think it's very tough to make it in the mid price range for a nice full service restaurant, which is why there are so few of them around. I also think people complain way too much about parking and prices in Detroit but I can see how being located near the stadiums can be a curse if you're trying to attract customers not attending events. Hopefully something other than another sports/burger joint replaces it.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Hopefully something other than another sports/burger joint replaces it.
    I agree with this sentiment, but I have some bad news: the economics of restaurants and the rapid increase in downtown rents means that fewer unique places will dot downtown. Chains and places that cater specifically to sports crowds, business lunchers & yuppies [[or whatever the hipster version of yuppies populating downtown these days are called) will dominate. But all is not lost: Detroit has growing potential unique opportunities in the neighborhoods at the fringe of downtown/midtown. The "push" of development outwards will carry with it great places to eat and drink. Working in one now, I am working on potentially another [[lease not yet signed). Note to those interested in opening their own: LONG-TERM LEASES OR NO LEASE AT ALL! You will be heartbroken and out of business when the lease renewal comes up. That's the downside of a resurgent city. Better than the days of old, though. The problems of growth are far better than the problems of decay.

One and only experience: bad waitress led to a bad vibe about food and quality. Cashed out before even ordering. No loss in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Sorry to see this, really liked this spot. I think it's very tough to make it in the mid price range for a nice full service restaurant, which is why there are so few of them around. ...
    If I were planning to open a mid price restaurant, I'd start by looking at the Avenue of Fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I agree with this sentiment, but I have some bad news: the economics of restaurants and the rapid increase in downtown rents means that fewer unique places will dot downtown.
    Vibrant big cities, like much of your Brooklyn, change when economics improves. I'm not sure that I'd say 'unique' places will suffer. But 'inefficient' will. A sit-down that wants to keep reasonable prices and leisurely meals won't work. Other ideas will work. But what they'll have in common is that they will be higher-volume. Every inch of space will somehow be used to make money.

You may or may not like the change. But people will continue to eat.

Chains and places that cater specifically to sports crowds, business lunchers & yuppies [[or whatever the hipster version of yuppies populating downtown these days are called) will dominate.
    Yep.
    But all is not lost: Detroit has growing potential unique opportunities in the neighborhoods at the fringe of downtown/midtown. The "push" of development outwards will carry with it great places to eat and drink. Working in one now, I am working on potentially another [[lease not yet signed).
    This is the start of the redevelopment of the neighborhoods!

...The problems of growth are far better than the problems of decay.[/QUOTE]
    Yep.