Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    Ty for the context.

It may or may not, in your mind be voter suppression.

I have to tell you that would never be tolerated in Canada or any other developed world nation I can think of.

First, we enumerate, we don't register.

That means the government finds you, and registers you to vote; if they miss you for some reason, then you can initiate the process yourself.

This is done w/o ever talking to you by using databases like Health Cards, Driver's licenses and tax returns.

However, the government captures most people [[96%) and sends you a voting card in the mail, which you bring to your polling station on voting day.

This is what a voting card looks like:

https://www.elections.ca/res/glo/ima...arge_e_new.jpg

If for some reason you didn't not get a card, we do not require you to fill out forms in triplicate to vote.

Instead, you have three options:

Option 1: Show one of these pieces of ID

• your driver's licence
    • any other card issued by a Canadian government [[federal, provincial/territorial or local) with your photo, name and current address

Option 2: Show two pieces of ID

Both must have your name and at least one must have your current address.

Examples:

• voter information card and bank statement
    • utility bill and student ID card

Option 3: No ID

You can still vote if you declare your identity and address in writing and have someone who knows you and who is assigned to your polling station vouch for you.
    The voucher must be able to prove their identity and address. A person can vouch for only one person [[except in long-term care institutions).

None of these processes would ever take over 15m; and line ups rarely exceed same.

This 3-hour lineup business is nuts! No matter who you support within a party, or which party etc.
    Not all states have same day voter registrations and there are pros and cons.

I guess that is what makes America special though,because we do not try to be like every other country in the world.

Used to be people would walk for miles in order to place their vote,they fought hard to be able to,many other countries people will also wait in line.

Waiting in line 3 hours to vote and complaining about it is making it about the individual and not the process they are involved in.

People will camp out overnight for Black Friday but complain about waiting in line for their right to vote?

Hell I waited in line for 4 hours for fresh lobster in the military,if ones major concern is about the length of the lines in which to cast their vote,then they are there for the wrong reasons.

https://ballotpedia.org/Same-day_voter_registration

Women and African Americans fought for over 50 years for the right to vote,Personally I think it is disrespectful to look at a voting line and say,line is to long I am not voting.

It should not matter if the line was a mile long.
    Last edited by Richard; March-17-20 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

I guess that is what makes America special though,because we do not try to be like every other country in the world.
    What makes America special, in your judgement is that you can't run an election properly, like every other developed nation on earth? Really?

Sigh.

This will shock you, but some Americans actually have jobs; some have young children that need to be attended to, some have health reasons they can't stand for three hours.

Stop whining, that people shouldn't complain about mediocrity and incompetence. They certainly should; things never get better due to apathy.

What makes America special, in your judgement is that you can't run an election properly, like every other developed nation on earth? Really?

Sigh.

This will shock you, but some Americans actually have jobs; some have young children that need to be attended to, some have health reasons they can't stand for three hours.

Stop whining, that people shouldn't complain about mediocrity and incompetence. They certainly should; things never get better due to apathy.
    You guy do not even have a National school lunch program like every other devolved nation on earth and even some undeveloped nations.

I guess no country is perfect in everybody’s eyes.

You do realize that in spite of it all millions of Americans still get out and vote,I guess they are all young,healthy and have no jobs or children.

Italy has a majority elderly population that seems to stand in line with no problem,here if one has special needs they can call the polling stations and get help before arriving and there are also many organizations that will pick them up and bring them to vote.

But I get it,you have it implanted in your mind it is voter suppression even after being showed twice that the lines were for same day registration.

Heres a thought,do not want to stand in line? Do not wait until the day of vote to register.

It is 1,460 days of being able to register before the day of vote,hardly classified as voter suppression.
    Last edited by Richard; March-17-20 at 01:56 PM.

Ty for the context.
    It may or may not, in your mind be voter suppression.
    It is not. They had voter registration extension offices open weeks before the primary. When my friend went to U of M they sent out flyers and notices weeks before on where to go to register to vote, if you don't want to vote in your "home" district while at school. They had booths set up in the student center encouraging people to register ahead of time. You can do it by mail as well.

Registering ahead of time takes, maybe, ten minutes at the office, or ten minutes filling out a form and mailing it in.

Doing taxes is difficult. Registering a car at the secretary of state is time consuming. Registering to vote is neither.

Bernie on live now about the corona virus.

https://youtu.be/UEPj04OzYng

6 Ways Coronavirus Proves Bernie Sanders Right
    Newsbroke is back! This time from Francesca’s “Helter Shelter”, a.k.a her living room. We’re looking at how solutions to COVID-19 sound like they’re right out of a Bernie Sanders stump speech. So, is the Coronavirus pandemic proving that Bernie’s been right the whole time?

^^^^^^Pretty much^^^^^

In his first interview since suspending his campaign for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States, Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont shares his thoughts on Joe Biden's path forward in this exclusive conversation with Stephen Colbert.
    Interesting backdrop. That's a Florentine style chess set in case anyone wants to interpret that symbolism.
    Last edited by Jimaz; April-10-20 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Interesting backdrop. That's a Florentine style chess set in case anyone wants to interpret that symbolism.

Looks like he's taken the Hillary Clinton approach. He lost but he can't shut up. Maybe some speeches in India to complete the circle of life?

^^^ Hah. I kind get it though HT.

Might as well let the BOSS [[the media, supporters/detractors, dems/repubs, Trump, et al) know what's ON YOU MIND full-out as you clear out your desk!

Especially if you're not going to need a reference! ... ...
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-11-20 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Looks like he's taken the Hillary Clinton approach. He lost but he can't shut up. Maybe some speeches in India to complete the circle of life?
    Yea,call me crazy but if I was running for President the last person I would be taking winning advice from,would be my losing opponent.

I wonder how the DNC feels about the whole,I am staying in just to collect enough delegate votes in order to have power over you,while I remain an independent.

I had a little respect for the guy until he got on to the whole,it’s Trumps fault that I lost,but then again accepting personal responsibility was never their strong suit.

I do not think he would last an hour in India,if they even let him in the first place.

I guess the whole virus thing kinda put a crimp on city’s will burn.
    Last edited by Richard; April-11-20 at 10:34 AM.

Why the need to keep shitting on Bernie ? He doesn't do speeches to Goldman Sachs for money like Clinton. He's still trying to do his job in the Senate.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...s-bankrupt-and

Sen. Bernie Sanders on Sunday urged Congress to act immediately to stop President Donald Trump from using the novel coronavirus outbreak "as an opportunity to bankrupt and privatize the Postal Service," a longstanding goal of the conservative movement.

He's lost it. Next comes the "deplorables" speech then Russian collusion.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-13-20 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Why the need to keep shitting on Bernie ? He doesn't do speeches to Goldman Sachs for money like Clinton. He's still trying to do his job in the Senate.

Why the hero worship? Other then making himself rich off of "helping the working man" what has he done for me lately?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-13-20 at 08:38 AM.

Why the hero worship? Other then making himself rich off of "helping the working man" what has he done for me lately?
    I don't worship him, but he was the best candidate in my lifetime. He is still trying to help people, unlike the rest of them. [[Biden does not support Medicare for All)

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...uring-pandemic

As the number of Americans without health insurance continues to rise rapidly due to
    ongoing mass layoffs
    across the nation, Sen. Bernie Sanders and Rep. Pramila Jayapal on Friday introduced emergency legislation that would empower Medicare to cover all healthcare costs for the uninsured and all out-of-pocket expenses for those with insurance for the duration of the coronavirus crisis.

He's lost it. Next comes the "deplorables" speech then Russian collusion.
    Article 1, Section 8, Clause 7 of the Constitution:
    The Congress shall have Power...
    To establish Post Offices and
    Post Roads;

Thank you, Bernie!
    Sen. Bernie Sanders endorsed former Vice President Joe Biden for president on Monday during a livestream with the two men, telling Biden “we need you in the White House.”
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/13/bern...87Wmj8Fl2988aI

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    That is like if I ran as a Democrat in China,Russia,Cuba etc. is it not to be expected.

He is tolerated because in America he has that right,it does not make him automatically acceptable,and clearly,for the second time,it has been proven that outside of his base,he is not.

Then to add injury to insult,he cannot bow out gracefully,he has to stick in there to gain delegates in order to build control over the very party that has given him a chance in the first place.

He stabbed the Democratic Party in the back and expects them to play nice?

He is a claimed independent and people are confused as to why neither party is accepting of him?

That is like asking Ford to build a Chevy for you.

Or heck,for that matter,as a man,I am going to run the women’s movement,I wonder what it pays?
    Last edited by Richard; April-13-20 at 02:40 PM.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23