Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Gilbert eyes Uniroyal site redevelopment on Detroit riverfront

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...oit-riverfront

Well outside his CBD boundaries, but on the water. How much can one company take on at once???

If this comes to pass and contains hundreds and hundreds [[maybe 1 - 2K) housing units, than for sure they should start planning for QLine II [[or "JLine").

That would be the residential component to make a 2nd line work.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    If this comes to pass and contains hundreds and hundreds [[maybe 1 - 2K) housing units, than for sure they should start planning for QLine II [[or "JLine").

That would be the residential component to make a 2nd line work.
    Agreed. But be prepared: I think the site still needs years of remediation
    and clean-up.

Mikeg19, in answer to your question: a whole lot. Especially when: a) you have tons of money; b) set up teams of competent professionals to handle each project; c) set big but realistic goals; and d) you are motivated, and pass that motivation on to everyone else.

A Q Line extension will definetly be needed to support this development. And it can’t just terminate in downtown separately- it has to extend from the Congress terminus of the Q Line. Possibly a short subway tunnel through the Ford Auditorium parking garage. And a direct within fare zone connection to Millender Center or Renaissance Center Peopel Mover.

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosoftFan View Post
    A Q Line extension will definetly be needed to support this development. And it can’t just terminate in downtown separately- it has to extend from the Congress terminus of the Q Line. Possibly a short subway tunnel through the Ford Auditorium parking garage. And a direct within fare zone connection to Millender Center or Renaissance Center Peopel Mover.
    Even more so if this is revealed to include at least one or more high-rise towers like a Sketchup rendering proposal I did of this site five years ago.

I think it's safe to assume that Gilbert has eyed every halfway major site in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I think it's safe to assume that Gilbert has eyed every halfway major site in the city.
    I'll bet you're right. But then again, so have I . Of course, he has a few more dollars than I do.

If they jump right into rail proposals I hope that it goes beyond Belle Isle and at least to Waterworks Park to serve more of the neighborhoods and high rises in those areas. Also they need to make the damn thing a center running rail.

The new line on Jefferson should continue on Woodward, so there are two "lines" running on Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Agreed. But be prepared: I think the site still needs years of remediation
    and clean-up.
    That is the hurdle obviously. The western 1/3rd of the site has been cleaned. The most eastern of the site has a parking lot on it. I'm not sure historically if that has been there forever and is less contaminated then the middle parcel, or if the damage was done far before Uniroyal had it and it's just as bad as the western and middle parcel. Does anyone recall how long it took to clean the western portion? I want to say 18 months was the timeframe, but I believe they also included shoring up the retaining wall in that.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Even more so if this is revealed to include at least one or more high-rise towers like a Sketchup rendering proposal I did of this site five years ago.
    Literally, Gilbert is literally doing miracles. He is not developing in NYC, SF, L.A., etc. cities which have very strong real estate development markets.

If he pulls off the CBD projects and the river front and QLine from New Center to Belle Isle or beyond, truly amazing.

And If Detroit gets HQ 2 at the river front, they might start calling him the Motor City Messiah.

I don't think most people appreciate what it means to take a city on its knees and literally carry it on its back until it comes back to good health.
    Last edited by emu steve; September-26-17 at 09:14 AM.

Whatever the project is, I hope they turn Jefferson from a 10 lane behemoth into a 4 lane boulevard like in the streetscape project in Jefferson Chalmers.

While I hope this story has legs, the report seems a bit thin -- Gilbert has surely had "talks" about every parcel in this city.

Detroit needs a great waterfront district. Every city I've visited has a scenic and lively waterfront. If Glibert gets this parcel, you'll have a solid development from Belle Isle to the Ren Cen and using those two developments, create a waterfront district with shops and restaurants and residential/hotels.

Whatever the project is, I hope they turn Jefferson from a 10 lane behemoth into a 4 lane boulevard like in the streetscape project in Jefferson Chalmers.

Maybe learn to cross the street.... without a DPD cop holding your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Maybe learn to cross the street.... without a DPD cop holding your hand.
    Or maybe it isn't easy or efficient to cross all that traffic and a road diet would serve the area well?

DetroitNightLights Guest

'Based on the research, the conservancy has pitched a plan to its board for six water taxi stations and 14 trolley stops from West Riverfront Park to Gabriel Richard Park, with stops on Belle Isle.
    William Smith, the conservancy's chief financial officer, said the first phase of the water taxi route would use six existing docks or access points along the river. They are Cobo Center, the Detroit/Wayne County Port Authority, RenCen/GM Plaza, Rivard Plaza, the Rattlesnake Club and Belle Isle.'

'Early in President Barack Obama's first term, more than $2 million in federal money was granted to the Detroit Wayne County Port Authority to buy ferry boats.
    The boats still haven't been bought seven years later, even though the $2.4 million grant application says they would be purchased and operational within 12 months.'
    'A study completed in January 2015 for the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy by Detroit-based Freshwater Transit Solutions LLC suggested phasing in water taxi service in three stages with stops at various points along the river: the Dossin Great Lakes Museum on Belle Isle, the former Uniroyal Tire Co. factory site, the Roberts Riverwalk Hotel, Rivard Plaza, the RenCen, the port authority and the west riverfront. It also said operations should start small and be expanded in varying phases.'
    '"You don't want to screw up a federal grant. I would rather give the money back than screw it up. I will move with great caution," Loftus said.'
    Last edited by DetroitNightLights; September-26-17 at 12:32 PM.