Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Addition to One Campus Martius?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-to-one-campus

250,000 sq. feet behind the OCM building...

Many other announcements today, including details about the Book tower!

Any additional info on it? Links? Book Tower?

Details from the announcement:

15,000 construction jobs
    9,000 full time jobs
    3.2 million square feet
    2,000+ parking spaces
    $250 million in incentives
    $1.9 billion in private finances

Book Tower:
    80,000 sq ft office space
    95 residences
    hotel
    180,000 sq ft of retail
    $313 million [[awesome number)

One Campus Martius:
    310,000 sq. ft. addition
    $95 million

Monroe Block:
    $830 million
    482 residential units
    35 story tower [[814,000 sq ft)

Hudson's Block:
    $900 million

There's more information that came out during the press conference but it's not yet published that I can find.
    Last edited by Zads07; September-20-17 at 12:22 PM.

Damn. All good and timely for anyone who thinks we don't have a shot at luring Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Details from the announcement:

Book Tower:
    80,000 sq ft office space
    95 residences
    hotel
    180,000 sq ft of retail
    $313 million [[awesome number)

That is a LOT of retail for the Book Tower.. This has got to be some national brand, right?

Also, I love what they did with the One Campus Martius expansion. I was worried they would just continue the old facade, but I feel this brings in some good flavor for a now 15-year-old building.. [[wow, where did the time go?)

Funny how tastes vary; my first thought about the expansion was how ugly it was and how I wished they'd just continued the existing facade, which itself is not terribly beautiful.

It looks like they were trying to tie the building in with the latest iteration of Hudson's, which isn't really a bad thing. Overall it doesn't do much for me but I do think it is nice that Detroit will now have a greater variety of architectural styles in the downtown area.

Agreed on all accounts.

The view in the rendering may never exist, depending on construction timelines. The Hudson building might block that view right away. Very cool design!

I agree. The view from the Library is more important than the view from Woodward at this point. I'm a little skeptical about such an ultra modern design but if it ties in with the new Hudson block development then I think things will be just fine.

It looks as though Gilbert has lumped all of these projects into one proposal for the income tax incentive. Am I reading that right? I thought he would have to apply separately for Monroe and Hudson's but this looks to combine everything into one development. If that is how it is working it opens up more potential projects in Detroit going big since the city is allotted one such project per year.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    It looks as though Gilbert has lumped all of these projects into one proposal for the income tax incentive. Am I reading that right? I thought he would have to apply separately for Monroe and Hudson's but this looks to combine everything into one development. If that is how it is working it opens up more potential projects in Detroit going big since the city is allotted one such project per year.
    I don't know if Gilbert is lumping these together or not, but I could have sworn that the incentive law allowed for one project per developer per city per year, not one per city total.

Or maybe I misunderstood and you meant "city is allotted one [Gilbert] project per year."? Either way it would be good to clarify how Gilbert is doing this.

Guys, this facade is a glass curtain wall with little boxes on it. The front of the building is also a glass curtain wall with little boxes on it. This facade doesn't have confetti on it or the giant arch so it could even be argued that this facade is more conservative than the front facade. I think it will look a lot more normal in reality than in the rendering.

This building has 20 general-use elevator shafts, 16 have elevators. Work is being done [[has been going on for months) in the remaining four shafts to add elevators to them. I was told that these empty shafts were for exactly what we see in this rendering, building the wedge.

DetroitNightLights Guest

Why do all of Gilbert's new buildings have to look so hideous?
    Last edited by DetroitNightLights; September-20-17 at 06:41 PM.