Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Tonky Honk Bar

Default Tonky Honk Bar

Does anyone remember the Tonky Honk Bar in Dearborn. When I worked at the Rouge office bldg. for Ford's back in the 60's, the Tonky Honk sponsored my softball team. It was a fun place with excellent food!

No but when I was watching old Detroit commercials there was one for Lucile's. Looked like a good shit-kickin kinda place!

Quote Originally Posted by d.leon View Post
    Does anyone remember the Tonky Honk Bar in Dearborn. When I worked at the Rouge office bldg. for Ford's back in the 60's, the Tonky Honk sponsored my softball team. It was a fun place with excellent food!
    I think it was located on the N-side of MI Ave, I played softball sponsored by the Bronco Bar while working at Rouge Assy in '74......

I *think* it was where the Arab National Museum is now.

My recollection of the previous occupant of the site where the
    Arab American National Museum was that it was a furniture
    store, "Leeds Furniture", but, there could have been a bar also
    right next door to it.

The next block west had a trattoria and a Chinese restaurant
    [[the "Red Star") in my recollection but that block also could
    have had a bar.
    Last edited by Dumpling; September-20-17 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    My recollection of the previous occupant of the site where the
    Arab American National Museum was that it was a furniture
    store, "Leeds Furniture", but, there could have been a bar also
    right next door to it.

The next block west had a trattoria and a Chinese restaurant
    [[the "Red Star") in my recollection but that block also could
    have had a bar.
    You are correct, it was Leeds. Now I'm not sure exactly where the Tonky Honk was. I also think I vaguely recall there was an empty space East of TH, like a small building once stood there. Red Star is still around, a block or two West of the ANM. I bet Crazy Clarence would know.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-20-17 at 08:48 PM.

Stopped at the TH saloon once after work on the way home after work......

Attachment 34219

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You are correct, it was Leeds. Now I'm not sure exactly where the Tonky Honk was. I also think I vaguely recall there was an empty space East of TH, like a small building once stood there. Red Star is still around, a block or two West of the ANM. I bet Crazy Clarence would know.

I retract my statement. I believe Leeds was, what is now, Royal Furniture. I wonder if the Tonky Honk could have been, what is now, Top Dog Coney Island?

Name:  Royal Furniture.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  Top Dog Coney Island.JPG
Views: 1453
Size:  45.1 KB

Royal Furniture could still be in existence as Google maps
    shows that it is located on Michigan east of Schaefer Road.
    The Arab American National Museum is located west of
    Schaefer road.

Royal is definitely still in existence. I'm having trouble placing where Tonky Honk used to be. Things are a bit foggy from the 60s and 70s, ya know?

OP asked the same question 2 years ago:

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...Live-Jazz-bars

There is also this, but I don't know if it's related:

TONKY HONK, INC. was formed on 1985-06-25 in Michigan by COLEMAN TAYLOR located at 13620 MICHIGAN AVE., DEARBORN, MI 48126, United States. It was dissolved by administrative action.

I passed the Tonky Honk many times as a kid. I believe it became the Zamboni Room then the Arab American Museum

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    There is also this, but I don't know if it's related:

TONKY HONK, INC. was formed on 1985-06-25 in Michigan by COLEMAN TAYLOR located at 13620 MICHIGAN AVE., DEARBORN, MI 48126, United States. It was dissolved by administrative action.

Well then that puts it square in the AANM. Yes I remember it [[well, sorta) and yes, that's where I took the handle from. [[long story)
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-22-17 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrie and Arthur View Post
    I passed the Tonky Honk many times as a kid. I believe it became the Zamboni Room then the Arab American Museum

"The Zamboni Room" that rings a bell, but I believe it was short lived.

I was talking with an old Dearborn bar owner. The Zamboni Room [[previously the Tonky Honk) was owned by the son of an old Red Wings coach. Apparently after 911, some drunks smashed up the Arab American Museum frontage. The museum soon bought out the bar and it closed.

Not many bars left in Dearborn.. Shelbys on Warren Ave just east of Greenfield is closed...Palomar long gone..

I don't think the current residents like bars. Orville would not be happy.

Yup..definitely a trend especially in the east end of Dearborn. Speedy Burrito at the corner of Warren Ave and Schaefer got ran out after years of good food. I'm thinking about opening a Lechonaria on Warren Ave to diversify the dining options .

How about The Golden Pheasant on Warren? Anybody ever go there?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-29-17 at 09:33 AM.

Where I am now, bar-b-qued [[smoked) pork shoulders are big business. I'm guessing that wouldn't do too well there.

Yes, I was definately foggy many times myself when leaving the Tonky Honk!