Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Yamasaki, Inc. Moves Back Downtown

It now occupies 3,000 sq. ft. in the Fisher Building.

Interestingly enough, they're echoing the same comments as Dan Gilbert about Detroit soon going vertical [[and wanting to be a part of that).

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article..._medium=social

I was wondering what had happened to them. I just found out that they had moved from the Big Beaver office to Birmingham a couple of months ago, but when I went to the address listed on their web site they weren't there anymore. I had thought they had gone out of business, at it looks like their web site hasn't been updated in a few years. Good to see they are still going.

Looks like they have a Manhattan office, as well.

I hope they're bringing the name back to do something better than generic suburban office parks. Let's just say there's a strong... "contrast" between what Minoru Yamasaki designed and what his firm did after he died.

Best wishes to them though. I bet they would have liked to have been in one of the Yamasaki designed office buildings but maybe they were full or too expensive. Maybe someday they'll have the opportunity to design a new office building in Detroit and locate the firm in it.

I'm looking forward to a new website and new projects.

I was reading the comments on that Crain's link... and it seems that the 2nd Yamasaki building ever was built on the east side of Detroit.... on 10600 Morang at Cadieux.... the Sloan Clinic... for sale for $95K.

I must have driven past there a thousand times over the last 30 years, and never knew that.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...!4d-82.9397647

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I was reading the comments on that Crain's link... and it seems that the 2nd Yamasaki building ever was built on the east side of Detroit.... on 10600 Morang at Cadieux.... the Sloan Clinic... for sale for $95K.

I must have driven past there a thousand times over the last 30 years, and never knew that.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...!4d-82.9397647
    10600 Morang was not the second design by Leinweber, Yamasaki & Hellmuth on the eastside. I attended 2nd though 6th grade in the building.

One of the first two designs.
    Saint Paul's on the Lake Parish School addition 170 Grosse Pointe Boulevard built in 1951 Grosse Pointe Farms,, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The second building.

Designed by Leinweber, Yamasaki & Hellmuth and Alexander Girard for Daniel W. Goodenough. 234 Lothrop built in 1951 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I was just repeating the comments of the building owner in the Crain's article comment section.... Whether it was 2nd or 10th is beside the point.... just never knew that a Yamasaki design was in that location.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-16-17 at 01:48 AM.

I was just repeating the comments of the building owner in the Crain's article comment section.... Whether it was 2nd or 10th is beside the point.... just never knew that a Yamasaki design was in that location.
    I posted 10600 Morang a year or so ago in my thread.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I posted 10600 Morang a year or so ago in my thread.
    Sorry.... being in the middle of a 9 volume book deal with China [[a LEGO collectors guide).... I think I'm at least 200 posts behind...

Sorry.... being in the middle of a 9 volume book deal with China [[a LEGO collectors guide).... I think I'm at least 200 posts behind...
    NP, I am now looking forward to seeing the collector's guides.