Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Warning - Hot Wheels

Ms. Alum just went to the Hot Wheels wheel store on 8 Mile with her new Yukon to get some rims and tires. When they installed the wheels, they put a ding in her drivers' door, denied they did it and called her a liar, claiming it was like that when she came in. They also initially failed to balance her wheels and gave her a hard time when she called them on it and the door damage. Tried to intimidate her by saying they were recording the conversation. Great business model - Damage the customers' $70k vehicle, call them a liar and fail to provide services that were paid for.

Yeah, I always got skeevy vibes from that Hot Wheels City store [[there are 2 locations, one on 8 Mile / Schoenherr and one on 8 Mile / Schaefer), given the characters I see hanging around.

They will never put their hands on my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yeah, I always got skeevy vibes from that Hot Wheels City store [[there are 2 locations, one on 8 Mile / Schoenherr and one on 8 Mile / Schaefer), given the characters I see hanging around.

They will never put their hands on my car.
    This was the Schoenherr store. As an Africa-American, Mrs. Alum tries to spend her money in the "hood", unfortunately this is not the first time that doing it was a mistake. Don't know which is worse, this or being treated like s**t at the Belle Tire on Mack in Grosse Pointe.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    This was the Schoenherr store. As an Africa-American, Mrs. Alum tries to spend her money in the "hood", unfortunately this is not the first time that doing it was a mistake. Don't know which is worse, this or being treated like s**t at the Belle Tire on Mack in Grosse Pointe.

FWIW, Been doing business for years @ Discount Tire on Ford Rd. W. of Telegraph and always had a good experience.

^^^ Yes, I had grand experience with all of the Discount Tire stores I've used [[Dearborn, Livonia, Farm Hills, etc.)

I too try to buy in the city but I can't be subject to bad service any where. I will complain and let others know. I've never had good luck changing wheels on a car. Did it once and always had problems with the after market alloys.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I too try to buy in the city but I can't be subject to bad service any where. I will complain and let others know. I've never had good luck changing wheels on a car. Did it once and always had problems with the after market alloys.

There are certain things to look for. TRY to make sure the wheels are hub-centric to your vehicle. If not, make sure the vendor provides the proper fitting shims to avoid wobble. High speed balance using shims on the inside of the rims only. Earlier Chinese wheels sold here had a horrid alu-alloy mix and were prone to problems.
    I too try to give my business to City stores, especially old established stores in the 'hood, but won't subject myself to price gouging or awful service, anywhere.

Ms. Alum just went to the Hot Wheels wheel store on 8 Mile with her new Yukon to get some rims and tires. When they installed the wheels, they put a ding in her drivers' door, denied they did it and called her a liar, claiming it was like that when she came in. They also initially failed to balance her wheels and gave her a hard time when she called them on it and the door damage. Tried to intimidate her by saying they were recording the conversation. Great business model - Damage the customers' $70k vehicle, call them a liar and fail to provide services that were paid for.
    Assuming it was a new "to her" Yukon. You're not going to switch tires on a new vehicle - right?

Just checked the website and confirmed my belief that this place offers financing for wheels and tires. Sigh...

Another vote for discount tire. As long as you're prepared for the up sell, it's an easy experience.

Always had good experiences with Joe & Kirk on Eureka Road in Wyandotte.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Assuming it was a new "to her" Yukon. You're not going to switch tires on a new vehicle - right?
    Wrong, new Yukon Denali, new rims and tires to replace the standard factory rims.
    BTW, what difference would it make if it was new or 10 years old? It doesn't change the fact that the vehicle was damaged and she was treated poorly - Am I missing something?

Wrong, new Yukon Denali, new rims and tires to replace the standard factory rims.
    BTW, what difference would it make if it was new or 10 years old? It doesn't change the fact that the vehicle was damaged and she was treated poorly - Am I missing something?
    Of course they shouldn't have damaged that vehicle regardless of how old or new it was. I'm just surprised you would bring a new out of the showroom car to an aftermarket shop have the tires and wheels replaced.

Uh, if you have to finance a set if rims...? Well, um-eh......

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    Just checked the website and confirmed my belief that this place offers financing for wheels and tires. Sigh...

Another vote for discount tire. As long as you're prepared for the up sell, it's an easy experience.

Yeah it was not even that much about vanity, the factory standard alloy wheels were very old/ scuffed hard... but you have to be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    There are certain things to look for. TRY to make sure the wheels are hub-centric to your vehicle. If not, make sure the vendor provides the proper fitting shims to avoid wobble....

I'm just surprised you would bring a new out of the showroom car to an aftermarket shop have the tires and wheels replaced.
    Peeps been trickin' out they new rides for a long time. Pretty common in fact.

'Hot Wheels' is a trademark of Mattel, but I'm not sure if that would apply to real vehicles. Might make some trouble for them in that area though. Cost them some lawyerin' fees at least.

Of course they shouldn't have damaged that vehicle regardless of how old or new it was. I'm just surprised you would bring a new out of the showroom car to an aftermarket shop have the tires and wheels replaced.
    I'm with you, Rider - Ever hear the phrase "Happy wife, happy life"?

The dealer told her that he would just go and get the wheels she wanted from an aftermarket shop and mark them up, so she thought she would eliminate the "middleman".

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Peeps been trickin' out they new rides for a long time. Pretty common in fact.

'Hot Wheels' is a trademark of Mattel, but I'm not sure if that would apply to real vehicles. Might make some trouble for them in that area though. Cost them some lawyerin' fees at least.
    Excuse me? "Peeps been trickin out they new rides"? WTF! Oh, I get it - Black, new car and rims, must be a drug dealer, right? Go march with the Nazis, jerk. FYI, while Mrs. Alum is black, I am not and neither one of us deals drugs. Be happy to compare W-2's any time. Sheesh.

I would get in touch with the Better Business Bureau and State AG's office. If they're doing this to you, they're likely screwing other consumers too.

Frankly I would be scared to have an 8 Mile after-market shop called "Hot Wheels" handle my 70k car [[don't have such a car, but if I did). That said, it's 100% the fault of the business owner.