Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Well on the plus side when it's renovated everyone will be able to go in as they please.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I am impressed that Ford is contemplating a mixed use inbthis historic building. What better way of securing a future for this beautiful place than this; getting residents in there, something that fosters a sense of belonging. Will it be condos or rentals?

What I appreciate about this beyond the reuse is the fact that the architecture is a testament to the greatness of Detroit, and its quality architecture. I suppose the gardens fronting the building will also bringba renaissance of sorts to the immediate environment.

This will be a nice crowning touch to the efforts of people who contributed on a smaller scale like Slows on Michigan Avenue. Their faith and investment in the city paid off and opened the eyes of bigger players to envision a new Detroit.
    That was very nice and fitting.

I am in a bit of shock in seeing a positive side of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That was very nice and fitting.

I am in a bit of shock in seeing a positive side of you.
    Yes. It's all a matter of interpretation, really.

I think that it is possible to be positive by patting someone on the back for their good deeds and more importantly not kick someone when they are down.

The restoration of this beautiful babe can only be a good thing. I can't see a negative side to it. It could even revitalize the surrounding neighborhood; and I'm all about the neighborhoods.

What does it mean to be on the waiting list? Will there be a later date to visit the station?

I grabbed some photos during my visit to the station yesterday. I will try to post more this week. https://fadeddetroit.blogspot.com/20...n-station.html

Executive Plaza is now the largest office building between Ford Corktown and the CBD that has yet to be rehabbed

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1200-...it-MI/3796772/
    Last edited by hybridy; June-25-18 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Executive Plaza is now the largest office building between Ford Corktown and the CBD that has yet to be rehabbed

I've always considered that more an eyesore than Michigan Central Station.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post

I have have always wondered what the condition of the interior is currently...

Big news on Michigan Central and the surrounding area.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ion/994474002/

Highlights:
    $740 million investment
    1.2 million square-foot campus
    seeking $250 million in tax incentives
    Occupy MCS by 2022

That price tag must piss off the 1000 or so people they are going to walk out of Ford PDC in Dearborn in a few weeks due to the stock price and Jim Hackett's focus on the company's "fitness". I get that they want to make it a leaner company, but cutting all these people as a cost saving measure and then spending almost a billion dollars on a building isn't exactly the best PR move.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    spending almost a billion dollars on a building isn't exactly the best PR move.
    It isn't just on one building. That 740 million is the total cost for their corktown campus including MCS, Roosevelt warehouse, 2 new parking ramps, and some new buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    It isn't just on one building. That 740 million is the total cost for their corktown campus including MCS, Roosevelt warehouse, 2 new parking ramps, and some new buildings.
    Apologies.......a few buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    That price tag must piss off the 1000 or so people they are going to walk out of Ford PDC in Dearborn in a few weeks due to the stock price and Jim Hackett's focus on the company's "fitness". I get that they want to make it a leaner company, but cutting all these people as a cost saving measure and then spending almost a billion dollars on a building isn't exactly the best PR move.
    Fortunately for Ford, most people outside of Metro Detroit won't know anything about this. I didn't even know Ford was cutting staff so drastically.

Over the last few decades Ford has been ahead of the game even when they looked as though they were behind. Their stock started dropping well before the Great Recession, yet they were the only automaker not asking for a bailout. This move certainly won't help them or their share price in the short term, but Ford has the long run on their minds. For the foreseeable future cities are where young people want to be, and it's young talent and ideas that will keep these automakers afloat in the decades to come.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    I didn't even know Ford was cutting staff so drastically.
    They're not.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    It also likely includes the cost of demolition for the brass factory building, which is also a contaminated site that needs clean up. One of the newer builds will be on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Over the last few decades Ford has been ahead of the game even when they looked as though they were behind. Their stock started dropping well before the Great Recession, yet they were the only automaker not asking for a bailout. This move certainly won't help them or their share price in the short term, but Ford has the long run on their minds.
    They asked for a bailout, but they didn't go bankrupt, so they didn't get bailed out. And they didn't go bankrupt because that would have loosened the Ford family control over the company.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Brown View Post
    They're not.
    https://ljpr.com/2018-ford-phased-re...t-program-prp/

https://www.freep.com/story/money/pe...uts/396035001/

They are. Remember when they quietly announced they were going to try to reduce their headcount about a year or so ago by offering buyouts? Word is not too many people took those buyouts. So what was initially a phased retirement program for those who volunteered and took the buyout will now turn into layoffs. They're going to be dumping about 1000 people from PDC in Dearborn.

So much for the Moroun's Hollywood stage front el cheapo windows...

Say goodbye to Michigan Central Station's replacement windows
    Michigan Central Station once again needs new windows.
    Less than three years after the Moroun family installed more than 1,000 of them at the vacant depot in Corktown [[with some less-than-gentle nudging from the Duggan administration), Ford Motor Co. will rip out what a spokeswoman said yesterday were windows that "are not historically correct for our planned restoration."

That probably comes as no surprise to experts on things like this.

Read this Metro Times piece from August 2015, which goes into great detail about the windows' historical shortcomings. And here is John Gallagher's Detroit Free Press story from the day before.

From Crains: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/voices-...cement-windows

It’s always sounded like Ford wanted to do this project the right way so this really doesn’t come as a surprise.

I wonder what’s going to happen to all those windows once they’re removed, though. Would be nice to see them donated to Habitat for Humanity or something.

Those windows are huge. Far too big to fit in a standard house.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Those windows are huge. Far too big to fit in a standard house.
    Since all windows need to be custom fit, the fact they are so large should be a good thing. Maybe several companies, Wallside etc., could get together and offer to install new windows for needy homeowners at no or greatly reduced cost.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Since all windows need to be custom fit, the fact they are so large should be a good thing. Maybe several companies, Wallside etc., could get together and offer to install new windows for needy homeowners at no or greatly reduced cost.
    That's what I was thinking as well. I don't know much about the window industry, but it seems like if the windows can't be used as is they could be altered to be made more useful.

If the glass isn't tempered it could be cut and re-used. However, labor costs usually make such projects impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    If the glass isn't tempered it could be cut and re-used. However, labor costs usually make such projects impractical.
    Thank you for clearing that up.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast