Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

I was surprised that there was interest in this as far away as California:
    Ford: Detroit train station key to autonomous vehicle plans.

We have renderings!

Although there doesn't seem to be much difference except the building looks nice and occupied, it's still a rendering.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...ation-corktown

Name:  MCS.jpg
Views: 2541
Size:  154.4 KB

The Freep had a long and favorable story about the Ford purchase of the Michigan Central facility. The NY Times published a similar story today:https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/17/b...T.nav=top-news

Three comments:
    * The comments of Bill Ford about revitalization Detroit are impressive. At present, the Ford firm has access to capital needed for the development of a new research campus.
    * Mayor Young presumed that the Poletown plant would foster a substantial increase in employment in the surrounding area. That did not happen. The 2500 employee number that Ford suggests implies that the
    Ford development in Corktown and related businesses will employ more
    than GM's Hamtramck Assembly.
    *The rail lines at the Michigan Central Station go directly to Montreal in one direction and Chicago in the other. Ford has its major offices in Dearborn and in building facilities in Ann Arbor linked to testing modern vehicles. The engines and railroad cars needed for a Jackson to Detroit commuter service are now here in Michigan. It could be started using
    the traditional Michigan Central station as its Detroit end point, I should
    think. The state owns much of the rail line upon which commuter trains would operate.

4. Default

John Gallagher of the Free Press summed things up today with this high five.

For years, doubters and scoffers have derided as romantic or deluded the folks who fought for Detroit's future. But it turns out the Detroit believers were right all along. And the train station is proof of that - a fitting end to the long beginning of Detroit's comeback.

And this Churchillian caution:

“Now, this is not the end,” Churchill said of an early Allied victory in World War II. “It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”

http://freep.mi.newsmemory.com/publi...reid=15da711a5
    Name:  mcd.jpg
Views: 2563
Size:  123.3 KB

All that one needs to do is listen to the man who bought the building.

Ford is in the self described ‘mobility business’. They are banking the companies future on autonomous vehicles that they design and build. There are exactly Zero signs of Ford getting into the train business.

Bill Ford Jr. wants AVs running down Michigan Ave between the campuses in Corktown and Dearborn in the near future.

You’ve got a straight shot down Michigan Avenue to our Dearborn campus. It’s not a big stretch to think about AVs [[autonomous vehicles) going between Dearborn and here. Not just this building but also other Corktown facilities that we own,” Ford said. “Then, over time, you could easily see that being expanded to not just Ford employees but the general public. You’re going to ask me, probably, time frame. I don’t think anyone could possibly answer that yet, in terms of when they’re going to be ready for unveiling. It won’t be long.”

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ion/703663002/

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    All that one needs to do is listen to the man who bought the building.

Ford is in the self described ‘mobility business’. They are banking the companies future on autonomous vehicles that they design and build. There are exactly Zero signs of Ford getting into the train business.

Bill Ford Jr. wants AVs running down Michigan Ave between the campuses in Corktown and Dearborn in the near future.

You’ve got a straight shot down Michigan Avenue to our Dearborn campus. It’s not a big stretch to think about AVs [[autonomous vehicles) going between Dearborn and here. Not just this building but also other Corktown facilities that we own,” Ford said. “Then, over time, you could easily see that being expanded to not just Ford employees but the general public. You’re going to ask me, probably, time frame. I don’t think anyone could possibly answer that yet, in terms of when they’re going to be ready for unveiling. It won’t be long.”

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ion/703663002/
    Ford needs to ultimately decide since it's their own money and the money of their share holders that's at stake here. Yes i know there's expected tax abatements but the benefits of such a development will more than likely outstrip the public liability.
    Besides, who says a train network is viable or more efficient than AV's? It's a new world faced with new challenges. Ford anticipates a way forward that suits their business model whilst meeting demand. Good for them and best of luck.

Way to go Ford. They want the piece of the Detroit action.

YAY DUGGAN!!! Can Coleman Young and King Kwame do that?

This is a great story:

Thief returns train station clock, thanks Ford for believing in Detroit

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ock/710459002/

When looking at the immediate surrounding area...I wonder if the City of Detroit would offer the DPW Yard that swallows 19th Street to Ford for $1. Allowing them to use the land for their "campus" or proposed parking garage? or did I read that they were already planning a garage along the service drive with their recently acquired property?

The garage is rumored to go at the decrepit Roosevelt Warehouse/DPS Book Depository steps away from the station. It's the right shape and size for such a thing. Even were that not the case, it'd be crazy for the city to offer any land for next-to-nothing given how many incentives they are going to get from the city [[and state and feds) to renovate this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    The garage is rumored to go at the decrepit Roosevelt Warehouse/DPS Book Depository steps away from the station. It's the right shape and size for such a thing. Even were that not the case, it'd be crazy for the city to offer any land for next-to-nothing given how many incentives they are going to get from the city [[and state and feds) to renovate this thing.

But it'll create THOUSANDS of jobs!

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    I have not heard this as to be true. I've also heard the rumor that it'll be a museum/showroom of sorts. The garage they are planning on building will be near Tiger Stadium site, between Michigan Ave., Tiger Stadium, I-75 Service Drive and Rosa Parks.

How about we compromise and Amtrak can make the first Wolverine trains each way start and end at the rehabbed station? Pretty please!!?? Just let me dream...

Big Sean and Emagine could have a theater inside the depot it seems.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...heater-project

Thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post

Thoughts on this?
    The timeline doesn't seem to fit. I think they floated it out there to get more free publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post

Thoughts on this?
    I proposed this on the reddit forum, how about plopping the Emagine/Big Sean Theater on the Hotel Tuller site on Grand Circus Park. The directly adjacent United Artist theater could be restored and used as the performance space/comedy club/lecture hall that Big Sean is envisioning.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I proposed this on the reddit forum, how about plopping the Emagine/Big Sean Theater on the Hotel Tuller site on Grand Circus Park. The directly adjacent United Artist theater could be restored and used as the performance space/comedy club/lecture hall that Big Sean is envisioning.
    I hope not. Detroit needs density and residential there, especially since it’s fronting a park.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I hope not. Detroit needs density and residential there, especially since it’s fronting a park.
    Ok, how about a theater as part of a mixed-use development like the AMC River East 21 in downtown Chicago.

19. Default

It was a great day in Detroit and I was pleased to be there. Who would have thought this would ever happen.

Below: Bill Ford [seen on projection screen] addresses the enthusiastic audience in front of the Michigan Central Depot announcing Ford's plans for the station and its Corktown neighbor. The long-derelict and abandoned eyesore will be renovated over five years.

Citing Henry Ford's Irish immigrant father fleeing the Irish potato famine to come to Detroit from Cork, Ireland, he announce the company's plan to move its advanced mobility teams to the station and other Corktown facilities, up to 5000 employees, with goal of creating a startup haven ala Silicon Valley.

He aslo stressed making the station a part of the neighborhood and not a corporate island. Free tours will be offered this weekend.

20. Default

Lest we forget. From the depths of its ruin in 2003...

21. Default Ford says it plans to put housing in Detroit train station

From today's Free Press...

Michigan Central Station could soon be Detroit's hottest residential address.

The automaker said Tuesday that it plans to open several floors of housing in the old depot as part of building's coming top-to-bottom redevelopment, set for completion in 2022.

These residential floors will be in addition to office floors and retail space. The total number of residences, as well as their target demographics and location in the building, has yet to be determined, said Ford spokesman Karl Henkel.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ion/715922002/

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    From today's Free Press...

Michigan Central Station could soon be Detroit's hottest residential address.

The automaker said Tuesday that it plans to open several floors of housing in the old depot as part of building's coming top-to-bottom redevelopment, set for completion in 2022.

These residential floors will be in addition to office floors and retail space. The total number of residences, as well as their target demographics and location in the building, has yet to be determined, said Ford spokesman Karl Henkel.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ion/715922002/
    I no longer live in the Detroit area, one day hope to return, but I'm now 27, will be 28 this year.

As a high schooler, right when the Great Recession hit in 2009, a little bit before then even, I had always dreamed of living in that building. As a kid, I grew up wanting to explore it. It seems a tad unreal to me that this can be possible, people can live in this historic building in what sounds like, four years from now.

Basically if you don't get there early enough, you're SOL. They did say first come first serve but makes no sense. Got there around 3 and the line was closed and was told to come back tomorrow an hour early and say you had signed up for Saturday. Closed because it ends at 5 and the line was already hours long. No I am busy and busy Monday too. And even if so, then I'm ruining it for Sunday reservations. This must mean the wait list means nothing.

Would've been better to shuffle everyone through quickly. No time to mingle and sit and take 1000 pics.

Bitter? Hell yes. Never went to a rave there. Never broke in. Waited patiently and now I couldn't see it. Fuck that. They better have more public tours.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Basically if you don't get there early enough, you're SOL. They did say first come first serve but makes no sense. Got there around 3 and the line was closed and was told to come back tomorrow an hour early and say you had signed up for Saturday. Closed because it ends at 5 and the line was already hours long. No I am busy and busy Monday too. And even if so, then I'm ruining it for Sunday reservations. This must mean the wait list means nothing.

Would've been better to shuffle everyone through quickly. No time to mingle and sit and take 1000 pics.

Bitter? Hell yes. Never went to a rave there. Never broke in. Waited patiently and now I couldn't see it. Fuck that. They better have more public tours.
    I agree. Maybe, just maybe, seeing all those people waiting for hours, they'll have another weekend for tours.
    Last edited by Maof; June-23-18 at 05:41 PM.

I am impressed that Ford is contemplating a mixed use inbthis historic building. What better way of securing a future for this beautiful place than this; getting residents in there, something that fosters a sense of belonging. Will it be condos or rentals?

What I appreciate about this beyond the reuse is the fact that the architecture is a testament to the greatness of Detroit, and its quality architecture. I suppose the gardens fronting the building will also bringba renaissance of sorts to the immediate environment.

This will be a nice crowning touch to the efforts of people who contributed on a smaller scale like Slows on Michigan Avenue. Their faith and investment in the city paid off and opened the eyes of bigger players to envision a new Detroit.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast