Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

how many parcels of land does the DIBC own in Corktown/Southwest Detroit? have they completely divested of the Michigan Central Station related properties?
    I hope there's already a plan in place to renovate the property and hire locally for construction and ongoing jobs. We'll see, I guess.

"How many parcels of land does the DIBC own in Corktown/Southwest Detroit?"

A few years ago one of the newspapers [[the News?) printed a map of all the Maroun-owned parcels in Detroit. It was interesting. You could see that it's been their policy to buy every parcel that came up for sale near the river, not just near their existing bridge, but far downriver. Some of these were re-used for their trucking operations, like the former Yellow Freight terminal. Evidently the goal was to buy land for eventual replacement of the Ambassador Bridge, and to thwart [[or at least profit from) competing bridges. They bought railroad lines in an attempt to thwart condemnation for a competing bridge.

There are Maroun properties all over the City, but the other concentration of purchases is around City Airport. Evidently they anticipate that territory being redeveloped for logistics-based schemes, and intend to profit from it or participate with trucking facilities.

I don't recall a concentration around Corktown, but I imagine there are some. MC Depot is the centerpiece of that area, and its sale increases the value of nearby properties convenient to roads, railroads, and the river. Plus Lupita's Taqueria. Now I want enchiladas, but I'm 100 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    how many parcels of land does the DIBC own in Corktown/Southwest Detroit? have they completely divested of the Michigan Central Station related properties?
    I hope there's already a plan in place to renovate the property and hire locally for construction and ongoing jobs. We'll see, I guess.
    I wouldn't be too concerned about them hiring locally seeing as there's a shortage of construction workers these days.

FMC got it. What a miracle for the MCR Union Station. And Corktown.

After all these years, it really does seem like a miracle. I hope it works out well for them and we get to see a refurbished, beautiful building.

Default Will Ford replace the train station windows?

When Moroun replaced the windows at the train station, many suggested that he was installing "cheap" quality windows. Now that Ford owns the train station, will they re-install better quality windows?

Given the way Ford tends to do things, I'm betting they will.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    When Moroun replaced the windows at the train station, many suggested that he was installing "cheap" quality windows. Now that Ford owns the train station, will they re-install better quality windows?

Given the way Ford tends to do things, I'm betting they will.
    I think that Ford will replace the windows. Mouroun probably got those windows from Home Depot on the cheap just to shut up complainers in the city saying that he hasn't done anything to the train station. Ford will probably put much better quality of windows in the building which probably have a blue hue or light tint. I wonder what Ford will do with the old train tracks that are still around the building.

Default FMC Buys MCS!!! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    How's this for a speculation on the announcement?

The Glass House to Michigan Central Express.

A rail line runs behind Dearborn City Hall not 200 yards from the Ford World Headquarters [aka the Glass House] across Michigan.

Ford builds a station there and maintains a dedicated train that shuttles back and forth to the MCD?
    Attachment 35924
    Dearborn has 2 train stations. Just west of Southfield M-39 along Michigan Ave US-12 in Westborn is the Current Station the John D. Dingell Transit Center. Which services the Amtrak Wolverine AMTK 350-355 & SMART Routes 140, 200, & 250.

The older Civic Center station which is located behind Dearborn Police HQ is being converted into the new Metro Detroit Animal Shelter. The older AmShack Building and Rail Platform areas are still intact. Not too sure IF they are being keep for commuter rail. The current AA-DET commuter rail project is being handle thru MDOT/SEMCOG/RTASEMI.

Ford donated land for DBN Civic Center Station back in late 1970s and helped Amtrak acquired 2 RTG Tuberliner train sets.

Way to go Ford! That's going to be a great setting for work.
    Last edited by bust; June-12-18 at 09:33 PM.

The platform area might be owned by Canadian Pacific Ry. It definitely at least owns the two active mainline tracks. It would be fascinating to see a map of the whole area that shows what Ford owns, what Moroun retained and what CP owns.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    The platform area might be owned by Canadian Pacific Ry. It definitely at least owns the two active mainline tracks. It would be fascinating to see a map of the whole area that shows what Ford owns, what Moroun retained and what CP owns.
    makeloveland.com says the parcels around the RR tracks belong to MCRR and Penn Cent. The Michigan Central and Pennsylvania Central railroads haven't been around for a long time. They might be holding companies set up after the ConRail split.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    makeloveland.com says the parcels around the RR tracks belong to MCRR and Penn Cent. The Michigan Central and Pennsylvania Central railroads haven't been around for a long time. They might be holding companies set up after the ConRail split.
    More likely it's from the city not bothering to update its records. Old railroad names persist for decades on all sorts of maps.

I believe the question was asked at the press conference and Maroun indicated that CP would be keeping the areas in back for their right of way
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I believe the question was asked at the press conference and Maroun indicated that CP would be keeping the areas in back for their right of way
    I think he said they own the tunnel line, but I'm not sure that means they own the whole platform

The Roosevelt Warehouse at 14th and Marantette which was designed by Albert Kahn for the US Postal Service has, apparently, also been purchased by Ford. Has there been any discussion of what might be done with this very large building which served as a book depository for Detroit Public Schools after mail by rail ended?

In my younger days I made entrance to buildings in a manner of questionable legality. One of the most lasting images for me in that period was the incredible graffiti art on the top two levels of the Roosevelt Warehouse. It was not just plentiful, but a beautiful array of colors and styles. I wonder if anyone made documentation of this during that period. It would have been 2005-2008-ish.

Heard a rumor that there might be some type of Museum/Showcase in the area for Ford.

As well as a big play for Philanthropy Arm of Ford and Community Involvement.

At Detroit Solider -- my friend Vanessa photographed that, and it should be in her new book, due out next year.

Possible parking deck coming in Corktown near old Tiger Stadium to put a place for all the Ford employees.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ion/702123002/

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Possible parking deck coming in Corktown near old Tiger Stadium to put a place for all the Ford employees.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ion/702123002/
    Ford needs to go for Gilbert esk parking structures. Retail/Commerical space on the first floor. Corktown still needs so decent basic amenities like a pharmacy

This has been in the paper a few times when talking about the area immediately around the station:

Name:  636572456898107450-moroun-map.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  53.0 KB

The Morouns really don't own much aside from the train station and book repository in this area. The city is actually the biggest landowner in this area of town.

22. Default In auto talent war, GM hires 9,000, spends $1 billion on offices

Looks like GM is feeling the need to keep up with the Fords's in the young hip talent race. Umm... How about Fisher 21 that made so many cars for you? Right in the center of smoking-hot New Center - Milwaukee Junction - North End?

From todays Free Press:
    From five years ago, 40% of GM's 67,000 salaried full-time global workers are new, said Arena.

Now GM must keep those people. And it suddenly faces an increased likelihood of talent-poaching from crosstown rival Ford Motor Co., consultants said. On Monday, Ford said it is buying the old train station near Detroit's hip Corktown neighborhood. Ford is expected to provide details next week about its plans to renovate the long-vacant train depot as the hub of a campus for advanced automotive technology.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ion/692611002/

I'm very curious to see how many employees Ford plans to house in Corktown now and whether that will be enough to spur expansion of transit down Michigan Ave.

Goodness I wish I would have purchased on of those unused lots over there last year!! Great investment, now that Ford is engaging the area.

Bill Ford Jr. has leaked the plans Ford has for Corktown in a recdnt interview with thevDetroit News.

The plan is to have ultimately 5,000 Ford employees occupying this campus. Everything else besides the autonomous vehicle work will stay in Dearborn.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ion/702723002/

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast