Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Are they simply looking for space available now or a place where they can expand? It sounds like they have a two decade plan which makes me think that they would like to move soon but not necessarily in months. I imagine a two year timeline for Monroe would work for them and allow them to accumulate talent to hit the ground running as well as planning future expansion.
    According to the RFP it says there's an initial requirement of 500,000 sqft for phase 1 in 2019. Preference will be shown to cities that meet this requirement OR greenfield site that has adequate enough infrastructure to meet development demands. So yeah, better get going on those Hudsons and Monroe block projects. I'm just worried about the painfully slow development timelines of so many past and current office projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I've seen some confusion about this on the newspaper comment sections too, but this is for an office campus, not a warehouse. Their HQ operations are 100% independent from their fulfillment centers.

Yes,you are right . Following the sub links in the original link it appears as strictly office technology based,kinda kills the whole distribution discussion.

Shovel ready project,stick them in the P building ?

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    According to the RFP it says there's an initial requirement of 500,000 sqft for phase 1 in 2019. Preference will be shown to cities that meet this requirement OR greenfield site that has adequate enough infrastructure to meet development demands. So yeah, better get going on those Hudsons and Monroe block projects. I'm just worried about the painfully slow development timelines of so many past and current office projects.
    If Amazon agrees to come here I imagine you would see some sped up timelines, especially if Gilbert is involved. Hell DG would move his employees out of the city temporarily if it meant freeing up enough space for Amazon to start in 2019 until other options are available.

Did someone say they could use an extra empty block?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; September-08-17 at 05:17 PM.

All this talk is so exciting and so fitting for a city with such heritage and on its monumental rebound. What a way to usher in the rebirth with an entirely new industry, look and feel. I'm very proud about what's already happened recently and excited about what potential Detroit has in future. Looking forward to finally moving down once my place is built.

If Amazon agrees to come here I imagine you would see some sped up timelines, especially if Gilbert is involved. Hell DG would move his employees out of the city temporarily if it meant freeing up enough space for Amazon to start in 2019 until other options are available.
    I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I've always wished a company such as or similar to amazon would just renovate, fill and expand the whole Packard Plant site. Not only would a historic structure see a new life, but a new neighborhood that is almost entirely gutted could be rebuilt which would further rationalize rapid transit planning from downtown to neighborhoods.

An exploratory and PUBLIC RELATIONS strategy meeting over Detroit's bid should be called immediately by the principals, Mayor, Gilbert, Council members, for anyone who could have a microphone shoved in their face to weigh in.

Obviously this will be a highly competitive situation between possible locations and It's critical nobody go on the record saying something off the cuff that could be interpreted as wrong, stupid, selfish etc... [[ there is a long list of what you don't want to say publicly) that could be used against Detroit by the competition.

Immediately should be like on Saturday this weekend.

Showing intelligence and sounding the same will make a difference in this race of many cities throughout the process.

An exploratory and PUBLIC RELATIONS strategy meeting over Detroit's bid should be called immediately by the principals, Mayor, Gilbert, Council members, for anyone who could have a microphone shoved in their face to weigh in.

Obviously this will be a highly competitive situation between possible locations and It's critical nobody go on the record saying something off the cuff that could be interpreted as wrong, stupid, selfish etc... [[ there is a long list of what you don't want to say publicly) that could be used against Detroit by the competition.

Immediately should be this weekend.

Showing intelligence and sounding the same will make a difference in this race of many cities throughout the process.

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I've always wished a company such as or similar to amazon would just renovate, fill and expand the whole Packard Plant site. Not only would a historic structure see a new life, but a new neighborhood that is almost entirely gutted could be rebuilt which would further rationalize rapid transit planning from downtown to neighborhoods.

I also would like to see something dramatic happen around Cadillac Place and the Fischer building. I can imagine a very strong integration of older buildings within a modern day framework. Detroit definitely has a lot of opportunity to build one or a couple of campuses incrementally, and match the beautiful clusters of older skyscrapers with new stunners. A nice necklace of buildings amid vast greenspaces from downtown to midtown and New Center.

I'm rooting for Detroit, even if Montreal is competing for the high stakes prize.

I'll guess a brand new skyscraper. That said, what has Amazon in SEATTLE done? Could learn some lessons as to their preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I'll guess a brand new skyscraper. That said, what has Amazon in SEATTLE done? Could learn some lessons as to their preferences.
    Several new skyscrapers throughout the city.

It might help a bit to understand a little about Jeff Bezos. The guy is willing to take a chance, and has invested in things that are not sure things like Blue Origin, his manned spacecraft indevor, and The Washington Post. He was an early investor in Google, and nobody out here [[I live in Washington and what Amazon does, like Boeing, is BIG news) has figured out the Whole Foods thing. Bezos is a bit unpredictable [[but a good businessman) and the idea of Detroit as a hub is not as far fetched as it may seem.

Groceries and drones,call in on your way home and dinner is waiting,no need for a wife.

How big is the jail site?

It's considered sexist to expect your wife to cook 🙄

How about the old Douglass Brewster?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Part of me thinks this is a stunt by Amazon to put pressure on Seattle, but if not then I would put Detroit's chances comfortably in the top 10, if not top 5.

Detroit has:
    Population
    Proximity to education
    Relative low cost of living
    Large airport and easy access to other population centers

Transit is the only box that it doesn't check well, and the only cities I can think of that would be able to do that well and still provide relatively lower costs of living are Chicago and Philly.

My guess is that the top competitors would look something like:
    1. Chicago or Dallas
    2. Toronto
    3. Philadelphia
    4. Atlanta or Charlotte
    5. Detroit or Pittsburgh
    I didn't think about this before, but I have to add Newark to the list. If they have the space there that Amazon needs then I imagine Newark could be a top contender.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I didn't think about this before, but I have to add Newark to the list. If they have the space there that Amazon needs then I imagine Newark could be a top contender.
    What? Why? I'm sure Jersey city would have a better shot.

I will admit, I was a bit irritated to find out that both Ann Arbor and Oakland County are submitting their own separate bids. For all intents and purposes, being a part of Metro Detroit, they would be far better served if they poured their energy into a Detroit bid [[as a stronger Detroit that's competitive with cities like Dallas or Atlanta will no doubt significantly benefit housing values in Oakland County and the University of Michigan).

I feel the same about Grand Rapids as well. Although it's slightly bigger and technically on the west side of the state, they don't even have the big city infrastructure Amazon desires.

IMO, it should be a combined statewide effort by all to get this in Detroit [[who needs it more than any city), especially downtown Detroit. No ifs, ands or buts.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-09-17 at 06:44 AM.

Of course Oakland County would do that. Sigh.

I wonder if the Detroit bid could get the blessing of Gov. Snyder's office. If it appears that state government is behind Detroit Amazon may completely dismiss the other local bids. I could see AA being an appealing place for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Did someone say they could use an extra empty block?
    Yes! Perhaps we could even pry that premier parking lot on the Tuller site from its current owner. Fronting a park like Grand Circus would be a nice little bonus for any potential bid.

Every city in the country is bidding. Google Minneapolis, Philly, etc. etc. and you will get a flood of articles on why they think they can win.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Every city in the country is bidding. Google Minneapolis, Philly, etc. etc. and you will get a flood of articles on why they think they can win.
    Folks [[cities) need to be honest in their hopes. There might be dozens of contestants and ONE winner. So any one cities chances might be say 5 or at best 10%.

It would be completely suicidal for any one area to have multiple bids.

In the case of S.E. Michigan, Oakland and Washtenaw would need to let Gilbert carry the water and he'd do it for Detroit.

Oakland needs to realize if Detroit gets the HQ 2, a lot of the workers would live in OC and Ann Arbor realize that it would provide good employment hopes for UofM grads.

The Palace site would be a complete anathema to Gilbert.
    Last edited by emu steve; September-09-17 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I get that.

But to my point, what you don't have happening is Trenton, NJ or Bloomington, MN submitting competing bids.

Of course Oakland County would do that. Sigh.

I wonder if the Detroit bid could get the blessing of Gov. Snyder's office.
    If it appears that state government is behind Detroit Amazon may completely dismiss the other local bids. I could see AA being an appealing place for them.
    That would be the logical thing to do IMO, and his record suggests he would likely do so. That said, his statement about "Michigan" being a good place for Amazon [[without specifying "Detroit" or any particular city) sort of has me going "umm, what?"

What? Why? I'm sure Jersey city would have a better shot.
    Cost wise, I think Newark would have a better chance. Plus I am not sure Amazon would want to have a second HQ in New York for risk of having it overshadow the original HQ, but JC is just an extension of Manhattan. Newark is close enough to benefit from proximity to NYC but just far enough to establish boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I will admit, I was a bit irritated to find out that both Ann Arbor and Oakland County are submitting their own separate bids. For all intents and purposes, being a part of Metro Detroit, they would be far better served if they poured their energy into a Detroit bid [[as a stronger Detroit that's competitive with cities like Dallas or Atlanta will no doubt significantly benefit housing values in Oakland County and the University of Michigan).

I feel the same about Grand Rapids as well. Although it's slightly bigger and technically on the west side of the state, they don't even have the big city infrastructure Amazon desires.

IMO, it should be a combined statewide effort by all to get this in Detroit [[who needs it more than any city), especially downtown Detroit. No ifs, ands or buts.
    Oakland County has a 0% chance at landing this by itself. But if it makes sense to propose any place in s/e Michigan besides Detroit then it would be Ann Arbor.

Maybe Detroit and Windsor should do a joint proposal. That's certainly something they could both play up to trump Toronto.

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast