Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1332

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I think you are missing my point:

I assume the Amazon HR and planning folks would recommend a city which scores very high on desirability of potential employees.

MANY folks would not want to live in NYC for various reasons such as huge size, commute, cost of living, etc.

It can be a 'culture shock.' I've lived almost all of my life in S.E. MIchigan and D.C. area. I love big cities, but I still feel intimated by the size, etc. of the NYC area. I can see people being intimated by L.A. area [[and I love So. Cal.).
    Even using that logic, the biggest companies are in the biggest cities. So if a place wanted to increase their economic competitiveness then it follows that they would emulate the biggest cities.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Even using that logic, the biggest companies are in the biggest cities. So if a place wanted to increase their economic competitiveness then it follows that they would emulate the biggest cities.
    Plenty of big cities not named NYC. A list is in Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

Here is an article suggesting BOS and D.C. their picks as the top 2.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...zon-s-hq2.html

Plenty of big cities not named NYC. A list is in Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

Here is an article suggesting BOS and D.C. their picks as the top 2.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...zon-s-hq2.html
    I was responding to what your comment suggested, which is that Detroit should be place-making for people from podunk places that are not comfortable in the big city.

So if I were a millenial looking to change employers: D.C. - yes!!!, Detroit - yes. NYC - No.

Using NYC-area as an example. Would someone from a rural or small city college feel comfortable in NYC? S.F.?

Nobody is choosing between Detroit and D.C. on style. If D.C. is an option then it's probably D.C. 99.9999% of the time unless there is a family connection to Detroit to consider. Now people may be choosing between NYC and D.C., but NYC obviously wins out the vast majority of the time, hence it being the city with the far bigger population.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I was responding to what your comment suggested, which is that Detroit should be place-making for people from podunk places that are not comfortable in the big city.

Nobody is choosing between Detroit and D.C. on style. If D.C. is an option then it's probably D.C. 99.9999% of the time unless there is a family connection to Detroit to consider. Now people may be choosing between NYC and D.C., but NYC obviously wins out the vast majority of the time, hence it being the city with the far bigger population.
    I ABSOLUTELY did not make your first comment.

I think that a lot of folks would not be comfortable in NYC, S.F., D.C. for many different reasons. Lot of it is the cultural or political or religious divide in this country. I would never want to live in Oklahoma [[and many other such states) and many Americans would never want to live in say NYC, S.F., D.C, etc.

No reference to Detroit was made or intended.

As far as comments about D.C., Detroit, and NYC it was my ranking 1, 2 and 3.

I would go crazy living in Trump Tower if i were rich and had a unit there.

Seems these posts boil down to the fact I don't like NYC. I don't like to visit it, wouldn't want to live there, etc.

As far as NYC it is hardly growing from 1960 - 2010. Modest growth.

7.8M to 8.2M. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City

Look at Los Angeles from 1960 - 2010. Went from 2.5M to 3.8M.
    Last edited by emu steve; April-23-18 at 05:43 PM.

I think that a lot of folks would not be comfortable in NYC, S.F., D.C. for many different reasons. Lot of it is the cultural or political or religious divide in this country. I would never want to live in Oklahoma [[and many other such states) and many Americans would never want to live in say NYC, S.F., D.C, etc.
    But a lot of folks are comfortable with living in those places, which is why they are among the nation's largest cities.

As far as NYC it is hardly growing from 1960 - 2010. Modest growth.

7.8M to 8.2M. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City
    New York lost 800,000 residents between 1970 and 1980. So actually, New York added 1.2M residents between 1980 and 2010. Using the 2017 estimate of 8.5M, New York has added more residents since 1980 than the entire populations of Boston and D.C. combined.

No reference to Detroit was made or intended.
    I see no reason why Amazon should steer away from a big city because the idea of living there might turn off some guy who was raised in Cornpone Nebraska where there are more cattle than people and is scared at the idea of living in a city with more than two black people and where he might *gasp* see a gay couple holding hands in public.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    I see no reason why Amazon should steer away from a big city because the idea of living there might turn off some guy who was raised in Cornpone Nebraska where there are more cattle than people and is scared at the idea of living in a city with more than two black people and where he might *gasp* see a gay couple holding hands in public.
    Ridicule is a powerful weapon, just like "acting the fool" in public will suppress most resistance. However, what long term benefit is there when all respectable people run from you for fear of your next outburst, and you're left with only the few people who think that it's appropriate behavior?

Is it your belief that respectable people will associate with someone who shows little or no respect for them?

I still feel that Amazon could open a small office in downtown Detroit. Google and Microsoft had already opened or move their offices in the downtown area. Too bad the the second Headquarters idea is dead in the water for Detroit. This city had started too late to get the ball rolling especially with the transportation. Maybe another well known company's could look to Detroit relocate it's main headquarter or a second headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Ridicule is a powerful weapon, just like "acting the fool" in public will suppress most resistance. However, what long term benefit is there when all respectable people run from you for fear of your next outburst, and you're left with only the few people who think that it's appropriate behavior?

Is it your belief that respectable people will associate with someone who shows little or no respect for them?
    I have no idea what any of this has to do with the thread. Could you connect the dots here?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I have no idea what any of this has to do with the thread. Could you connect the dots here?
    Why would Amazon invest in the midst of people among whom undesirable behavior is prominent, which may be Detroit?

Amazon already has a small office in Detroit.

Why would Amazon invest in the midst of people among whom undesirable behavior is prominent, which may be Detroit?
    What specific "undesirable behavior" is prominent in Detroit, and what does this have to do with Amazon? Moreover, what does this have to do with your previous post?

Amazon already has thousands of employees in the region, BTW.

What specific "undesirable behavior" is prominent in Detroit, and what does this have to do with Amazon? Moreover, what does this have to do with your previous post?

Amazon already has thousands of employees in the region, BTW.
    I'm sorry if you're under some misconception, but I haven't presented myself for interrogation by joining this forum. If there's a problem with my opinions, I have no reservations about moving to the next forum to pass a little disposable time.

I'm sorry if you're under some misconception, but I haven't presented myself for interrogation by joining this forum. If there's a problem with my opinions, I have no reservations about moving to the next forum to pass a little disposable time.
    If you're gonna post random, obtuse statements, seemingly unrelated to the topic, confusing everyone, obviously people might comment.

If you're gonna post random, obtuse statements, seemingly unrelated to the topic, confusing everyone, obviously people might comment.
    I appreciate your demonstration of that, yet it doesn't justify your poor manners.

I appreciate your demonstration of that, yet it doesn't justify your poor manners.
    While it is most certainly true that Bham can be ill-mannered, LOL; having gone back and read his posts in this thread, I don't think he was here.

He made fair points to and asked fair questions of a poster who [[you) who posted something straight out of left field that seems completely unrelated to the topic at hand and was expressed in such way no reasonable person could find a linkage.

The statement itself also seemed confused and incoherent.

Its not ill-mannered to say so, its ill-mannered to make such a statement.

You're not the first to be guilty of posting w/o forethought, but others are called to account too, you don't get a free pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    The statement itself also seemed confused and incoherent.

Its not ill-mannered to say so, its ill-mannered to make such a statement.

You're not the first to be guilty of posting w/o forethought, but others are called to account too, you don't get a free pass.
    Last post because I don't care more than this, and we'll all move on happy as we were

It's rude to interrogate people. It doesn't matter what you don't understand or what you disagree with. In fact, asking questions in a polite fashion is somewhat difficult because direct questioning is borderline rude.

Have a great life!

It's rude to interrogate people. It doesn't matter what you don't understand or what you disagree with. In fact, asking questions in a polite fashion is somewhat difficult because direct questioning is borderline rude.
    He asked you to clarify a statement that you made, which none of us understood. Hardly an interrogation.

I would say when I first took interest in Detroit the administration at the time was very anti outsider,you had to be a part of that click,which was actually what brought me to this site, looking for answers,oddly enough the only person that offered assistance to an outsider at that time was someone that was disliked in the community,it was also noticeable on this site not so much anymore.

My first thought was screw this there are hundreds of cities in the country.

But that general attitude seems to have changed,but I have not retried yet so who knows.

What you wrote does play into the relocation picture because sometimes residents do not want change and prefer things to stay as they are,and will act out to get the point across.

On the non corperate level you see it in regenifing neighborhoods,some will ride it out while others will say life is to short for this and leave.

It does effect quality of life for employees and attitude if they go home to a stressful situation,even more so for a corperation when they invest hundreds of millions and find out the hard way,they just cannot stick a for sale sign up and walk away.

In case anyone is interested in the financial market 'temperature' over the possibility of HQ2 in NoVa.

This is an article about a company which would be a big winner if HQ2 came to Arlington/Alexandria. Some are bidding up the stock speculating that Arl/Alex could be selected and this company would be a big, big winner.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...073&j=81274461

Once again, for those who may have tuned out, when Detroit was out, D.C. area arguably has at least 4 possible sites: Arlington/Alexandria and at least one further out in Fairfax County or by Dulles Airport, A D.C. site near Nationals Park and also Montgomery County [[in Maryland).

I don't know if other cities are pitching multiple sites.
    Last edited by emu steve; April-27-18 at 04:13 PM.

Default Detroit Michigan's secret

"The Michigan Economic Development Corp. in recent days has denied for the second time the Free Press's Freedom of Information appeal for the total amount of subsidies offered Amazon."

MEDC said it must withhold the amount of public subsidies
    offered Amazon in the Detroit bid because of a non-disclosure agreement
    the state signed with businessman Dan Gilbert's Bedrock real estate arm

http://komonews.com/news/local/amazo...ction-projects

I reiterate my point that Amazon is a super manipulator when it comes to its real estate [[and probably everything else). I said when Amazon announced its "contest" for HQ2 that they already knew where they wanted to build, and were just using it as a pretext to extract a crazier-than-anything-the-Ilitches-have-been-accused-of deal from the host city. They will demand virtual autonomy on their operations, tax breaks, job training subsidies, public transit connections, etc. This is what they're doing to their current home town. Note: I almost certainly would also oppose the tax proposal, but I don't favor holding your real estate hostage to manipulate the city council. Also, this implies that an unhappy Amazon moves whenever its will is not carried out. There's a real chance, I think, HQ2 becomes HQ1 sooner rather than later, especially since Seattle is only lurching further left. And that last point is funny to me, because Amazon's leadership and corporate governance are very liberal, but they don't want to operate under the policies they favor. Like wealthy Massachusetts liberals moving to New Hampshire. I think Detroit dodged a potential bullet in not getting Amazon, and we are booming anyways. Good luck to the "winner" and their soon-to-be corporate overlords.

While there are a lot of negatives to the Amazon bid, I would not go as far as to say Detroit is "booming" especially with our dependence on a notoriously up and down auto industry.

I would say booming because: we have reversed the outflux to an influx of residents, businesses, and visitors to the city. And because in past years you almost couldn't give land and buildings away in the city. Now you pay real money for them, and there are now problems with lack of availablity in some places. Good problems to have.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post

I reiterate my point that Amazon is a super manipulator when it comes to its real estate [[and probably everything else). I said when Amazon announced its "contest" for HQ2 that they already knew where they wanted to build, and were just using it as a pretext to extract a crazier-than-anything-the-Ilitches-have-been-accused-of deal from the host city.
    Exactly. There is no Amazon HQ2. The whole thing is a scam, and it's really pathetic how cities are whoring themselves.

Amazon started this "HQ2 Search" right after Seattle announced it was considering a payroll tax. It's all smoke and mirrors to extract maximum benefits from Seattle. They aren't building another HQ and city leaders should be ashamed.

Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 52 ... LastLast