Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 33 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1332

Amazon's claim that transit is a vitally important element to a winning HQ2 bid presumably means that Nashville is now out of the running despite making the first cut. A couple of days ago, Nashville area voters soundly defeated a comprehensive $5.4 billion transit plan that included light rail and BRT. https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...sit/564991002/ Nashville's current bus-only system makes Detroit's system look first rate. Recent job growth in Music City, especially in the downtown area, has generated Atlanta-like traffic problems. If Amazon HQ2 now does go to Nashville, it will raise a lot of questions about the evaluation process. [[Not that lots of questions haven't been raised already,)

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Amazon's claim that transit is a vitally important element to a winning HQ2 bid presumably means that Nashville is now out of the running despite making the first cut. A couple of days ago, Nashville area voters soundly defeated a comprehensive $5.4 billion transit plan that included light rail and BRT. https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...sit/564991002/ Nashville's current bus-only system makes Detroit's system look first rate. Recent job growth in Music City, especially in the downtown area, has generated Atlanta-like traffic problems. If Amazon HQ2 now does go to Nashville, it will raise a lot of questions about the evaluation process. [[Not that lots of questions haven't been raised already,)
    They were never in the running, anyway. Nashville is too small. Another mid-size city that I no longer think is in the running is Austin. A lot of the lists placed high odds on Austin but the tech companies already operating outposts there are having a tough time getting the talent to fill the positions. Nashville would have an even tougher time, since the tech talent base isn't as developed.

This doesn't bother anyone ?????

MEDC said it must withhold the amount of public subsidies
    offered Amazon in the Detroit bid because of a non-disclosure agreement
    the state signed with businessman Dan Gilbert's Bedrock real estate arm

Re-iterate : The STATE had a NDA with a real estate company

^ Cleveland went through the same thing.

http://www.cleveland.com/naymik/inde...w_good_or.html

"I find [NOACA] has failed to show that any information in the HQ2 document constitutes trade secret," Clark wrote in an 18-page decision.
    Last edited by Richard; May-03-18 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Amazon's claim that transit is a vitally important element to a winning HQ2 bid presumably means that Nashville is now out of the running
    Given that Amazon is HQ in Seattle, a city that didn't have any rail until a few years ago [[and even now has a very rudimentary system) I think the idea that they value transit is pretty far-fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Given that Amazon is HQ in Seattle, a city that didn't have any rail until a few years ago [[and even now has a very rudimentary system) I think the idea that they value transit is pretty far-fetched.
    I'm not sure I follow [[or agree) with your logic.

Are you saying that the requirements today are the same as they were when Amazon was founded over two decades ago?

Or to flip the question: If Amazon would be a new startup today would they still pick Seattle?

[[my) Answer: I doubt it.

Things change over time. Amazon today has no resemblance to the startup of decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I'm not sure I follow [[or agree) with your logic.
    No, I'm saying if they're based in a city with basically no rail, why would we take them seriously if they say rail is a factor?

If rail is a Big Deal to them, NYC would be the only [[U.S.) option. Every other U.S. metro has overwhelming non-rail modal share.

No, I'm saying if they're based in a city with basically no rail, why would we take them seriously if they say rail is a factor?

If rail is a Big Deal to them, NYC would be the only [[U.S.) option. Every other U.S. metro has overwhelming non-rail modal share.
    I would think that many of the REPORTED finalists [[I know educated guesses, or uneducated guesses, if you will) have very strong rail.

Many look at cities like BOS, D.C. [[3 sites), NYC, ATL, etc. and all have strong rail systems.

I do NOT know if lack of a good rail system is a 'deal breaker', but the most of the "finalists" have good rail systems.

Austin is the kicker. It isn't an Eastern city will a long history of rail. [[here is a 3-year old article on subway 'plans': https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...stem/21741189/

P.S. I do not consider Nashville a finalist. If they are selected, I'll eat crow.
    Last edited by emu steve; May-04-18 at 01:11 PM.

And yet even their lackluster public transit is still better than what Detroit has. At least Seattle has a light rail system that connects their airport to Downtown Seattle [[with numerous stops along the way). We don't even have that.

I think you missed emu steve's point completely. Amazon was incorporated in Seattle in 1994. At the time, they had less than 150 employees. I doubt public mass transit was important to Jeff Bezos at the time when he chose Seattle. Obviously, their priorities changed as they got 5000X bigger over the years. Their Seattle location is a legacy from their early days as a tiny tech startup.
    Last edited by aj3647; May-04-18 at 02:00 PM.

It's not even true Seattle's transit system is lackluster. They're served by streetcars, light rail, commuter rail, and Amtrak. They're investing heavily in their light rail system [[by American standards). And besides, most of all, Seattle has an excellent bus system. I strongly prefer rail transit to buses, but it's disingenuous to limit a transit discussion to rail.

According to Citylab, the center of Amazon's campus rated an outstanding walk score of 98 and a transit score of 90. And that was 6 years ago. Transit in Seattle has only improved since then.

How Amazon Got the Urban Campus Right
    https://www.citylab.com/life/2012/03...us-right/1485/
    Last edited by bust; May-04-18 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    And yet even their lackluster public transit is still better than what Detroit has. At least Seattle has a light rail system that connects their airport to Downtown Seattle [[with numerous stops along the way). We don't even have that.

I think you missed emu steve's point completely. Amazon was incorporated in Seattle in 1994. At the time, they had less than 150 employees. I doubt public mass transit was important to Jeff Bezos at the time when he chose Seattle. Obviously, their priorities changed as they got 5000X bigger over the years. Their Seattle location is a legacy from their early days as a tiny tech startup.
    Thank you!!!

When we talk about Seattle, Detroit, etc. etc. we really need to do our homework and have a longitudinal perspective.

Who would have known or guessed what Amazon would become [[if we had guessed we could have bought stock. Saw something that 1K invested in 1998 [[?) would be worth 19.5K today, assuming dividends reinvested) what it is today.

Too often we don't view things be it Amazon, Detroit, etc. as they evolve say over time periods [[e.g., decades).

And when we discuss things like subway systems we are talking about systems which may take decades to formulate, approve, get funding, get built, etc. [[There are extensions to the D.C. subway line which were in the works for over 20 years).

To pivot back to HQ2, maybe Austin does get a 21st century mass transit system, but to get approval, funding and build an UNDERGROUND system well, I'd guess a lot [[most?) of 65 year old baby boomers in Austin may not live long enough to see it finished.

The Silver Line [[NoVa) was formally proposed in 2000. The first leg was finished in 2014. The 2nd part isn't expected to be completed until 2020, or later. That is a total of 11 station from a Falls Church, Va. station to beyond Dulles airport. Eleven stations = 20 years [[and counting).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver...hington_Metro)
    Last edited by emu steve; May-04-18 at 04:13 PM.

Thank you!!!

When we talk about Seattle, Detroit, etc. etc. we really need to do our homework and have a longitudinal perspective.
    Seattle has one rail line, and it's only light rail, for a metro over 4 million people. That's pathetic by international standards, almost unfathomable outside the U.S. context.

Again, if they cared about rail transit, they wouldn't be in Seattle, a city probably in the lowest 2 or 3 percentiles for cities its size terms of rail transit coverage.

And why would Amazon care about long-term plans? In 30 years Amazon might not even exist. If they really wanted a HQ2 [[they don't), they would need the transit from the onset.

Seattle has one rail line, and it's only light rail, for a metro over 4 million people. That's pathetic by international standards, almost unfathomable outside the U.S. context.

Again, if they cared about rail transit, they wouldn't be in Seattle, a city probably in the lowest 2 or 3 percentiles for cities its size terms of rail transit coverage.

And why would Amazon care about long-term plans? In 30 years Amazon might not even exist. If they really wanted a HQ2 [[they don't), they would need the transit from the onset.
    Fair enough, but building a heavy rail system takes decades and Amazon hasn't been really big that long.

I refer you back to my post about the D.C. area subway system which took [[taking, present tense) 20 years to add 11 stations, none underground.

I doubt Seattle could keep up mass transit wise with the explosive growth of Amazon.

If I were advising Amazon, I'd STRONGLY suggest a city with BUILT subway system. It is too hard to build one from scratch within a timely fashion.

Should your STATE use the taxes, undisclosed to a FOIA, for real estate ?

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...760#post547760

Amazon hasn't said that it needs rail. It said that it needs viable, efficient mass transit. Transit is more than just rail.

That said, Seattle has 23 miles of light rail with 18 more under construction. 19 additional miles will be built by 2024. That might pale in global terms but it is massive by US standards.

45% of Central Business District workers in Seattle use some form of mass transit. That's a huge number for a US city. Seattle's bus system is world class and doesn't suffer just because light rail is also being built.

HQ2 may indeed go to a city without robust transit, but that would be a change from Amazon's experience with HQ1.

This post is really getting O/T to Detroit:

Apple is looking for a major site an East Coast site. The way the article is written Apple seems to be looking at No. Virginia.

Doesn't appear to be a beauty contest with bidders offering tons of incentives.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.e39547c667f1

One could speculate that NoVa might get Apple and Amazon may go elsewhere like BOS, ATL, etc.

Can we beat a dead rotten horse corpse into microscopic pieces ....

Detroit lost, move on

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Can we beat a dead rotten horse corpse into microscopic pieces ....

Detroit lost, move on
    This thread seems to have evolved into a thread of a bunch of stuff like transit, major development, government's role in landing major employers, etc. etc.

This forum doesn't have topic like one might see in an academic class:

"The role of mass transit in commercial and residential development".

"The role of government incentives in attempts to get businesses to relocate."

I'm counting a Dead Horse as failed transport - didn't get the job done
    http://bit.ly/DeadHorseTransport

One could speculate that NoVa might get Apple and Amazon may go elsewhere like BOS, ATL, etc.
    I just read that Arlington TX just got dropped from the list... wondering if some other cities didn't also quietly get dropped by Amazon....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I just read that Arlington TX just got dropped from the list... wondering if some other cities didn't also quietly get dropped by Amazon....
    More on that:

On Tuesday, Arlington officialsannounced Amazon passed on the city, stating it is "no longer moving forward in the selection process" for HQ2. Arlington was informed of the tech giant's decision in recent weeks.

"I think they're looking for a more advanced urban setting," Mayor Jeff Williams told CNNMoney.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/16/technology/amazon-hq2-arlington-texas/index.html
    My bet is still on Boston or Toronto. I also think this elevates the odds of a Newark or Brooklyn. I think this doesn't bode well for a DC area bid, as those bids were suburban-site heavy.

And you know, I'm gung ho for mass transit, but who knows if the atomization of vehicular choices will not make mass transit redundant at the end of the day. I mean, as you say, who can tell whether the fine grained business model of Amazon delivery is more or less sustainable in the long run.

In that sense, Detroit would come out on top for having opted out of transit options in time to make way for an ever increasing use of individual mobility.
    Last edited by canuck; May-19-18 at 03:16 PM.

I don’t think anyone has any level of certainty on Amazons final choice. Why would they F#ck themselves by giving any hints? For all we know, The D could still be in the running. After all, their apparent “disqualification” of Detroit confused the smartest of folks around here.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I don’t think anyone has any level of certainty on Amazons final choice. Why would they F#ck themselves by giving any hints? For all we know, The D could still be in the running. After all, their apparent “disqualification” of Detroit confused the smartest of folks around here.
    Amazon explicitly said that they are no longer considering Detroit. What more proof could we be given?

Exactly - No means no - and no amount of wishing/hoping/praying
    is going to change that fact. The D lost, and it doesn't get a 2nd chance.

Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 33 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 53 ... LastLast